• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bigger caliber carry gun options

I have a Para Ordnance LDA Carry and I love it. It EATS everything I throw down that pipe (around 7000-7500 rnds) and have never had a failure with it. Also its funny to go to the range and have people staring wondering why that little gun makes such a boom. LOL

Say I were to build an officers size 1911, where is a good place to buy a frame? What frames should I stay away from?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Say I were to build an officers size 1911, where is a good place to buy a frame? What frames should I stay away from?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My vote is for a G29/G30, but if you want to 1911 shop, Brownells carries Nighthawk Custom frames and slides. It's best to have a qualified gunsmith fit the pair of items with a barrel, and perform your final assembly / fitting.

Why would you want to use a cartridge designed for a 9mm-sized frame in a 1911?

I think .357 sig was designed for a frame similar to .40 S&W.
I like .357 sig for an EDC. I'm comfortable with it and recognize that others are comfortable with other calibers.

I like my 1911's especially my SW1911ES.

Besides, the engineer in me wants to make things that don't exist or at least don't commonly exist.

I think .357 sig was designed for a frame similar to .40 S&W.
I like .357 sig for an EDC. I'm comfortable with it and recognize that others are comfortable with other calibers.

I like my 1911's especially my SW1911ES.

Besides, the engineer in me wants to make things that don't exist or at least don't commonly exist.

.40 was also designed to fit in 9mm sized frames. All three (.40, .357sig, and 9mm) have almost the same OAL, whereas a standard .45 frame will accommodate at least another 10th of an inch of OAL. So if you have all of that space in a 1911, why wouldn't you go with .38 super or 9x23 or even 9x25 to take advantage of the space? "Just because" is a valid answer, I was just curious.

Last edited:
My answer would simply be that I would look to put the most effective defensive round into the most proven firing system.

No offense but that's a terrible answer. If you could get that same 9mm projectile moving another 250 feet per second wouldn't that be ~at least~ as effective? (Isn't that the same argument for .357sig over 9mm in the first place?)

And if you absolutely had to have .357 sig wouldn't you rather have 15 of them in the mag instead of 9?

I have guns in .357 sig and I have 1911s, I just don't see the point of putting them together. It just seems like putting a Wankel engine in a Chevelle. Both the engine and the car kick ass, but they're still not the best match possible for each other.

No offense but that's a terrible answer. If you could get that same 9mm projectile moving another 250 feet per second wouldn't that be ~at least~ as effective? (Isn't that the same argument for .357sig over 9mm in the first place?)

And if you absolutely had to have .357 sig wouldn't you rather have 15 of them in the mag instead of 9?

I have guns in .357 sig and I have 1911s, I just don't see the point of putting them together. It just seems like putting a Wankel engine in a Chevelle. Both the engine and the car kick ass, but they're still not the best match possible for each other.

Fine!

I'll go get a 1911 in .50 GI then :p

BTW, I think Wankels should go in everything. <-- that one is serious

Fine!

I'll go get a 1911 in .50 GI then :p

BTW, I think Wankels should go in everything. <-- that one is serious

.50GI sounds like fun. I've never shot one of those. I really want to do a 9x25 longslide some day, not because it's practical but just cool.

I say go with a G30 or G29. Both are way more manageable than my 45 XDS. All that said, I'll be picking up a G30S when I can find one...

Lame. I carry a Glock seven. The good thing is, I can even carry it on a plane, because the TSA just doesn't have the ability or the technology to find it. Ha, how'bout that?

[video=youtube_share;OLBvvrC1IqY]http://youtu.be/OLBvvrC1IqY?t=1m42s[/video]

1:40

That's because the G21s are built like tanks. Anyone that claims that they're grenades is retarded. run them dirty until they can't even chamber a round (drgrant's)

That's why I have two G21's a G30 and a G36. Like a Timex, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Last edited:

Different strokes for different folks. I never said that I wanted a 1911 in the first place, just because I think the design is outdated. I'd rather stick with something a little more recent, but that's just me. I was just saying that the design is proven, and that it seems to be reliable at least in the GI specs. I'm not a fan of all these Eilson, STI and other 2k+ handguns. They lose their status as a tool of war and become works of art and craftsmanship. If I wanted that for myself, I'd collect mini engines or something like that. Guns are just tools, created with a single purpose in mind. What people made of them (Instruments for hunting, target/competition shooting, you name it) is a whole different story. That is also the reason why I like AKs. They are a very effective tool for warriors. Reliable, reliable, reliable. That's what you want from a weapon in the field. No fancy ebony grips, no supertight tolerances that will make the weapon subject to failures of all kinds, and all that other bling and doodahs people put on their fancy 1911s nowadays. Again, JMO, and wa all know that opinions are like armpits.
Now for the .357 sig, I believe that its superior barrier penetrration abilities make it a better defensive round than the ,45. Also MY opinion. So, combining this caliber with ANY semi automatic firearm plattform can't be a bad idea.

Different strokes for different folks. I never said that I wanted a 1911 in the first place, just because I think the design is outdated. I'd rather stick with something a little more recent, but that's just me. I was just saying that the design is proven, and that it seems to be reliable at least in the GI specs. I'm not a fan of all these Eilson, STI and other 2k+ handguns. They lose their status as a tool of war and become works of art and craftsmanship. If I wanted that for myself, I'd collect mini engines or something like that. Guns are just tools, created with a single purpose in mind. What people made of them (Instruments for hunting, target/competition shooting, you name it) is a whole different story. That is also the reason why I like AKs. They are a very effective tool for warriors. Reliable, reliable, reliable. That's what you want from a weapon in the field. No fancy ebony grips, no supertight tolerances that will make the weapon subject to failures of all kinds, and all that other bling and doodahs people put on their fancy 1911s nowadays. Again, JMO, and wa all know that opinions are like armpits.
Now for the .357 sig, I believe that its superior barrier penetrration abilities make it a better defensive round than the ,45. Also MY opinion. So, combining this caliber with ANY semi automatic firearm plattform can't be a bad idea.

I agree on all of your points except the very last one.

I don't know too much about them but I've always been sort of intrigued by the SW Pro Series 1911. Never handled one either so I'm not sure of the weight. Seems like I nice carry piece if you wanted to go .45

who doesn't?

What madness is this? Recommending to stay away from the elite carry gun? All I carry are 1911's !!!!!
Truth be told, I carry a G29sf or G30sf as my edc. Although i might be biased, I'm not ignorant enough to tell anyone to avoid a 1911.

I've seen a lot of glock talk here. Anyone shoot the M&P compact 40 or 45?

I am switching from a Glock 19 to a M&P9, but that's because my gf got a sick deal on it when she became an armorer. I am moving to nh, so magazines are a non issue. We are standardizing mags and ammo across our carry guns and the night stand gun.

i haven't seen a gun mentioned that wont do the job, if you carry a low capacity subcompact, think of it as your express pass to hightail it to the AR or 12 gauge. if you carry a mega capacity glock, well start laying supressive fire to get to cover and thank God you still have a dozen left. I ordered a CT laserguard for my Kahr CW40. The red dot is worth the "crap your pants" factor for the bad guy or at least help for a slightly improved shot placement in some low light or move/fire situations.

'Merica would like to thank everyone standing up for the 1911 platform.

It's pretty easy to understand where the "avoid" sentiment comes from. Couple the massive number of them made, the number of places making them, the multitude of manufacturing methods and tolerances being used, with the majority of users who realistically don't know their pistol well enough to even be able to say whether it runs reliably, and it's a recipe for a bad reputation.

"1911's are what you show your friends..." If you're clueless.

8808512962_5a42fe6ea7.jpg

Last edited:
I've never heard that the 1911 has a bad rep. I mean, thousands of dead Germans, Japanese, Italians, vietcong and others would agree with me. The A1 is a mighty fine weapon of war. Just outdated, heavy and with limited capacity, but still capable of doing a deadly job.

Back
Top Bottom