bigger caliber carry gun options

Carry what you can comfortably control in a platform you can shoot well with under stress. A solid hit from a .380 is much better than a miss from a .45ACP.

.357 Sig might be the best all around personal defense cartridge because it duplicates the 125 JHP .357 Magnum load which comes out on top when it comes to street use according to Ayoob.

Apparently the Tx Dept of Public Safety has two options for carry: Sig P220 in .45 and SIG P229 in .357 Sig. I understand that many of the .45 stalwarts have gone over to the .357 Sig because it has performed better for them on the street.

.357 Sig appears to be losing ground, not gaining, but it just might be the most optimal round out there realizing that all handgun calibers are iffy at best. Like Clint Smith says: "A handgun is what you use to fight your way to your rifle."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It loses ground because of the price for even plinking ammo. Easy fix, just get a .40 barrel for your weapon of choice and practice with cheap FMJ, and carry JHP in .357. My next gun will be a .357 SIG for sure.

I've never heard that the 1911 has a bad rep. I mean, thousands of dead Germans, Japanese, Italians, vietcong and others would agree with me. The A1 is a mighty fine weapon of war. Just outdated, heavy and with limited capacity, but still capable of doing a deadly job.

No need to preach here. Three generations of my family fought with it. From WWI through Vietnam, on both mother and father's side.

As far as I'm concerned, the 1911 might as well have been passed from God's mouth to John Moses Browning's ear.

The design doesn't have a bad reputation, it's a living legend, but if you think that modern, mass-produced 1911 firearms don't have a negative perception permeating the ether of the pistol world, your eyes are closed or you are willfully ignorant. And for the most part, it's deserved, for a lot of reasons. And this is coming from a huge 1911 ass-kisser, but also a realist.

I have a lot of respect for the 1911. I have probably fired well over 200,000 rounds through various models and calibers. I also believe that the 45 ACP is the ideal defensive (or offensive) round. I am not, however, a fan of the small (3 in barrels or so) versions of the 1911. When you get this small a revolver is in order, just my $.02.

Micro 1911s don't hold up well to extended use. The recoil systems suffer from extended use and are expensive to replace ($30 for the small Para LDA). Mag capacity is not much better than six shots and the micro 1911 is not a true "pocket gun". A true "pocket gun" is one that can fire more than one round from a pocket, i.e., a revolver.

My ideal large caliber micro carry gun is a five shot 45 ACP revolver with a 2 in barrel. It would be built from SS for a finished weight of about 25 oz as a compromise between comfortable carry and durability/recoil control. The gun could also be offered in titanium for masochists. Full moon clips could give this gun the ability to be reloaded just about as fast as the micro m1911. I'm not much of a revolver shooter, but when the gun gets really small, I prefer the revolver to the semi auto.

I can't believe that S&W hasn't caught on; there is a market out there for a big bore snubby. Charter Arms has been selling sub standard 44 snubbies for years. A quality snubbie in a popular caliber like 45 ACP should be a big seller. Are you listening, S&W? Dump the "Governor" and make some thing worthwhile. Now that I think about it, we should dump the Governor too. Let Urkel go out and get a real job!

No need to preach here. Three generations of my family fought with it. From WWI through Vietnam, on both mother and father's side.

As far as I'm concerned, the 1911 might as well have been passed from God's mouth to John Moses Browning's ear.

The design doesn't have a bad reputation, it's a living legend, but if you think that modern, mass-produced 1911 firearms don't have a negative perception permeating the ether of the pistol world, your eyes are closed or you are willfully ignorant. And for the most part, it's deserved, for a lot of reasons. And this is coming from a huge 1911 ass-kisser, but also a realist.

I don't understand your last paragraph. Mass produced 1911s have proliferated and are hot sellers. If you are suggesting or implying that people who purchase, shoot and use these pistols are somehow novices or not part of the 1911 cognoscenti then I would respectfully think you have a different perception. Not everyone can afford a $2K and up custom 1911 made by a name or no-name custom maker. Colt, Remington, S&W, Ruger all make decent mass produced 1911s IMO. There may be other brands as well.
More makers are producing 1911s than ever before and people are buying them up.

Another advantage is the plethora of quality after-market parts and accessories that can allow for true individualization of the pistol. Some are gimmicks, some not.

Yes, there are newer designs, but I'm not getting this anti-1911 vibe you are alluding to, except maybe on a few gun-snob Internet forums where you have to have a $5K custom made 1911 to be a member of The Big Boy Club or where Glocks and only Glocks are the acceptable form of handgun. Such places do exist.

Last edited:
I'd stay away from the 1911 platform if you plan on using it as a carry gun.

I respectfully disagree with this statement but am curious why you have this opinion. The 1911's I own are the most accurate semi's in my safe and just as reliable as all of my other semi's. I think that minor improvements to the design like flared ejection posts and improved extractors have greatly improved the reliability.

For me, the only drawback is the sheer size and weight of a full size 1911, but I recently started carrying in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags under my right arm. This works great for me. Yesterday I mowed the lawn and did all of the yardwork carrying in a Miami Classic II all day. A pair of cargo shorts, a T shirt and an unbuttoned, shortsleeve button down. I find it very comfortable, highly concealable, and with the tiedowns attached to my belt, super secure.

This set up gives me 25 rounds of .45 JHP on hand, and I just order a couple of 10 rounders for the holster, so that will give me 29 rounds in total.

1911's point naturally for me, and that makes it the best for self.

Well, I think the bottom line of this thread is that a Glock or P220 or the new double stack P227 will do everything a 1911 will do when it comes to defensive shooting, sans the tradition or the looks. Either way the OP choses to go will be a reliable and accurate firearm. I think it's safe to say that in full size, either of these guns are reliable, but that the "modern boys" have an edge in the compact size department. Am I correct here?

If I had to stake my life on a carry weapon that wouldn't break the bank, it would be a Glock. They're utterly reliable guns. However, if you're looking for large caliber for personal carry, consider this:

badass-sandw500.jpg

Now that will down the target for sure! (Might be a little tough for concealed carry though) [smile]

The only 1911 that I had issue with was an AMT Government Model. Even gagged on round ball. Sold it cheap, and told the person buying it about the problems.
Last I knew AMT is out of business, If that pistol was any indication of thier quality, Then that is a good thing.

The AMT (Arcadia Machine and Tool) Hardballer was a POS. It burst on the scene because it was the first stainless 1911. In addition to reliability problems there was also the galling issue which plagued all early stainless semi-autos until they got the alloys right.

The AMT guns got a lot of press in the gun rags and were the darling guns of a few gun writers. AMT itself was really never more than a glorified machine shop from what I understand.

Most around here knows I am a staunch supporter of the G36, but its not for everyone. Just ask ColdDay.

With that said if you are not carrying a G29 10MM than you're a p*ssy. [rofl] Just kidding! or am I?

That was my vote.

G29
More powerful than the 45acp and higher capacity.

Ammo is expensive but who cares if it's a carry gun. For the range you can play with some Underwood ammo.

My winter carry is a G20.

Pretty hard to beat 17+1 of 10mm going 1600 fps.

Last edited:
I don't understand your last paragraph. Mass produced 1911s have proliferated and are hot sellers. If you are suggesting or implying that people who purchase, shoot and use these pistols are somehow novices or not part of the 1911 cognoscenti then I would respectfully think you have a different perception. Not everyone can afford a $2K and up custom 1911 made by a name or no-name custom maker. Colt, Remington, S&W, Ruger all make decent mass produced 1911s IMO. There may be other brands as well.
More makers are producing 1911s than ever before and people are buying them up.

Mark, mass produced 1911's can have fitting problems a plenty, regardless of how many are being made and how many are buying them up. Clocking extractors, poor chamber/frame ramp gap (if any), etc. I doesn't take long in a 1911 forum, or looking at guns in a LGS to find this out. That's not to say that most aren't just fine, but people who have problems scream loud. I am not suggesting that everyone who buys a mass produced 1911 is a novice, but it's not hard to gather evidence that there are indeed novices with respect to 1911 and what on a 1911 has to be fitted just so to have a reliable pistol. I would suggest non-novices are aware, and have a different set of expectations as well as know what to look for.

I have a G30sf with a 10 round magazine and a Walther P99c AS 9mm in my rotation. The Walther conceals a little better but I feel better about carrying .45.

Only issue I have with the G30 right now is it does not have night sights.

Mark, mass produced 1911's can have fitting problems a plenty, regardless of how many are being made and how many are buying them up. Clocking extractors, poor chamber/frame ramp gap (if any), etc. I doesn't take long in a 1911 forum, or looking at guns in a LGS to find this out. That's not to say that most aren't just fine, but people who have problems scream loud. I am not suggesting that everyone who buys a mass produced 1911 is a novice, but it's not hard to gather evidence that there are indeed novices with respect to 1911 and what on a 1911 has to be fitted just so to have a reliable pistol. I would suggest non-novices are aware, and have a different set of expectations as well as know what to look for.

That could be said for any firearm made in general including ARs.

I'd have to say that untuned extractor issues are not uncommon but then again, almost anything on a 1911 can be fixed or tweaked or upgraded with after market parts. Then there is the full length guide rod crowd verus the standard GI guide rod crowd, external vs internal extractors, the purity of the Series 70 without the firing pin lock and the list goes on and on.

I remember reading on one forum where a gunsmith took apart a Ruger SR1911 and measured every part and then proceeded to explain how the parts were out of spec. He then proceeded to take the pistol to the range and it functioned flawlessly and displayed acceptable combat accuracty, about 3 inches at 25 yards. This is not a race gun, or an Ed Brown or a Les Baer or a RockRiver, but there is a certain degree of what I would call 1911 snobbery within the ranks. Maybe because the father of the 1911 Renaissance, so to speak, Jeff Cooper was an elitist himself, and Chuck Taylor who was another early disciple sort of had that attitude too. The thing of it is, the basic GI 1911A1 was loose fitting, capable of maybe three to four inch groups at 25 yards and was designed to be reliable under severe combat conditions. There is among the 1911 cognoscenti a group that would look upon with disdain anyone who ever carried a Remington Rand, US Switch and Signal or even Colt GI 1911A1 because it wouldn't make the cut. I think part of this disdain is more cultural, simply because the 1911 has been for many years now, a gun for the classes and is now once again being touted as a gun for the masses. It was readily adopted by the IPSC people and suffice to say there is within that particular community a group of what I will charitably call elitists. The agency that I work for went to the SWM&P .45, a good choice IMO, but the STOP Team (you can probably guess the agency because of that acronym) wanted 1911's, why? I'm guessing more of an elite status symbol, so they spent three days shooting S&W 1911's at the range with a S&W armorer who swapped out parts so that each gun was "perfect" at the end. Now I really don't know what this means. I also know the more you tweak and refine any handgun, you may impinge upon reliability under adverse conditions which was the great virtue of the original 1911, loose fit and generous tolerances. I'd like to see how well a race gun would do in Afghanistan.

There are a couple of ways to accomplish getting a high end 1911:

1. Spend a couple of thousand dollars and get a high end pistol
2. Purchase a stock factory produced 1911 and take to a reputable gunsmith and get is customized, like people have done for years
3. Purchase aftermarket parts and replace the stock parts with after market parts
4. Build your own if so inclined, and if you have the right equipment and aptitude
5. If it works fine leave it alone, if it is not broken and you are looking for a general purpose 1911 why change anything even if say the sear is .005 inches out of spec, if it works...why mess with it

There are lots of people who will never put 5000 rounds thru their 1911s, there are thousands who need to practice draw and presentation from the holster to master Condition 1, I will grant you that, but I can say that about owners of any handgun with regard to round usage and draw and presentation. There are those who purchase 1911s who want them because of the mystique that has grown up around the pistol. The gun press contantly hypes all the flavors of 1911s.

The truth of the matter is that millions of GI's never really liked the gun that much because of the technique that was taught one handed target style shooting for decades. In the days before eye and ear protection, shooting a 1911 offhand could be a daunting and even unpleasant experience, I'll wager and a lot of training was nothing more than familiarization. The DOD wanted to replace the pistol in the late 40's {hence the development of the Colt Commander originally in 9mm and the S&W M39} but decided against it because who needed a pistol in the age of Atomic Warfare and Strategic Airpower which was going to be the new face of all future conflicts? The 1911 was "good enough."

I agree totally that the development of the micro 1911's does affect reliability, maybe not for the casual user, but start going thru thousands of rounds and reliability is affected. Browning never conceived the pistol to be a compact gun and some would argue that even the Commander style pistol is not as reliable as the 5 inch model. I'd say that after 64 years of producing that kind of pistol, most of the kinks have been worked out.

ChrisATX I appreciate your reply to my post and your reasoning. I understand, I think your position. It is a worldview that many hold, but I think one can look at this from several different angles.

Back
Top Bottom