• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington School employee leaves gun on seat of car

It’s going to suck for him for sure but concealed shouldn’t be a problem by anyone. They already ran your tits thru the wringer many times.
His threat level was likely lower than zero.

Still can’t figure out how he forgot it.

It’s going to suck for him for sure but concealed shouldn’t be a problem by anyone. They already ran your tits thru the wringer many times.
His threat level was likely lower than zero.

Still can’t figure out how he forgot it.
I'm always shocked that people are caught going thru the airport security with a firearm

All was good until little Jimmy walked by the car at recess and started yapping.... Ugh !!!
Lexington town officials say police received a call shortly after 9:00 a.m. Wednesday morning after staff member spotted an unattended handgun inside a parked car at Estabrook Elementary School. Officials say the holstered handgun was in plain view and left on the passenger seat of the vehicle.

Is this really a felony in MA? Which “crime”?
Looks like gun on school property is not a felony.

MGL CH 269 Section 10:

Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer and notwithstanding any license obtained by the person pursuant to chapter 140, carries on the person a firearm, loaded or unloaded, or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of the elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or both. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant and detain a person found carrying a firearm in violation of this paragraph.

But the storage violation is a felony if it was a large capacity handgun. MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L

b) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a firearm, rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon, by a fine of not less than $1000 nor more than $7,500 or by imprisonment for not more than 11/2 years or by both such fine and imprisonment and, in the case of a large capacity weapon or machine gun, by a fine of not less than $2,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 11/2 years nor more than 12 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The carrying charge should be thrown out pretty easily, unless he ran his mouth to the cops.
I disagree. If it had been in a locked case, then he could argue that he wasn’t carrying it. But I think the state can argue that he wasn’t driving with the gun on the seat.

But the storage violation is a felony if it was a large capacity handgun. MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L

And whether or not it’s a large capacity handgun in MA is defined by the magazine that is currently in it? or is it whether or not the handgun is capable of being fitted with a magazine more than 10 rounds?

Terrible place and profession to make that mistake. Whoever it is, I would like to think if the school had an active shooter then they would save lives with it.

The charge should be the same discipline/fine that an LEO gets because they seem to do frequently so there must be a fair and consistent process 🙄

And whether or not it’s a large capacity handgun in MA is defined by the magazine that is currently in it? or is it whether or not the handgun is capable of being fitted with a magazine more than 10 rounds?
That’s something of a mess. It’s mostly by what it was designed around. So a Glock 19 is large but Glock 43x is non-large. However if you have a shield 15 round magazine in the 43x, the state would probably argue that it is large.

Please note that I am trying to explain the laws as I understand them, but that does not mean that I agree with them (I don’t, these laws are ridiculous).

Back
Top Bottom