Brown to Vote Against Reciprocity Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strange, I got a call last night for donations to Scott. I told them how disappointed I was with the Menino letter and the Senator really should rethink his position. They must be getting nervous about losing votes.

Brown's people are calling people on the list for money. Warren is extremely well funded. All of the people who are commending Brown right now are not on Brown's list of supporters, will not be donating to Brown but to Warren instead, and will of course be voting for Warren anyways.

Meanwhile, Brown's people are contacting us for money. Like you who have indicated here, not another penny from me. We were betrayed.

How the next election turns out is anybody's guess. Brown is the incumbent which usually helps. But one reason he won last time was because Marsha ran such a bad campaign. This time he is running against a strong candidate and the libs surely learned from their mistakes last election.

I agree that Mass. would try harder to clamp down on our gun rights if HR 822 passes. It's just not in me to forgo an opportunity to speak truth to power.

unfortunately we don't really have much choice, unless your in favor

of Warren replacing him. so i guess i will vote for Scott..

I'm not saying you're 100% wrong, but:

If we keep supporting politicians who screw us, they have no incentive not to keep doing it.

Long game vs. short game decision time.

Brown's people are calling people on the list for money. Warren is extremely well funded. All of the people who are commending Brown right now are not on Brown's list of supporters, will not be donating to Brown but to Warren instead, and will of course be voting for Warren anyways.

Meanwhile, Brown's people are contacting us for money. Like you who have indicated here, not another penny from me. We were betrayed.

Brown is a tool. He threw his donors under the bus to appeal to the extreme left when his opponent has more and stronger extreme left credentials than he ever will.

Last edited:
As some one one mentioned before there is alot of places that it is easier to get a permit then others and some do allow ex felons to have firearms. They are not federally PP either because the states restored there firearms rights properly under federally law. The state will just find other ways to block it.

Brown is a tool. He threw his donors under the bus to appeal to the extreme left when his opponent has more and stronger extreme left credentials than he ever will.

Yup, but if getting re-elected was the only reason for his decision on this bill, he made the right decision given the public sentiment and media bias in this area. Wishing things were otherwise does not alter that reality.

i agree with you on this, my understanding is simply you can carry in other states, but must comply with their laws. its very similar to your drivers license, you can drive in other states but must abide by
their traffic laws. so whats the issue.. its not written to have the fed decide what each state has for laws.

the letter Brown wrote to Menino concerns me no matter what the content.

True and false. You would have to abide by laws like restaurant bans, binding signage, etc. - but persons from outside MA would not have to abide by the law "You must meet the discretionary filter of your local police chief" - a very real difference in who can carry in MA - and one of the things that the established power base finds offensive.

Last edited:
Yup, but if getting re-elected was the only reason for his decision on this bill, he made the right decision given the public sentiment and media bias in this area. Wishing things were otherwise does not alter that reality.
Electing people who continually vote in opposition to our beliefs despite their party affiliation will not alter our reality either.

If he's basically voted the same as Liz would have anyway, we need to start thinking the long game and telling Republican candidates that they actually need to be Republicans.

... and will of course be voting for Warren anyways.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wouldn't you rather have someone that agrees with you some of the time over someone who NEVER agrees with you? Especially if Obama wins in 2012. Highly likely that there will be some SCOTUS openings, and can't imagine what ctype of candidates Warren would favor.

Remember, it's all about the judges. We may lose on this issue, but I believe it would be much better to have Brown in there than Warren. A left skewed SCOTUS can completely stop any further progress on the 2a front forevermore.

It's not his decision on the bill that bothers me, it's his justification and associated actions (i.e. the letter).
I'm not so certain that's correct. I don't think Brown's decision will have gained him any traction with most of the people who care strongly about this bill on the left because Elizabeth Warren was always going to be their candidate, and it's a slap in the face to his donating base, at a time when he needs all the money he can get.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wouldn't you rather have someone that agrees with you some of the time over someone who NEVER agrees with you? Especially if Obama wins in 2012. Highly likely that there will be some SCOTUS openings, and can't imagine what ctype of candidates Warren would favor.

Remember, it's all about the judges. We may lose on this issue, but I believe it would be much better to have Brown in there than Warren. A left skewed SCOTUS can completely stop any further progress on the 2a front forevermore.

You missed the first part of that sentence.

With due respect to those of an opinion that if this passes, MA would make ccw illegal or a lot more difficult than it is now . . . I differ and will explain why.

- After the two USSC cases, MA is in a much more precarious place wrt gun laws. Our opponents aren't dumb and know that if they poke the bear too hard with a stick, they might get swatted with the claws.
- The last thing that the MA AG/legislature wants is a DIRECT USSC case against MA gun laws, as I suspect that even they know that some of them are really indefensible in a courtroom where the Fed judges may not have the same "agenda" as our MA court system. [They can (and do) successfully "ignore" the USSC rulings that were not DIRECT rulings against MA gun laws with the excuse "but our laws are different" currently, but wouldn't be able to do that if they were taken head-on to the USSC for a further encroachment . . . and I think that they are very aware of Comm2A's activities in looking to nail MA gun laws to a cross!]
- For this reason I see a "status quo" approach by TPTB in spite of Mumbles and Devil rattling sabers at every nasty incident that occurs. Press conferences don't create law, but get the scumbag pols "on record" for "tougher on crime" (translate to tougher on law abiding subjects).

I offer as weak proof:

- A well known and respected gun dealer who brags about fighting the AG and "winning". His story as he told it to me was that the AG sent him a "cease and desist" order and he took it to court. NOBODY from the AG's office showed up and thus he won by default. Subsequently, he's been operating with huge brass balls.
- Neither he nor I believe it was "accidental" that the AG didn't try to win the case in court. They probably assessed their position as shaky and decided to let him win by default rather than risk a judge throwing out the AG Regs!
- Oftentimes we need to "pick our battles" and sometimes that means "let the other side win the battle rather than risk losing the war"! Even gov't uses this yardstick to decide what to push and what to drop (letting someone on our side win a minor battle that does NOT set any precedents).
- I think that MA "raising their head above the firing line" would be "risky business" in Fed Court . . . trying to justify "suitability" and "discretion", 351 different sets of rules, etc. might just be too high a risk to take to screw gun owners with new laws that would further restrict ccw in light of the USSC cases.

Just one person's opinion! YMMV

Just called his office. I am so disappointed. Many of you may remember that I supported this guy a great deal. I collected signatures, many of them at the sportsmens clubs I belonged to at the time. I held signs in the cold and donated money twice to his campaign. I left a message with all these details and also let him know that he can count on me to NOT do these things for him if he continues along this path. It pains me because I know a Liberal will take the seat without a concerted grass roots effort again and votes from this community.

Electing people who continually vote in opposition to our beliefs despite their party affiliation will not alter our reality either.

If he's basically voted the same as Liz would have anyway, we need to start thinking the long game and telling Republican candidates that they actually need to be Republicans.

There's a lot of truth to this. I'm looking at the dude's voting record and I don't see where he did Jack Sh** on any of the major bills to help conservative causes.

OTOH, I'll vote for him just to keep the carpetbagger out. The Dems are pulling so much money into this race from national sources I just don't want to give them the victory. In reality though, he's Romney Lite.

There's a lot of truth to this. I'm looking at the dude's voting record and I don't see where he did Jack Sh** on any of the major bills to help conservative causes.

OTOH, I'll vote for him just to keep the carpetbagger out. The Dems are pulling so much money into this race from national sources I just don't want to give them the victory. In reality though, he's Romney Lite.
Sadly, he's more like Warren-lite...

He's voted the same as she would, but won't start any liberal !#$. He'll just support it once someone else starts it.

Such a win for us... [thinking]

When I was in Washington, I damn near peed myself when I heard the news report that he took Ted's seat. I had hopes that maybe when I did return to MA, that Deval might lose his reelection and it might be a bit better for gun owners.
A year and a half later, the sad reality and true nature of what state I decided to move to finally sets in.

I wrote him as well...hopefully I'll get a response before 822 goes up for a vote.

I will not send Brown any money but will vote for him. We need to remember where we live. No true conservative will ever be elected to a Senate seat in the near future. Our recent State elections proved the sheeple are brainwashed by the State govt. and Unions. The only time they mildly revolt is when their property taxes get raised. We need to keep the pressure on Brown. The recent posts about Brown`s people calling posters and getting an earful is a good thing.
We must be realistic, we are a small minority in this State and sometimes we are our own enemies.

I am not "my own enemy" just because I refuse to support a guy who will use the power of government against me. I voted for Brown once, primarily to stick it to Obama and his healthcare legislation. It was worth it. But Brown has turned out even worse than I expected. And I'm not voting for him again.

Culpability matters. I'm not responsible for the world created by others. I am responsible for what I do. That's it. If the choices for office are "bad" and "worse", then I am not culpable for the actions of "worse" if "bad" loses. This thinking gets tossed around here as if it is somehow understood that we are all in this together, sharing responsibility and experiences. We are not. And that kind of collectivist thinking is part of the problem.

To be clear, I didn't create this mess, I don't support it, and if everyone were like me (as unremarkable as I may be) we wouldn't be in this mess. But however flawed I am as a fairly typical human, I judge the majority to be worse. They want to steal, they want to feel safe, and they want to coerce. So politicians feed that beast, and the voters legitimize it all. None of that is on me.

I am not "my own enemy" just because I refuse to support a guy who will use the power of government against me. I voted for Brown once, primarily to stick it to Obama and his healthcare legislation. It was worth it. But Brown has turned out even worse than I expected. And I'm not voting for him again.

Culpability matters. I'm not responsible for the world created by others. I am responsible for what I do. That's it. If the choices for office are "bad" and "worse", then I am not culpable for the actions of "worse" if "bad" loses. This thinking gets tossed around here as if it is somehow understood that we are all in this together, sharing responsibility and experiences. We are not. And that kind of collectivist thinking is part of the problem.

To be clear, I didn't create this mess, I don't support it, and if everyone were like me (as unremarkable as I may be) we wouldn't be in this mess. But however flawed I am as a fairly typical human, I judge the majority to be worse. They want to steal, they want to feel safe, and they want to coerce. So politicians feed that beast, and the voters legitimize it all. None of that is on me.
So your voting for Lizzie?

Just got a call from the Brown for Senate campaign people, as I'd donated when he ran the last time.

I told them I would most likely vote for him again, but made sure I called attention to this particular bill & suggested they reconsider.

I hate voting for anyone just because he or she is the "lesser of two evils" but it seems that's probably going to be our only option, if there's no "true" conservative candidate.

VT does not recognize MA LTCs. VT does not require a license to own, purchase, or carry guns. Period.

Which is WHY that state is so bloody violent! Duh! Vermont has like the 2nd highest murder rate in the country!

Um, never mind. I was reading the chart upside down. 2nd lowest murder rate. That can't be right, though. They don't even have permits to carry guns!

I hate voting for anyone just because he or she is the "lesser of two evils" but it seems that's probably going to be our only option, if there's no "true" conservative candidate.

I'd even take a true moderate because at least he would vote with you sometimes. I have no idea how having Scott Brown as a senator has been a positive for conservatives.

With that said, I don't think Brown is a liberal, moderate, or conservative. He's a careerist. He'd do or say anything right now to win another term. I don't get the sense that he has any guiding values outside of saving his own skin.

Well I just sent a e-mail off to him stating that I'm not happy with his lack of help for us "gun owners". I don't think I will ever hear from him.

Here's the "I got your message answer"

Thank you for sharing your opinions and concerns with me! My office will make every effort to respond to you in a timely manner; however, due to the large volume of mail that we receive, it may take several weeks before you receive a response.

I hope that you will continue to visit my website for updates on legislation, key issues, and other information important to the residents of the Commonwealth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom