• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston globe Mill article

Doesn’t that statement make the other 73 FFLs look bad for not having regular hours? Almost like they are doing something below boards. Most are by appointment only out of that group. Doesn’t mean they are not as dedicated.
Meh. Some FFL as a full on business, some FFL purely as a hobby. Many are somewhere in between those two scenarios. All are fully within their constitutional rights, and the gay unconstitutional laws. They’re all equally allowed to engage in legal commerce. Equality is cool.

Meh. Some FFL as a full on business, some FFL purely as a hobby. Many are somewhere in between those two scenarios. All are fully within their constitutional rights, and the gay unconstitutional laws. They’re all equally allowed to engage in legal commerce. Equality is cool.
No, ALL FFLs are in business to make money. No FFLs got their licence just to enhance their personal collection or as a hobby. When I was going through the application process this is very clear. FFLs are in it to make a profit as a business venture.

Doesn’t that statement make the other 73 FFLs look bad for not having regular hours? Almost like they are doing something below boards. Most are by appointment only out of that group. Doesn’t mean they are not as dedicated.

Well.... except for the fact that FFLs are legally required to do shitloads of gun-related things that don't necessarily involve "selling guns at open retail to the public. " If you're "making money with guns" you typically have to be an FFL, and in mass in most cases you still need state licenses too. Gunsmith? FFL. Gun journalism? FFL. Gun youtuber? FFL. Accessory/holster manufacturer? (In some cases, FFL.) Cleaning peoples guns? FFL. Even if you wanted to just sell accessories most distributors require an 01 or 07 on file before they'll even talk to you. Firearm industry consultant? FFL.

No, ALL FFLs are in business to sell guns and make money. No Mill FFLs got their licence just to enhance their personal collection or as a hobby. When I was going through the application process this is very clear. FFLs are in it to make a profit.
There is one exception - you can get an FFL for the purpose of research, photography, or gun writing without any intent to sell or maintain regular business hours .... even if you do so on a volunteer basis. This was declared acceptable in an ATF ruling when they started requiring such persons to have an FFL to obtain gun directly from manufacturers if they had relationship other than W2 employee.

I would expect the ATF would require proof, not just an assertion the applicant was going to post articles on NES.

The pre-ruling exemption would, for example, allow a gun manufacturer to ship a rep guns for exhibition at a show, match, display as sales samples, etc. without a W2 relationship or an FFL. Now one of the two is required.

Last edited:
I'm saying that tongue in cheek as it's a disqualifier during the app/ATF interview if you say it's for your hobby/personal collection
That's not even completely true. I know at least one hardcore gun collector from this forum who was more or less "politely encouraged" by the ATF to get an FFL. He did run a retail business which is still operational today under a different licensee. He was moving enough guns and cash legally the ATF deemed it profit bearing activity.

That's not even completely true. I know at least one hardcore gun collector from this forum who was more or less "politely encouraged" by the ATF to get an FFL. He did run a retail business which is still operational today under a different licensee. He was moving enough guns and cash legally the ATF deemed it profit bearing activity.
Whoops, I'm wrong

Whoops, I'm wrong
Not entirely, just suggesting theres nuances involved here. It goes both ways, if you're on the smaller end volume wise they might say "no profit motive" but honestly it doesn't take much to trigger profit motive.

No, ALL FFLs are in business to make money. No FFLs got their licence just to enhance their personal collection or as a hobby. When I was going through the application process this is very clear. FFLs are in it to make a profit as a business venture.

Well.... except for the fact that FFLs are legally required to do shitloads of gun-related things that don't necessarily involve "selling guns at open retail to the public. " If you're "making money with guns" you typically have to be an FFL, and in mass in most cases you still need state licenses too. Gunsmith? FFL. Gun journalism? FFL. Gun youtuber? FFL. Accessory/holster manufacturer? (In some cases, FFL.) Cleaning peoples guns? FFL. Even if you wanted to just sell accessories most distributors require an 01 or 07 on file before they'll even talk to you. Firearm industry consultant? FFL.
The f***ed up thing is I’m gonna have to get another FLL sell my collection..

It should be at least as hard to vote as it is to obtain your FFL. The difference being FFL is legitimate and voting isn’t..

As much as I don’t like Donald Trump it’s pretty much the only option going forward or Disanto/Ted Cruz Or the whack job from Texas

Regardless I see a suppressor in my future

I was there when that happened but didnt wanna mention it until someone involved did. It was pretty funny watching word of the incident spread while I did paperwork. Big mistake thinking the gruff (but very nice) guys in Ma**h*** firearms would allow their soy boy cameraman and clown makeup reporter anywhere near the vicinity.
The big concern seemed to be them harassing and questioning customers as they were leaving. Scumbags!

Too much excitement out east for my bumpkin self but it was quite a thrill
She never should have gotten past Ma**h***. The proper procedure was to immediately notify @one-eyed Jack for authority to have them removed from the entire premises, not just one shop. After Ma**h***, they made it upstairs. Someone told me, I sent it up the chain of command, Jack was contacted, and it was handled accordingly. Thankfully, Littleton PD was close by.

She never should have gotten past Ma**h***. The proper procedure was to immediately notify @one-eyed Jack for authority to have them removed from the entire premises, not just one shop. After Ma**h***, they made it upstairs. Someone told me, I sent it up the chain of command, Jack was contacted, and it was handled accordingly. Thankfully, Littleton PD was close by.
It’s the same shit just a different day. People getting harassed for trying to follow the law

There is one exception - you can get an FFL for the purpose of research, photography, or gun writing without any intent to sell or maintain regular business hours .... even if you do so on a volunteer basis. This was declared acceptable in an ATF ruling when they started requiring such persons to have an FFL to obtain gun directly from manufacturers if they had relationship other than W2 employee.

I would expect the ATF would require proof, not just an assertion the applicant was going to post articles on NES.

The pre-ruling exemption would, for example, allow a gun manufacturer to ship a rep guns for exhibition at a show, match, display as sales samples, etc. without a W2 relationship or an FFL. Now one of the two is required.
If you advertise a gun for sale for more than you paid for it with the intent to make a profit, you need an FFL. There's no need to "prove" research, writing, or any other nonsense. Buy a gun, put it on Gunbroker for more than you paid for it, and you need an FFL. Whether you sell it or not, you've proved intent. It's not complicated.

If you advertise a gun for sale for more than you paid for it with the intent to make a profit, you need an FFL. There's no need to "prove" research, writing, or any other nonsense. Buy a gun, put it on Gunbroker for more than you paid for it, and you need an FFL. Whether you sell it or not, you've proved intent. It's not complicated.
Agreed and understood. My point was there was that there is an exception that does not require the intent to make a profit selling guns in order to hold an FFL.

An interesting point is that the majority of FFLs in the United States are "table top" FFLs, i.e. run out of one's home as a home business. However, Massachusetts is an outlier in that the state laws are so constructed that it's pretty much impossible to run anything other than an 03 (C&R) FFL out of your home. That's why the majority of FFLs at the Mill are there in the first place. In a free state, I'm pretty sure a large percentage of them would be running a home based FFL. It's Massachusetts's own anti-gun laws that force folks into joining together so they can have a reasonably priced "place of business" outside of their home. It's still costs more to run a small FFL in Mass, even at the Mill, then it does in pretty much any other state, but the Mill makes it feasible for folks living in its vicinity.

Someone should have said this at the meeting. It is like an artist colony, only in the art of firearms; and to practice this art, by law, one needs a commercial place of business; so out of economic scale, they tended to group together here.

I was there when that happened but didnt wanna mention it until someone involved did. It was pretty funny watching word of the incident spread while I did paperwork. Big mistake thinking the gruff (but very nice) guys in Ma**h*** firearms would allow their soy boy cameraman and clown makeup reporter anywhere near the vicinity.
The big concern seemed to be them harassing and questioning customers as they were leaving. Scumbags!

Too much excitement out east for my bumpkin self but it was quite a thrill
If I was there when they were there, I would be leaving with a tshirt over my head.

Like this:

c85c87e1-7f44-448e-9a66-a187aa3bfd34_w408_r1_s.jpg

My point is to make it known that claiming that there are 80 retail, stocking, over the counter GUN SHOPS or STORES in the Mill is an outright lie by the Globe. Even Joe Collins, the trustee who is no longer with us was an 07 and who did no business at all is in the count. I retired from the biz last fall but the Globe claims that I sell machine guns which is another lie. The only thing that they got right is that I'm a liberal hater. End of story. Jack.

Last edited:
My point is to make it known that claiming that there are 80 retail, stocking, over the counter GUN SHOPS or STORES in the Mill is an outright lie by the Globe. Even Joe Collins, the trustee who is no longer with us was an 07 but did no business, is in the count. End of story. Jack.
Since when do you expect journalists to tell the truth?

If I was there when they were there, I would be leaving with a tshirt over my head.

Like this:

View attachment 667928
They were long gone by the time I left. However I did plan to claim I was trans and need protection from MAGA if questioned on the way out just to stir the pot.

Comments are great - plenty of clearly written pro mill comments followed by but guns stuff
And then this one:
The fact that Healey won't comment is very telling. She knows her "edict" isn't enforceable and most certainly won't attempt to enforce it during an election year. The people of Massachusetts (and the Globe, but I won't hold my breath) should be holding her to the fire every time she has an election event or a press conference. Why make an "edict" if you can't enforce it? Is this what her term as Governor will be like? A lot of political hot air but nothing enforceable? I'm not a Republican but this isn't a good sign for our future.

Looks like they are starting to realize that they are just idiotic pawns in a power game - unfortunately they are goldfish and will forget all of this as soon as it scrolls off their feed

Back
Top Bottom