• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lexington School employee leaves gun on seat of car

That’s something of a mess. It’s mostly by what it was designed around. So a Glock 19 is large but Glock 43x is non-large. However if you have a shield 15 round magazine in the 43x, the state would probably argue that it is large.

Please note that I am trying to explain the laws as I understand them, but that does not mean that I agree with them (I don’t, these laws are ridiculous).

I have no idea how anyone keeps any of this straight. And it is clear to me that it is by design to be like that.

I have no idea how anyone keeps any of this straight. And it is clear to me that it is by design to be like that.
I don’t think it necessarily was designed to be incomprehensible. The think it says more about the incompetence of the idiots who wrote it — former Senator Cheryl Jacques and her arrogant, fat slob aide Angus McQuilken.

Their main idea was that some guns (large capacity) are more evil than other guns (non-large capacity) and that there should be different permits for each (LTC Class A vs Class B) and different penalties for misbehavior with each. But the problem, of course, is that it is nearly impossible to distinguish between the two categories and they simply didn’t know as much about guns as they thought they did.

Last edited:
Looks like gun on school property is not a felony.

MGL CH 269 Section 10:

But the storage violation is a felony if it was a large capacity handgun. MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L
You didn't get to the really fun part...

(c) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is not a large capacity weapon and the weapon was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age who does not possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $2,500 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 11/2 years nor more than 12 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(d) A violation of this section shall be punished, in the case of a rifle or shotgun that is a large capacity weapon, firearm or machine gun that was stored or kept in a place where a person younger than 18 years of age may have access without committing an unforeseeable trespass, by a fine of not less than $10,000 nor more than $20,000 or by imprisonment for not less than 4 years nor more than 15 years or by both such fine and imprisonment.

So if it's a handgun, irrespective of capacity, where kids might have access then it's a mandatory four years in prison.

Lexington town officials say police received a call shortly after 9:00 a.m. Wednesday morning after staff member spotted an unattended handgun inside a parked car at Estabrook Elementary School. Officials say the holstered handgun was in plain view and left on the passenger seat of the vehicle.
I read the article, just a bit of humor. However, I feel bad for this person. To many distractions, maybe running late, etc. during the course of a day and this one will cost him or her.... unfortunately.

Back in 1995 or 1996, one of the teachers at my high school (in CT) was suspended for bringing a gun onto school property. I think he was suspended for a week.

He had locked it in the trunk during school hours, but had forgotten something in the car. Gave his car keys to a student to get whatever it was out of the car. Student saw the gun and squealed.

What I don't know is if the student told friends who told others, or if the student ran to squeal to the principal. It could have been either situation.

So when I was at the restaurant a couple weeks ago. Checking out the Hummer H2 In the parking lot. I should have said something about the shotgun and shells I could see in the back seat? Yes I really did see this. I laughed and told my wife. Then went in for lunch. I did scan the place for who I thought it would be and I was right. They left just before us.

I disagree. If it had been in a locked case, then he could argue that he wasn’t carrying it. But I think the state can argue that he wasn’t driving with the gun on the seat.
The state would argue that as it was accessible and therefore in his immediate control, he was de facto carrying it.

Isn't it min 10k and/or 4 years in prison? I could be reading it wrong too.. lots of not, nor and or in there- makes it confusing for sure- but that's neither here nor there still a victim less crime. If he is a 'migrant he'll be released and given pre filled out Democratic ballots a debit card and bus pass.

That’s what I get for trying to read the law. Thanks for the correction. Mandatory four years for a non-violent offense. :mad:
Zero chance he gets 4 years. We have a mandatory min 1 year for unlawful possession here too. Ask any cop how often it gets tossed.

Zero chance he gets 4 years. We have a mandatory min 1 year for unlawful possession here too. Ask any cop how often it gets tossed.
First of all it's 18 mos. Second people get it all the time in MA. But I agree this guy won't get time bc he's going to kept at the lowest level of improper storage. In fact I think he was summonsed until court for s clerk's hearing and not arrested.

First of all it's 18 mos. Second people get it all the time in MA. But I agree this guy won't get time bc he's going to kept at the lowest level of improper storage. In fact I think he was summonsed until court for s clerk's hearing and not arrested.
And the odds of him having his ltc cancelled for “being unsuitable”?

In 2020 Lexington voted 82% for Joe Biden.

2024 Lexington was one of the Towns that actively recruited Leftists to pull a Republican Ballot and vote for Haley. Haley won Lexington over Trump 2/1.

It happens. Cops do it sometimes too.

I was at a NEMLAC public event in front of the Lexington police station a few years ago, and one of the cops left his gun and duty rig on the passenger seat while he was wandering around. Should I have taken it and confiscated his LTC?

The school employee screwed up, no question, but I wouldn't take away the gun and LTC. Just give him a warning, for God's sake. When violent felons are being treated with kid gloves, how can the gov't justify taking away a person's basic right so easily due to a dumb mistake with no malicious intent? What happened to mens rea? How can it be considered a crime when there was no intent? I understand negligence, but what harm was done?

I live in Lexington, and the comment about the Karens and Kens is spot on. There are so many woke azzholes here. The POS are super hypocritical, racist left wingers, and the second my youngest graduates from high school I want to divorce my wife (also evil Karen, I have discovered over the years) and get the hell out.

I was at a NEMLAC public event in front of the Lexington police station a few years ago, and one of the cops left his gun and duty rig on the passenger seat while he was wandering around. Should I have taken it and confiscated his LTC?

The school employee screwed up, no question, but I wouldn't take away the gun and LTC. Just give him a warning, for God's sake. When violent felons are being treated with kid gloves, how can the gov't justify taking away a person's basic right so easily due to a dumb mistake with no malicious intent? What happened to mens rea? How can it be considered a crime when there was no intent? I understand negligence, but what harm was done?

I don’t think the school employee should face any repercussions at all, if you’re asking me. I don’t think it’s a big deal.

I don’t think the school employee should face any repercussions at all, if you’re asking me. I don’t think it’s a big deal.

He should keep it locked up while not carrying it, but the cops should just remind him, warn him, etc. It's a gun owners responsibility to keep their guns safe from kids and thieves. But take away his ability to defend himself, assuming it's even a male, is BS!

Back
Top Bottom