Best red dot for ar15

Newbie here... What makes one red dot better than the other? What am I looking for when I'm holding a $400 dollar reddot sight next to a $99 red dot sight? I'm just curious on what to gauge as a quality/justification for the difference in price.

So a bunch of guys have already mentioned the Vortex SPARC, but it should be noted that vortex now offers a SPARC specifically designed for use on a flat top AR, the vortex SPARC AR. http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/sparc_ar_red_dot

As far as comparing other dots, the vortex is tough as nails and will hold a zero no problem, but aimpoints are better for a bunch of reasons, including toughness, battery life, and water resistance. Personally I'll be making the plunge from a vortex sparc ii, to an aimpoint micro t-2 on the larue mount cause it's going on the rifle I want to trust with defending my life.

I'm not rich, so an expensive red dot is out of the question. My bushnell trs25 and primary arms,both in that $70 range work fine all the way out to 100 yards. That's as far as I'm shooting right now and puts it all within 8" shooting every second or 2. Not in competition so I don't need a $500+ red dot.

Newbie here... What makes one red dot better than the other? What am I looking for when I'm holding a $400 dollar reddot sight next to a $99 red dot sight? I'm just curious on what to gauge as a quality/justification for the difference in price.

Quality is mostly unseen. Read all the specs. Read the reviews. You generally get what you pay for in the $100 to $400 range.

Yeah......I know I'm going to start world war 3 but, I have a new Ruger AR 556 and am leaning towards vortex sparc II......good idea or no ?

Just for some variety, here's the red dot page at Primary Arms. It lists most of the best budget red dot sights including the Vortex Strikefire II, the Vortex Sparc II, the Lucid HD7 Gen III, The Holosun's and the Primary Arms sights as well as the $400-ish Aimpoints. Read the reviews, compare the features like battery life and red dot size and go from there.

http://www.primaryarms.com/red-dot-sights/c/130200/pgnum/1/pgsize/All/

Quality can be seen quite easily. That TRS-25 gets completely washed out on a sunny day in the winter. I have yet to wash out the AimPoint.

Battery life is tangible. Aimpoint is 2-5 years.

Build quality is tangible in holding zero when dropped, run over, or impacted as well as water proof.

Quality can be seen quite easily. That TRS-25 gets completely washed out on a sunny day in the winter. I have yet to wash out the AimPoint.

Build quality is tangible in holding zero when dropped, run over, or impacted as well as water proof.

This can all be seen before you purchase?? From an internet website?? A magazine ad?? Even if a shop has one in stock, the only thing you may detect is washout if the shop has big windows, on a bright day. Read the reviews. Read the specs.

This can all be seen before you purchase?? From an internet website?? A magazine ad?? Even if a shop has one in stock, the only thing you may detect is washout if the shop has big windows, on a bright day. Read the reviews. Read the specs.

I did not write that you could tell without having it in your hand, on your weapon, and using it. What I did write was examples of how quality is tangible so that the OP could have an idea of what to look for and what he would get for his money.

I used one of these last Sunday VX•R Patrol 1.25-4x20mm (30mm) , I can't say its the best I have not owned a lot of red dots.
Although I liked it enough to research some prices
http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Leupold-VXR-125-4x20mm-FireDot-Duplex-111230_p_404.html

So far the roughest toughest longest lasting red dot I own is my Tasco ProPoint made in Japan era. Not sure how the new China made version is.
I also have a few sub 150$ ones that are just ok. They are are not on ARs.

Attachments

• IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 58

I disagree with this. The dot presented by my TRS-26 is nearly as good as on my Aimpoint Micro T1.

The thing about Aimpoints is they are as reliable as iron sights. The batter lasts over a year with the sight left on and you can literally drop the rifle sight down onto concrete and it will continue to run.

Don

I'm just speaking from experience: The TRS-25 on my 930 was completely washed out three weeks ago on a sunny day with snow on the ground. The M4 on my AR9mm was not washed out in the same conditions. I'm not sure what else to say on that.

You seem to agree with the rest of what I wrote however.

I disagree with this. The dot presented by my TRS-26 is nearly as good as on my Aimpoint Micro T1.

The thing about Aimpoints is they are as reliable as iron sights. The batter lasts over a year with the sight left on and you can literally drop the rifle sight down onto concrete and it will continue to run.

Don

I actually like my TRS25 , and primary arms red dot, on sunny days because they like a tiny bright red pin dot. If that's washed out, then that's fine by me. I cannot compare these and an aimpoint because I've never used one before. What does washed out mean, it gets blurry?

If I drop my AR and break the red dot, I'll buy another, still cheaper. And batteries are like a buck a piece. If I had a lot of money and was rich ,then yes I'd get the aimpoint.

Take a look at the Holosun HS403A Red Dot, can be found for about $160, comes with riser, 2 MOA dot, 50,000 hour battery life, and lifetime warranty.

Take a look at the Holosun HS403A Red Dot, can be found for about $160, comes with riser, 2 MOA dot, 50,000 hour battery life, and lifetime warranty.

I only just got one of these, and I'm pretty pleased as far as first impressions go. Glass is clear, dot is sharp, no coloration looking through the optic, adjustments have a solid click to them as they move, everything seems good thus far and I feel it was a fair price as long as it holds up over the long term. For a "range only" optic I feel comfortable with it.

If you're feeling lucky, try ebay for used stuff too. A while back I snagged an Aimpoint CompM4 for $350. Cosmetically speaking you could say it has some "character" but it works great.

I actually like my TRS25 , and primary arms red dot, on sunny days because they like a tiny bright red pin dot. If that's washed out, then that's fine by me. I cannot compare these and an aimpoint because I've never used one before. What does washed out mean, it gets blurry?

If I drop my AR and break the red dot, I'll buy another, still cheaper. And batteries are like a buck a piece. If I had a lot of money and was rich ,then yes I'd get the aimpoint.

Washed out means you can't see the dot because the brightness of the target/ background is brighter then the dot. A lot of the cheaper dots are dim in comparison to the aimpoint. My primary arms is dimmer than my aimpoint. Both the Aimpoint and Primary arms have had to go back because of issue with the brightness dial. The Aimpoint was only very dim or full bright, the Primary arms flickered on and off

Aimpoint Micro is THE BEST red dot. however there are solid alternatives for cheaper money.

I personally view it as I may use this rifle to defend my life/property so I want the best there is and not worry about turning it on Aimpoint is always on ready to go

Regarding red dot brightness, I have two TRS-25's and one is a good 25%-30% brighter than the other one and the one with the new battery is the dimmer one. Weird.

Yes great sight. The 403C has a built in solar piece that will run off sunlight if bright enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To put it in perspective, an AimPoint PRO is equal in cost to a single case of 5.56

The aimpoint PRO was a game changer.

Its basically a Comp M2 with a mount for $350 if you shop around.

The only reason I have Micro T1s is because I stumbled into a mind boggling deal on them a few years ago. If I were in the market for a "battleworthy" red dot, it would be the PRO.

If I was in the market for a red dot for a play gun, my search would start with the TRS25 since I have great experience with them. I have heard that the newer ones are different, but can't verify that.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another option for you red dot users. Scroll down to bottom.

https://seeallopensight.com

I got to play with one of these at SHOT. I didn't like it. It completely obscures the target below the aiming point. Even more so than iron sights. Its personal preference, but that is just me. It was well constructed and seemed to be based on sound fundamentals.

Don

I have AimPoints on 3 of my ARs. T1/T2 is the way to go if you have the budget but the PRO is the best bang for your buck, just my opinion. You give up a bit of weight, size, and battery life but you save about $150 ($370 for PRO and $525 for T1).

Back
Top Bottom