• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston.com Collecting Data on Gun License Per Capita by Town

Wow, that map is prefect for letting criminals know exactly which cities/towns to victimize. Now they'll know to avoid Chesterfield which has an ownership rate of approx. 1/3 and instead go to Boston which has an ownership rate of 1/125.

How pitiful that only 6.5% of MA residents think that their life or the lives of their family members are worth protecting.

They cite CHSB as the source of there data. If your gonna live in Mass. might as well live in Chesterfield.

Wow, that map is prefect for letting criminals know exactly which cities/towns to victimize. Now they'll know to avoid Chesterfield which has an ownership rate of approx. 1/3 and instead go to Boston which has an ownership rate of 1/125.

How pitiful that only 6.5% of MA residents think that their life or the lives of their family members are worth protecting.

I don't think this map shows anything that we didn't alread know. Granted we didn't have this level of detail but there arn't many of us on this board that couldn't have figured out the closer you get to Boston the less of a chance you have of owning a gun.

I am one of the 7.79% in my town. I thought the number would be higher as we have a great chief who is a big believer in the 2nd Amendment and LTC-A with no restrictions. Also, it seems that a lot of people I talk to have their LTC-A. I guess I must be friends with the gun owners.

149 pretty close to the middle of the road on the ranks.

Although with the surrounding communities we appear to be one of the highest per 1000 residents (Boxford).

Last edited:
I don't think this map shows anything that we didn't alread know. Granted we didn't have this level of detail but there arn't many of us on this board that couldn't have figured out the closer you get to Boston the less of a chance you have of owning a gun.

The real gold here is that we can take this data, and compare it to other data points. Like murders, and crime, and race, and....
Now, what we need is As v. Bs v. FIDs, v. restrictions... :)

I seems to me that the places with the lowest legal ownership have the highest gun related crime? How could that be? Boston? Brockton? I'm so surprised!!!

I have a bunch of population data and the data carroll just posted now. But does anyone know where I can get tabular data on crime per town? I found http://www.ucrstats.com/ but it's per town data is painful to use because you need to do a search by town.

I don't know what that interactive map does...out.
It's slow to load, but once it's active, "mousing-over" the town shapes pops up the town name, and the licences per 1000.

I wish it was computed on a per 1000 adult basis.

I'm sure there is variation, and it's silly to skew the number with family size.

If it is too much effort to get population 21y and older, it would probably be better to do licenses per 100 household.

Households really is the important number.

Do you realize that this story is 1 year old. If searching worked here in any decent fashion, you'd be able to find a thread about this from back then.

If it is too much effort to get population 21y and older, it would probably be better to do licenses per 100 household.

Households really is the important number.

I wonder if e-mailing the writer will get him motivated to provide more info to make the map statistically relevant. I think I remember seeing his email attached to the map...

Do you realize that this story is 1 year old. If searching worked here in any decent fashion, you'd be able to find a thread about this from back then.

But its on the globe's homepage today...

It was on the front page of today's globe. Must be a slow news day if they are recycling last year's crap.

Last edited:
Curiously, many of the higher ranked communities are Democratic strongholds!....[thinking]

Bill

It would be interesting to compare this chart with the Brown/Coakley Senatorial election chart.

Just at a glance, I see that Watertown, Somerville, Newton, Amherst, Brookline, Cambridge and Boston (all well established Liberal strongholds), are at the bottom, and all went heavily on the side of Coakley (not certain about Somerville).

Also... at least 4 of them (Watertown, Brookline, Newton and Boston), are strict on the issuance of licenses.

I'm a 7.6%er... in a black town... maybe I can try and get the other 7.5% to show up at a town meeting and demand the chief quit B-ramming first time applicants.

Back
Top Bottom