Carry guns with a micro dot mounted?

Very nice. I'd be concerned that there might not be enough room on the Compact slide for BUIS. I wonder if you could use the JPoint housing as a rear sight? Also, nice use of that awesome grip-tape. I'm going to have to order some more.

Your and Supermoto's explanation about dot-tracking makes sense, but I've just become used to tracking the front-sight all the way [hmmm].

Is height-over-bore a poa-poi issue with the non-melted mount? I think that might be a good way to try it out, although it seems like melting is only in the 200$ range.

The JPoint has a notch in the housing to act as a rear sight. Once melted, you just have to match it to a front sight and you are good to go. No need for an additional rear sight. BTW - no grip tape on this. I stippled the strap, front grip and thumb points. The height-over-bore a poa-poi is an issue, I ran out of elevation on the JPoint and couldn't get it exact with the 40. With the 9mm conversion I was able to achieve POI-POA. Another reason why it should be melted (or you can shim it).

Dench - Bowie tactical does an awesome job melting micro's into slides. He has pricing on his website.

I've been testing a JPoint on my carry gun for the past 8 months or so. I decided to try the dovetail mount before I invested in the slide milling. Here is my personal experience so far:

The micro really should be melted in. It sits too high on a dovetail mount and even with shooting it a couple times a week for months, under stress training my natural point was still higher - meaning I had trouble finding the dot. B/c of the micro height, you have to bring the gun down slightly to pick it up.

I built a "Poor Mans Open Minor 10 M&P" ™ for steel challenge & knockdown steel. I put a C-More STS in a dovetail mount for the same reasons. It definitely sits too high. My mount is even taller than the one in your picture. It was a cheap way to try it out before cutting up a slide. Having the slide milled is now on the the short list.

Quotes are from Zerodown

I've been testing a JPoint on my carry gun for the past 8 months or so.

The J Point is the one I like also as I said in my post.

The micro really should be melted in. It sits too high on a dovetail mount

Ya that was my thinking also

Its unbelievably fast. Shooting on the move, awkward angles, etc are a lot easier.

I thought it would be, as I said I shoot that type of sight on one of my 10/22's and my Bulls Eye guns and I realy like them.

No issues with either 40 or 9mm. I actually found it was easier to shoot the 40 accurately in my M&P compact.

I'm glad to hear that, as my two M&P's that I'm thinking of doing that with are 40's

Concealment is a bit awkward. I carry a little past 3:00.

What type of holster do you use ??? Is it OWB or IWB ??? I'm also a lefty and I don't realy have that type of problem. I carry OWB with thumb break holsters, maybe the extra leather there is helping me.

So overall I think its a worthwhile addition to a carry gun,

Again that is very good to hear

Thanks

David

Last edited:
Having the slide milled is now on the the short list.

I like the idea that someone else said and the way I'm going to do it when I get one of the J Point sights.

I'm going to get another slide and have the J Point sight put on that new slide and keep the other one set up with my Big Dot sight.

Interesting. I'd have to see one and try it, seems weird but makes sense in a way I guess.

How fast does it come off, if it comes off?

Interesting. I'd have to see one and try it, seems weird but makes sense in a way I guess.

How fast does it come off, if it comes off?

If I decide to do one, I would do it on a second slide so I could use the pistol as it was from the factory, I don't think they come off very easily, but that is just my reading of it anyways.

I'm fast with a wrench,. but not fast enough. The fact that there are some form of irons helps.

I saw this setup on the TV awhile back and forgot, now must have. Thanks for indirectly spending my money.

Last edited:
Ya the one I linked to does use a battery.

The RM01 is battery powered, I didn'r see the other one until meth0d posted it.

Here's another link to the battery one:

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Dual-Illuminated

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=RMR

The Dual Illuminated does not run on batteries, I'm not sure why you keep posting that it does

What is the Dual-Illuminated RMR™ battery life?

The RM03, RM04, RM05 and RM08 is battery-free. The illumination sources for the reticles inside the Dual-Illuminated RMR are tritium and fiber optics.

The Dual Illuminated does not run on batteries, I'm not sure why you keep posting that it does

Maybe we're seeing a different page? Mine reads:

About 20 minutes using the standard 3x9 Volt Battery Housing, or 30 minutes using the enhanced dual car-battery backpack addon. It also be powered using the built-in "Dual Illumination" handcrank.

About 20 minutes using the standard 3x9 Volt Battery Housing, or 30 minutes using the enhanced dual car-battery backpack addon. It also be powered using the built-in "Dual Illumination" handcrank.

30 min with a car battery backpack.... [rofl].

Please tell me you be trollin' [smile]

Last edited:

Well if you would go to their sight and look at it you may see different.

They say right on their sight that one model runs a battery, are you saying that Trijicon doesn't know their own product ???

Instead of just answering that they don't run a battery why don't you look this time.

Yes they make them both ways acorrding to THEIR WEBSIGHT.

Look at their sight and learn something.

Last I'm saying on this, this line of posting is taking this thread away from this threads idea.

Right from their website, it even says Illuminated in their web link:

Trijicon RMR™
Developed to improve precision and accuracy with any style or caliber of weapon, the Trijicon RMR™ (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) is designed to be as durable as the legendary ACOG. The RM01 is an LED sight powered by a standard CR2032 battery. Housed in rugged forged aluminum, the RMR is extremely tough yet lightweight. New easy-to-use adjusters with audible clicks allow for quick windage and elevation adjustments. The new Trijicon RMR™ is tougher than any alternative and suitable for military, law enforcement and hunting applications.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Dual-Illuminated

Last edited:
There are 3 RMRs types
Adjustable LED = battery
Standard LED = battery
Dual illuminated = no battery

There are 3 RMRs types
Adjustable LED = battery
Standard LED = battery
Dual illuminated = no battery

OK I"m happy, you learned something.

I guess your post up above is incorrect and I was correct that they have both as I was saying.

I wasn't just posting saying "no they don't"

I looked at their sight after the 1st post and corrected my post and said "yes know I see that they make them both ways" I didn't just keep posting saying "no they don't"

Thank You for admitting it, you know say that they make them both ways.

Done on this.

Last edited:
http://www.glockworx.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3720

These guys do sight cuts for red dot installations on Glock slides. Red dots on self-defense handguns are going to be big. Red dots overcome a major shortcoming with handgun sights. With a red dot, as was pointed out, you're looking at the target and placing the dot over it. With standard iron sights you have to look at the sights to hit the target. When somebody is trying to do grave bodily injury to you, you're going to have a tough time ignoring the knife, gun, pipe, screw driver (pick one), to look at the front sight instead. On top of that, they do much that a laser sight will do.

Reread post #38.

Jezz I guess you just won't stop.

YES I said I was wrong and I corrected myself, you haven't yet !!!

Is there something wrong also, I see that you don't want anyone knowing that you are online, your little dot next to your name is not on.

As a have said, I'm done, post what you want from here, this is getting stupid !!! I feel like I'm dealing with a two year old !!!

Back
Top Bottom