Bass Pro Shop Loses Another Sale

The reason the prices at the box stores are high is because they can. And it's only going to get worse as people fool themselves into thinking that it makes sense to spend $30 on gas to save $10 on a box of ammo.

Meanwhile, stores like us that provide service before and after the fact are struggling. I just don't get it.[frown]

Meanwhile, stores like us that provide service before and after the fact are struggling. I just don't get it.[frown]

Me either. It depends on what I'm buying, though. I'll go to a box store because 9 times out of 10 a local shop won't have what I need. Rather than make multiple stops, I hit up the box stores.

Me either. It depends on what I'm buying, though. I'll go to a box store because 9 times out of 10 a local shop won't have what I need. Rather than make multiple stops, I hit up the box stores.

If I'm not in a hurry, I call my local shop to see if they have what I'm looking for. If they don't have it, they usually get it for me by the next Thursday.

The reason the prices at the box stores are high is because they can. And it's only going to get worse as people fool themselves into thinking that it makes sense to spend $30 on gas to save $10 on a box of ammo.

Again, I've found the opposite to be true. I understand service before, during and after the sale - I think in many ways the local shops well surpass the big box stores. However, I think it's a bit shortsighted to tell us all that people "spend $30 on gas to save $10 on on a box of ammo". That's just a bit on the pompous side don't you think? Do you really think we are all that stupid? Do me a favor, post your everyday price on a case of Remington 9mm FMJ, or perhaps Gun Club 12ga 71/2 shot and tell us how stupid we all are....Some people are smarter than you give them credit for and look to places to save money to continue to enjoy the sport....Not everyone can fork over 10-bucks more a box for ammo in some cases to keep your business going.

If I'm not in a hurry, I call my local shop to see if they have what I'm looking for. If they don't have it, they usually get it for me by the next Thursday.

Depends on what it is for me. Usually when I go to a box store it's because I'm buying a bunch of hunting supplies, which FS doesn't carry, and I'll pick up my ammo etc while I'm there. Most other things I get from Carl. I'll drive out of my way to go there for something, even though Dick's is closer, just to give him my business.

Obviously, based on my posts in other threads, customer service is the most important thing for me. You treat me well, you have a customer for life. I'll pay more, within reason, for personal service.

Again, I've found the opposite to be true. I understand service before, during and after the sale - I think in many ways the local shops well surpass the big box stores. However, I think it's a bit shortsighted to tell us all that people "spend $30 on gas to save $10 on on a box of ammo". That's just a bit on the pompous side don't you think? Do you really think we are all that stupid? Do me a favor, post your everyday price on a case of Remington 9mm FMJ, or perhaps Gun Club 12ga 71/2 shot and tell us how stupid we all are....Some people are smarter than you give them credit for and look to places to save money to continue to enjoy the sport....Not everyone can fork over 10-bucks more a box for ammo in some cases to keep your business going.

Thank you for the insults.
As a matter of fact, I KNOW some people are that stupid. We see them all the time.
We had someone come in a while back and give us a hard time about a price on a Smith. He told us he could drive 75 mile to Kittery and get it for $50 cheaper. We told him he should buy two while he was at it.

Thank you for the insults.
As a matter of fact, I KNOW some people are that stupid. We see them all the time.
We had someone come in a while back and give us a hard time about a price on a Smith. He told us he could drive 75 mile to Kittery and get it for $50 cheaper. We told him he should buy two while he was at it.

Insults? Are you kidding? Reread your post and tell me just who threw out the first insult?

News Shooter said:
And it's only going to get worse as people fool themselves into thinking that it makes sense to spend $30 on gas to save $10 on a box of ammo.

While it might be better to shop at Dicks...

Let's go into Dicks, get all the Sents, Duck/Deer/Moose/Goose/etc..calls, the Camo, decoys, then go over for some good clothing, maybe grab a beer, have a bite to eat, then pick up a smoker, charcoal, and have someone set you up with a complete fly rig, line it with what you need, pick up some flys, have a casting lesson with the rod that you're wanting to by, take your Firearms Safety class, learn a little survival from a Vietnam Paratrooper, and then play a little bit on the shooting range...

Yea, I'll go to Dicks everytime. Sorry, I worked at Dicks, I've never looked back..and will shop at BPS everyday.

While for the most part, big box stores can be a pain in the ass. Bass Pro cares about outdoor lifestyles, shooting, fishing, camping, etc...where Dicks is pretty much a Sporting goods store with a little outdoors in the corner...

I don't see Dick's supporting the Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, National Shooting Sports Foundation, NRA, and the Olympic Athletes...

You did the right thing about going to another store, companies can spend millions in advertising, but all it takes is the old word of mouth to really shit on the parade.

Not to jump away from this thread too much, but in 2001 the wife and I went to go buy a new car, the dealer we stopped had one of the worst sales persons I ever had encountered. He asked when do you plan on buying? Our reply was within the month and he walked away. So we left and ended up driving to the next Saturn dealer. There we made our decision, waited three weeks for the car to be built to what we ordered and when it was delivered we picked it up. That same day I drove down to the first Saturn dealer we stopped at, got out of the car and went inside. Spoke to the sales manager and basically said "Your team sucks, look outside.. that could have been a sale made here" He had no comment and I walked away with a smile, as I was outside I saw the sales rep that walked away from me the first time. I got into my new car and gave the guy the good old finger and laughed.

Obviously, based on my posts in other threads, customer service is the most important thing for me. You treat me well, you have a customer for life. I'll pay more, within reason, for personal service.

Thank you!! I'm in sales (not firearm or sports related) and sell product that my competitors sell, only I charge about 10% more. The reason we charge what we do is to provide the level of service that we do.

Today is a perfect example. I was in Portland Maine today at about 9:45 i got a call from a customer (also in Portland). He forgot to place an order (for 1 item that costs $42) that he needed for 1:00 today. My response, was "I got you covered". I finished up at the account I was at, drove to our warehouse in Wilmington Mass, picked up his $42 case and drove it back to Portland within his time demands.

It cost me $60 in gas to sell a $42 case. As I was leaving he gave me an order for next week, $4500. he could have saved $450-500 by getting it from someone else.

People only complain about the price of something when the quality or service is not what they expected.

Why the F didn't you pick up the damn phone? It would've saved you a couple of bucks worth of gas and saved us all a little time. I for one don't mind dropping into BP whenever I feel the need to.

For such a busy place they have bent over backwards and spend plenty of time with me. As someone who was JOAD archery coach and avid 3D archer, I probably will never buy archery tackle there for myself, but I have sent handfuls of others there and will continue doing so.

I may only spend under $50 but that doesn't seem to matter to them. I still go to Dick's on occasion and other small M&P stores but I usually call first to make sure they have what I need. Perhaps I had been in there ten times before I bought a gun but it was a great deal. I bought a JM 625 listed at over 1K for $562 and change.

When you go to Dick's in Dedham there is a wait for service as there never seems to be an associate in the area. So there is a tradeoff IMHO. Wally World is no different except there are no more guns for sale.

I do not work there either......John

I didn't call cause the place is huge, figured it was in stock... I was wrong. I won't call next time though, I'll just go to Dick's first.

But I still will go to Bass Pro, for smaller stuff I can't find at other stores. But honestly, if I can find it elsewhere I'll buy it elsewhere cause its cheaper usually. Bass Pro does have a crapload of muzzleloader stuff, closer than any other comparable store to me, so I'll still go there for that sort of stuff, unless I decide to go online..

Bass Pro Shops

I have a Bass Pro Shops story: Firstly, I love the place. I go nearly weekly (it's way too close to my home for my budget!). I hit the fly fishing room and pick out a bunch of flies, head up stairs and go through the long sleeve tees then go to hunting where I buy ammo and other accessories. I hope I just established that I'm a loyal and regular customer

About a month ago I got the specials in the mail. Advertised was a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with a fluted stainless barrel on sale for $300. To be clear the picture represented this and the description agreed. Needless to say I rushed over. The clerk there was surprised and said that it was a great deal. I knew it was because a pistol like that retails for at least $150 more than that. Well with my LTC and debit card on the table, the clerk went to retrieve the pistol from out back. He came back with the Mark III bull barrel in blue. Which is not the pistol in the ad. He said that the SKU was the right SKU and Bass Pro had made a mistake in their flyer. There was nothing he could do.

I left dejected. A manager caught me at the door and offered me a $25 gift certificate which I promptly put towards a box of ammo.

I'm not upset. In fact I did get a free $25 gift certificate which is a gain. I was hoping though they would honor their ad in the flyer as most retail location do. The clerks and managers are all good guys there and know a lot about their respective departments and even beyond.

That's my story

I always thought they HAD to honor their advertisements.

I thought so too. But there is some fine print on the bottom of the page stating "Dates times and appearances subject to change" I guess that means, if we mess up don't hold us to it.

i have always been a big proponent of supporting local gunshops because these big box stores dont have the customer service that you local shop has and they dont have the friendly relationships built between customer and clerk.

South Park, Wal Mart and life lessons

Everybody should watch the South Park episode on Walmart.

Yes I know its a cartoon, but sometimes it makes a good point and I bet some people here watch it and laugh their asses off. In this episode the new big box walmart opens 24/7 and the whole town is there all the time and all the rest of downtown turns into a delapitated ghost town. Soon it starts controlling their lives, so the kids have to kill the store to save the town. The store is destroyed and all the towns people vow to never let that happen again and to only shop local businesses, so they go to the little local drug store and shop, soon the little local store has tons more money and expands and becomes a big box store of its own on the site of the old walmart. The cycle continues.

BPS is not a store, its an experience. It is sold as such on their website. You look up store info and it details all the things to see and do, not what they sell.

Dicks is just a sporting goods store with guns. Sold as a place that soccer moms and baseball dads can come and outfit their kids. While they are there they can pickup something for themselves, such as ammo or a new golf club.

Cabelas is a strange place, not much of an experience but they have everything. Great place to go with a list. One stop shopping for the next expediton.

LL Bean is also sold as an experience, why else would they be open 24 hours in a town that rolls up the carpets at 9pm. Yes I have been there at 3am. Why? Because I could and you have to do it at least once. There were about 25 other customers there too! The staff at that time is even more helpful and willing to let you try everything. Ever walk around a store for an hour in a pair of waders for the hell of it?

KTP is tops though. For the simple reason that everything is 25% or more off the cost of someplace else. Not looking for a lasting a relationship, just a great deal. Grab them while you can. Plus the employees there are the nicest of any store I have been to. They are obviously not pressured to sell items, just to be as helpful as possible.

Every industry has their problems both local level and national chains. There will always be bad experiences and good experiences. Don't let one bad experience with one sales person ruin it for you.

With the economic problems now, stores will do anything to prevent losing a sale. The gift card that BPS has given some here is a nice gesture to make up for the trouble of coming down and then not having what you wanted. It will at least makeup for the gas.

If I am going to go drive someplace to buy an item I have decided on I will call the store and ask them to put it aside for me. Most stores will do this and hold it for 24 hours or until the close of business that day.

Box stores cant be everything and neither can the local guys. But they need each other and sometimes they forget this. You might go buy that pistol on sale at BPS and save $75, but then want a new grip, or a trigger job, new sights etc and will go to your local gun shop for those since BPS won't be able to provide all that. Together everybody wins.

In the hardware world, little local hardware stores everywhere were saved by Do-it Best. They came in and became the provider for all hardware inventory. but the store remains independant and still provides the local knowledge and specialized items you wont find anywhere else.

Maybe its time for a local gun shop system such as this. A company that would provide the most common items needed at a shop as common stock at a box store competive price, leaving the local owner free to add value to the items through their services and knowledge, as well as providing specialized items hard to find anywhere else. This would allow the little guy to offer that same gun at $75 off and then the competition for business turns to the service provided only.

Sorry for the long post. I ramble sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me see, you want the store to give you a discount because it's the floor model. Then they will have to 'make' another display model and when they sell that one give someone else another discount. Doesn't make business sense. If they were out of stock, not getting anymore in (model discontinued or no longer carrying the model) than I could see them willing to give you a discount on the floor model. I like to buy large appliances this way (when models are being discontinued - the floor models get really cheap when they run out of stock) and saved $700 on a refrigerator this way a few months back.

I hate to say it but I agree with Bass Pro on this one. Try waiting to the end of hunting season and look for the safes to go on sale.

Which stack-on? I was a dicks the other night and the cheep sheet metal stack on cabinets ranged in price from $119 or $199 (-$50 instant rebate).

BPS had the identical cabinets for seemingly double the price.

once and once only

My wife and i went last fall when they opened. Agree a new store
is gonna be a zoo. I found a lot of nice items. But we're not into
large stores with crowds. I did want some items but decided to
forgo these because i could not find anyone to take the money,
never mind getting their attention.

Your better off buying locally from someone you know or have done
business with than there. Its not the merchandise its the service
form someone who knows the subject.

JimB

All shops have there benefits.

I was a Bass pro last night. I bought camo for Monday, about $120 dollars worth. Bass Pro has a large selection. I browsed all the hunting apparel, and found exactly what I wanted. In the sizes and styles I wanted them in. I bought 1 rifle from them, and never will again. The guy working behind the counter had no idea about anything. He was also very grumpy and sarcastic. I bought a bow from BP before a found Jerry’s in Milford. BP did not set it up or prep it. Jerry’s did. From now all bow perches go to Jerry. Unless im already at a shop that has the product. Then I buy it because its just easier.

That afternoon I was at Dick’s in Millbury, I stopped in on my way home from school to buy a tree stand. They had very little camo in stock, but I got a great climbing tree stand for $100. (Bass pro was $85 more.)

I only but firearms, ammo, etc from small gun shops, and I only eat at mom and pop restaurants. Because they need my money more then the large places.

I can see why bass pro would not sell you the floor model cheaper. I would have done the same. Dicks would not sell me a floor model of the safe I wanted. They sent me to another store.

Sometimes you get a hit sometimes you strike out.

Back
Top Bottom