• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt guns

DarkJoker33

NES Member
Somewhere in the near future I would like to get/build one.

But I dunno if I'm looking in all the wrong places.
It seems that the only aftermarket/custom actions and bolt I can find are remington 700 short or long action.

Are there other custom actions out there that are not remington footprint?

Do I have a need or use for a bolt action?
No. It's purely a eventual want.

I want to use a Sharps bros chasis.
Bolt Action - Heatseeker Chassis - SHARPS BROS

So rem short action,ruger short and long and precision,

I want to do a 300 win mag/wsm.

I know next to nothing about bolt guns.
But I don't see after market ruger actions anywhere. Or even factory actions and bolts by themselves.

Everything I see is remington 700 and is in excess of $1000 for the action and bolt alone

There are a bunch of custom actions you can buy to build on, but none are cheap. Competitive shooters do it all the time, as well as hunters with money to burn. But for a "plinking" gun, it makes no sense to build a rifle at all; just go buy a used rifle in whatever caliber you want.

I have found really good deals on "take-off" barrels when I have built my own bolt guns. The availability of these unused barrels makes me believe that most people don't start with an action because it is usually cheaper to by a complete rifle from Remington or whoever. If they don't make one in your preferred caliber, just make sure that you get one with an action that is the correct length for your round.

One of my long range rifles is a 243 Win-AI that I built on a Mauser action that came off of a mil-surp rifle with a trashed bore and ratty stock. The action is solid. That one got a rem700 243 takeoff and I cut new threads and then just Ackley'd the chamber with a reamer. It does pretty well ... about .7MOA or so :) Considering that the barreled action + stock cost me under $125 including the reamer rental, I was happy. The work is like therapy, so I don't count the hours I spent on it ... which were extensive since the stock started out as a block of walnut :)

This is a rabbit hole that your wallet will not like

Custom actions with a Remington 700 footprint are the most common and that’s because they have the most options for triggers and chassis/stocks.

If you really want to jump in and start building I’d suggest the Zermatt Origin, or the American Rifle Company Coup de Grace. Both are under $1000.

Mack Bros is another option but I’ve never seen one in person

I use a tikka t3x. It shoots better than I ever will. The bolt is stupid smooth. The trigger breaks like glass and is adjustable. I can't imagine a better trigger. It's very accurate. People complain about the stock feeling cheap. I love it because it is light. I hike miles and miles with it so I need light. But there are some great aftermarket stocks for it. Not sure what else I could ask for from a rifle.

You will be hard pressed to build a better gun. Check out the million vids on it.

Now, if you are getting into competition shooting at long ranges.... that's beyond anything I know. Many knowledgeable folks here can help you though. Fwiw, I plan to shoot out to 600 meters this year with my tikka.

This is a rabbit hole that your wallet will not like

Custom actions with a Remington 700 footprint are the most common and that’s because they have the most options for triggers and chassis/stocks.

If you really want to jump in and start building I’d suggest the Zermatt Origin, or the American Rifle Company Coup de Grace. Both are under $1000.

Mack Bros is another option but I’ve never seen one in person
The coup de grace is what I have my eyeball on.
It's great that I can get it in a short action so I can use it in the chassis that i want.
I use a tikka t3x. It shoots better than I ever will. The bolt is stupid smooth. The trigger breaks like glass and is adjustable. I can't imagine a better trigger. It's very accurate. People complain about the stock feeling cheap. I love it because it is light. I hike miles and miles with it so I need light. But there are some great aftermarket stocks for it. Not sure what else I could ask for from a rifle.

You will be hard pressed to build a better gun. Check out the million vids on it.

Now, if you are getting into competition shooting at long ranges.... that's beyond anything I know. Many knowledgeable folks here can help you though. Fwiw, I plan to shoot out to 600 meters this year with my tikka.
I have heard that about tikkas via info I have come across while searching.

Texas plinking had a video, a while ago, about a budget bolt gun build. IIRC it was under $1500 (don't think it included the optic). Barreled action from Brownells (forget which at the moment). Worth looking for the vid.

The k31 caught my attention a while ago.
But isn't the ammo a bitch to get?
Love mine. But I paid $250 for it in 2015 and now they’re like $600+
Most accurate rifle I own. I managed 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it.
Ammo was around a couple months ago when I looked for shits and giggles (I reload 7.5x55) but just checked ammoseek and holy shit it’s all gone

Someday I’ll own an accurate bolt action rifle that’s not almost 100 years old 🤣
Got a 1903A3 also.
My range is 120 yards so it’s hard to justify spending a boatload of money on a nice rifle to shoot short distances. Though plenty of members at my club do it. Got all kinds of 6mm arc, CM, PRC, 6.5 CM rifles

There is a ton of options for a Remington, buy one used and go from there. You could always send out the action to get it trued, have a nice barrel fitted. If you want a 300 win mag, you should be able to find a used one. Even though it is a fantastic cartridge, handed down by Jesus Himself, it isn't that popular anymore.

Don't overlook Savage. Not as many aftermarket options, but they usually shoot really good out of the box. Tikka is supposed to be the nuts out of the box as well. I haven't shot their centerfire yet though, maybe someday. I do love their rimfire gun, more than my CZs.

Honestly, get a savage for short $ and see if you like long range shooting. The savage will shoot far better than you will (at first) and then you can step up once you figure out what elements of the platform matter most to you.

I have a 700P, I'm the second owner and it's 16 years old. It STILL shoots better than I do. I might consider a Gucci platform at some point when my I'm good enough to justify it but honestly, there just aren't that many places to really stretch your legs in the North East and test the capability and my 700 rarely makes it to the range.

Tikka is supposed to be the nuts out of the box as well. I haven't shot their centerfire yet though, maybe someday. I do love their rimfire gun, more than my CZs.
Say when and you can try my CTR in 223

@DarkJoker33 - Brownells had barreled Howa actions on sale recently. They use the 700 footprint. (Some are still on sale, though not the 300WSM)

Say when and you can try my CTR in 223

@DarkJoker33 - Brownells had barreled Howa actions on sale recently. They use the 700 footprint. (Some are still on sale, though not the 300WSM)

Is there like an information database that what actions are what patterns?

In the last month I picked up two bolt actions here. A Marlin XL7 in .30-06 and a Ruger American Predator in .308. Both came with solid scopes. I paid $950 for both rifles and got some clean brass for reloading as well. Both of these rifles are considered excellent for the price and both are more than adequate for shooting at the range. There are great deals to be found if you are patient.

There are a bunch of custom actions you can buy to build on, but none are cheap. Competitive shooters do it all the time, as well as hunters with money to burn. But for a "plinking" gun, it makes no sense to build a rifle at all; just go buy a used rifle in whatever caliber you want.
Listen to Pat, he is one of the most knowledgable here on the subject

I know my limitations, which is why I'm happy with my Savage,

I want to use a Sharps bros chasis.
Bolt Action - Heatseeker Chassis - SHARPS BROS

So rem short action,ruger short and long and precision,

I want to do a 300 win mag/wsm.

I know next to nothing about bolt guns.
But I don't see after market ruger actions anywhere. Or even factory actions and bolts by themselves.

Everything I see is remington 700 and is in excess of $1000 for the action and bolt alone
You want to do 300 win mag for plinking.... Do you enjoy being broke and having a sore shoulder? That round is for hunting big game.... If you want to plink out to distance, the 6.5 Creedmore is probably your best bet... Maybe a .270. If you have a bit of money - the 6.5 PRC. Recoil on a 300 Win Mag is punishing.

Last edited:
I’m looking at these Uintah for my milspec lowers but boy are they pricey. Very good looking heavy barrel uppers though.

Nothing wrong with a Savage. Farthest I shot mine was 600 yards, and it performed very well. The only downside is lack of after market upgrades compared to the Remington footprint/action.

You want to do 300 win mag for plinking.... Do you enjoy being broke and having a sore shoulder? That round is for hunting big game.... If you want to plink out to distance, the 6.5 Creedmore is probably your best bet... Maybe a .270. If you have a bit of money - the 6.5 PRC. Recoil on a 300 Win Mag is punishing.
Worse than 45-70 or 450 bushmaster?

Back
Top Bottom