• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt guns

Worse than 45-70 or 450 bushmaster?
Recoil really depends on the weight of the platform ... I built a 300WM for hunting and put it in a polymer stock ... went lightweight all around. It is easy to carry, but it is not a fun gun to shoot ... at all. It kicks harder than my 450 Marlin and my 330 Dakota ... I can't remember the last time I shot that one.

Will you be reloading for this rifle ?
Hopefully
Recoil really depends on the weight of the platform ... I built a 300WM for hunting and put it in a polymer stock ... went lightweight all around. It is easy to carry, but it is not a fun gun to shoot ... at all. It kicks harder than my 450 Marlin and my 330 Dakota ... I can't remember the last time I shot that one.
My 450 bushmaster ar 16 inch kicked harder then my 45/70 marlin 22 inch octagonal.
Fixed the bushmaster by changing the stock.

The chassis will be metal. I generally lean towards thicker barrels on all my builds.
I also plan to use the same stock as my 450 bushmaster, because the chassis is AR stock oriented

Hopefully

My 450 bushmaster ar 16 inch kicked harder then my 45/70 marlin 22 inch octagonal.
Fixed the bushmaster by changing the stock.

The chassis will be metal. I generally lean towards thicker barrels on all my builds.
I also plan to use the same stock as my 450 bushmaster, because the chassis is AR stock oriented
No, 300WM doesn't "kick" that hard.

I highly recommend reloading though. You won't save any money, because you will shoot more, but you will get better accuracy results. Load up some 110gr V-Max for critter control, then some 208gr for whacking steel plates at some distance. Don't forget to try everything in between.

I’d personally stick with R700 clones or Tikkas. The R700 has by far the best aftermarket support. What’s your budget for a bare rifle?

There are some pretty nice clone actions for under a G and most will accept prefits which makes it simple to plug and play.

Anything in the 6-7mm range is going to be far superior If you still want a big boy for hunting , 300prc . ADG , Alpha, and Peterson offer good brass in those cartridges that should last a long time with proper prep. You can press the easy button for some 6mm calibers ( br,bra,dasher,gt) with load development , have low recoil and long barrel life ( 2k ) .

choose between AICS or AW magazines ( aw being shorter in height ) or CIP for long action . You can single feed if you'd like as well.

Metal chassis will mirror the ambient temps so if you want to hunt or shoot PRS matches in 10f temps , be prepared. plastic , carbon, wood and fiber/ resin( foundation stocks which I think may be phenolic ) not so much.

You can choose between 60 - 90 degree throw on these actions and you'll get varying opinions on them all. From heavy bolt lift on 60 degree to scope clearance issues with a 90 degree. will you be cycling the action hundreds of times such as in a PRS game or a dozen times per year for a hunting rifle ? These things may matter.

Dont be afraid to buy a used action either, there are some low mileage deals out there .

Random PSA for if you’re considering a used Coup de Grace made prior to 8/31/2023. There are new extractors going out now because of a possible issue of it getting ejected if you run the bolt fast.

Worse than 45-70 or 450 bushmaster?

300 win mag has more recoil than a 45-70 and more than a 450 bushmaster. I've not shot those cartridges, so I Googled the recoil energy of each. They're each well below the 300-win mag with an average load. I have shot the 300 win mag, and it's NOT a fun cartridge to shoot. Maybe in a 20-pound target/tactical rifle with a good brake, it may be tolerable.... I've shot it from a hunting rifle and it will shake the teeth our of your head. Make sure you hold onto it, because you're going for a ride...

In the beginning, plinking. Maybe eventually long range.

For plinking it's hard to beat a .223. There's plenty of ammo types available and it's far cheaper than most other options. If you're not reloading, plinking with a rifle that costs $2-$3 per shot can get pretty expensive!

IMG_5729.jpg

My plinker setup is a Ruger Predator in .223. I've run about 1400 rounds of reloads through it in the past year, and I've been amazed at how accurate it can be at its pricepoint. With 68 and 77 grain reloads it's MOA all day, even when running warm. It's plenty for reaching out to 500 yards, and can teach a lot about ballistics and wind holds. I mounted the action into a Magpul Hunter stock and added an extended bolt handle and trigger spring kit.

IMG_5727.jpg

I had the Predator with me today, but by the time I moved over to the long range a bank of fog was rolling in. It's tough to shoot at 500 yards when you can't see past 200!

If you go with a cheaper option like this one you'll probably end up adding a rail, changing the stock, and maybe modifying the bolt handle. All that adds up! One of the other rifles I usually bring to the long range is a 6.5 Bergara HMR. At under $1k, these come with a great stock you won't want to replace, a 20 MOA rail, and extended bolt handle. The bolt is just as smooth as my Tikka T3X, and has the lightest lift of any of my bolt guns. Plus it shoots amazingly well.

For plinking it's hard to beat a .223. There's plenty of ammo types available and it's far cheaper than most other options. If you're not reloading, plinking with a rifle that costs $2-$3 per shot can get pretty expensive!

View attachment 832115

My plinker setup is a Ruger Predator in .223. I've run about 1400 rounds of reloads through it in the past year, and I've been amazed at how accurate it can be at its pricepoint. With 68 and 77 grain reloads it's MOA all day, even when running warm. It's plenty for reaching out to 500 yards, and can teach a lot about ballistics and wind holds. I mounted the action into a Magpul Hunter stock and added an extended bolt handle and trigger spring kit.

View attachment 832116

I had the Predator with me today, but by the time I moved over to the long range a bank of fog was rolling in. It's tough to shoot at 500 yards when you can't see past 200!

If you go with a cheaper option like this one you'll probably end up adding a rail, changing the stock, and maybe modifying the bolt handle. All that adds up! One of the other rifles I usually bring to the long range is a 6.5 Bergara HMR. At under $1k, these come with a great stock you won't want to replace, a 20 MOA rail, and extended bolt handle. The bolt is just as smooth as my Tikka T3X, and has the lightest lift of any of my bolt guns. Plus it shoots amazingly well.
Thanks for the info.
I have a 20 inch ar in .223 .
As well as a 6.5 grendel with either a 20 or 22 and a 18 .308 ar10.

Kinda looking to explore a other caliber
Without going to the barrel burner of 6.5 Creedmoor (manbun)

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn’t call a 6.5 Creed a barrel burner by any means and it’s a the easy button. Great ballistics and very minimal recoil. Great factory ammo options if you don’t reload, tons of components if you do. Not much you can’t do with a 6.5 creed east of the Mississippi.

As much as most make fun of them they just work.

I wouldn’t call a 6.5 Creed a barrel burner by any means and it’s a the easy button. Great ballistics and very minimal recoil. Great factory ammo options if you don’t reload, tons of components if you do. Not much you can’t do with a 6.5 creed east of the Mississippi.

I will second the praises of the 6.5. My wife's savage bolt action in that caliber is deadly. Flat shooting and accurate. She can hit the red at 300 yards. I bet she could drop a deer at 400 no problem. Incredible round and fun.

Thanks for the info.

I've smoked quite a few 300WM barrels.

6.5 creedmor will last longer than 300WM. 308 will last way longer then both, and you get to keep your man card with 308.

My daughter's 6.5 creedmor with a M24 profile barrel and badger brake has very little recoil. Sweet little blaster. You're correct, not much they can't do.

Why? If all your looking for is a hunting rifle, pick up a Savage 110 or their straight pull and be done with it. Heck, a used mack bros, origin, Falkor,Faxon action with a pre fit barrel , TT trigger in a cheap stock would be a better choice and not that much more.

I'm a beretta whore.
It comes in 300 wm.
It's straight pull.

Savages straight pull is around the $1500 mark.
I'm kinda limited on actions because of the chassis I want to use( remington s/a ,savage s/a, ruger l/a, ruger American s/a)

There seems to be only rem 700 aftermarket long actions available.
So outside of the rem 700, I'd be buying a rifle,ripping off the stock,installing it to the chassis,changing the trigger to a Triggertech if it's even available.

I'd be over the cost of the beretta or the impulse.

Back
Top Bottom