Boston.com Collecting Data on Gun License Per Capita by Town

Wow, my town issued the most licenses! Oh, but we're near the bottom per capita.

I wonder how this breaks down by license type, especially that the restricted FID is on here. There's no way to tell if that's even a relative number.

Do you realize that this story is 1 year old. If searching worked here in any decent fashion, you'd be able to find a thread about this from back then.

Exactly. I admit I'd love to see a year over year since our #1 Gun Salesperson took office.

I'm no stats Guru, but I threw this together in under 6 minutes.

I used Excel to take the top ranked 5 towns with over 2k population, and compared them to the lowest rank 5 excluding Boston. I did not have a great source of crime data for every town in MA, so I manually pulled the CityData.com crime index for these 10 places. 2 of the 5 pro-gun towns didn't even have data reported. Here is what I tossed together:

Community License per 1,000 Population Rank ▴ Crime Index

Pro Gun:
Shelburne 212.8 2,035 6 31
Huntington 198.3 2,219 10 n/d
Hardwick 185 2,649 17 120.6
Lanesborough 174.8 2,866 23 n/d
Cheshire 159.9 3,314 31 21.9

Anti Gun:
Amherst 15.5 35,565 344 144
Lawrence 14.4 70,014 345 327.2
Brookline 10.4 54,896 346 139.5
Chelsea 9.4 41,577 347 676.2
Cambridge 9.2 105,596 348 253.9

Western MA says "Hi!" [smile]

Wow, that map is prefect for letting criminals know exactly which cities/towns to victimize. Now they'll know to avoid Chesterfield which has an ownership rate of approx. 1/3 and instead go to Boston which has an ownership rate of 1/125.

I honestly don't think crime happens like that. The overwhelming majority of criminals don't study flowcharts and calculate number of licenses per capita. Most of the crime is opportunity based...if anything, I think that this might encourage more crimes of theft and B&E in towns with higher rates of gun ownership, because the crooks are more likely to find something worth stealing in that town, but even that's a long stretch of the imagination.

Curiously, many of the higher ranked communities are Democratic strongholds!....[thinking]

Sadly, evidence that not enough gun owners vote like gun owners.

I'm a 7.6%er... in a black town... maybe I can try and get the other 7.5% to show up at a town meeting and demand the chief quit B-ramming first time applicants.

Support HR 2259. (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ANT-NOTICE-for-all-gunowners-House-Bill-H2259)

I for one hope they never post number of guns per thousand residents. I think that some of you people might make the numbers look ....lopsided. Before the huge accident at the NES annual yacht race. Damn that was a tragedy.

They can't. The FA-10 system is a broken joke.

Let's now superimpose the crime stats and you'll see that the towns with the most guns per capita are the safest and the towns with the least guns per capita have the most crime. It's easy to see looking at the data.

But not reflected nationally. Guns are inanimate objects, and a good number of gun owners store them unloaded in a closet, unseen and dusty for 20 years where it's useless against criminals. Crime is cultural, and not dicatated by any number (or lack of) laws.

To paraphrase Jeff Cooper, piano's don't make musicians.

I'd like to be included in the next yaucht race.

You were at last years. Sadly, when Derek's boat sank, so did the list of participants. [frown]

I also wonder how much licensing has gone up since then, methinks a significant amount.

Me too, I'd like to see those numbers.

Back
Top Bottom