• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 BUILD in MA

Now here's a question for you. So say I had a lower I got from my lgs say two years ago now. Never did anything with it. If I were to build it can it be registered???

Basically better off just overpaying for someone else’s $700-800 AR?
tl;dr The system is rigged to make people say, "reading this makes me not even want to attempt it."

What I meant was after you get into the nuts and bolts of whats legal and whats not legal and how to go about owning firearms in MA without being jammed up, a lot of people throw up their hands and give up, which is exactly what the system is designed to do. Basically...

-people with money can buy an AR thats ridiculously over priced (due to forces exerted on the market by government) and not care much because they have the money to buy and not care much.
-poor(er) people can find ways to wriggle themselves into AR ownership and maybe not get jammed up and end up in jail and/or a pp.
-people in both camps say "f*ck it, it isnt worth it" and thats one less guy with a rifle walking around.

Gov doesnt like other people having rifles. It especially doesnt like the smelly commoners having rifles. The system is rigged to make it as hard as possible for the non-anointed ones to own what the government sees as a possible threat. (all of the above applies to mg's as well) Compare the number of people killed by handguns every year to the number killed by rifles and tell me why the gov makes such a stink over rifles and pretty much ignores crimes committed with handguns.

tl;dr The system is rigged to make people say, "reading this makes me not even want to attempt it."

What I meant was after you get into the nuts and bolts of whats legal and whats not legal and how to go about owning firearms in MA without being jammed up, a lot of people throw up their hands and give up, which is exactly what the system is designed to do. Basically...

-people with money can buy an AR thats ridiculously over priced (due to forces exerted on the market by government) and not care much because they have the money to buy and not care much.
-poor(er) people can find ways to wriggle themselves into AR ownership and maybe not get jammed up and end up in jail and/or a pp.
-people in both camps say "f*ck it, it isnt worth it" and thats one less guy with a rifle walking around.

Gov doesnt like other people having rifles. It especially doesnt like the smelly commoners having rifles. The system is rigged to make it as hard as possible for the non-anointed ones to own what the government sees as a possible threat. (all of the above applies to mg's as well) Compare the number of people killed by handguns every year to the number killed by rifles and tell me why the gov makes such a stink over rifles and pretty much ignores crimes committed with handguns.
Probably 100% true . I read a post and decided I didn’t wanna get into any legal situations . I paid $1200 for a $700 AR not too long ago.

Probably 100% true . I read a post and decided I didn’t wanna get into any legal situations . I paid $1200 for a $700 AR not too long ago.
I got into guns not long before Sandy Hook and started accumulating parts for an AR build around that time. I dont even want to know what the cost was, lol.

This thread is a dumpster fire.
There is what the law says.
There is what the AG has interpreted.
Since they don't align, There is a court case or 2.
Check the FAQ and do (or not do) what you want. No one can say what is legal vs illegal when the law is not the law and we are being ruled by FAQ.

There is also my standard reply that it's cute everyone is still trying to follow the law (that isn't) and regulations (that conflict). As long as we are all still asking 'Maura may I' what do you think we are going to get? If we decide that we are adults, not criminals and free citizens and follow the CotUS things will change - they may be difficult for awhile but they will change.

I'm mobile only today so I won't be able to look up a cite, but anecdotally, we're required to "register" stripped lowers. Typically, those have no barrels and would be hard put to fire a round other than possibly by hammering it with the lower.
No. We're not. Registration, insofar as it exits, applies to devices that are capable of firing a shot.

That there are FFLs who were known to FA-10 stripped lowers doesn't mean you're required to. Quite the opposite, this came up on these boards precisely because the commonwealth does NOT consider a stripped lower a firearm, even if BATFE does. Until a completed lower is paired with an upper, it is not a rifle in the eyes of MA, and not covered by the FA-10 system.

Meanwhile, there are many folks who elected to proactively register their lowers (as 0", multi-caliber rifles, or similar) back on 7/20, because they were scared of prosecution. This is a choice that those individuals made for themselves, but not required by law.

There is a letter from the AGs office stating otherwise. They do say keep proof that you had it. I say prove that I didn't.
What proof? I've never gotten a confirmation/copy of a 4473 in my life. Maybe a sales receipt that most of us forget in our pockets, put them through the wash a few times, and finally throw out with McDonald's slips? If the state wants proof, they've gotta do the leg work.

There is a letter from the AGs office stating otherwise. They do say keep proof that you had it. I say prove that I didn't.

Pre 7/20 there was no obligation to keep a record of your lower so you personally don't have to provide documentation, however, it would be registered in MA beforehand via efa-10 or if not a MA purchase she would need to query for the 4473. Either way, that information is available to her.

How can you register a lower without a barrel or unable to shoot a projectile ?

I've seen cases where they FORGED data (bbl length, caliber, etc.) on the FA-10 for a striped lower. The "system" wouldn't know the difference.

I've been told of cases where people put 0" bbl and random info for caliber. Many years ago FRB was pulling out those forms and trashing them as inappropriate for the database (this was when a staff member had to hand-scan the forms to the database). When staffing was reduced, they just scanned everything and let them thru. Now that it is electronic, there are no checks and balances for that sort of misinformation and thus they are added to the database. This info was told to me by the Director of FRB at the time.

I don't think that's a charge in MA, is it?

It's not, but many worry about imaginary laws. But DAs also do use it to try to buffalo judges and juries to believe it to be law (happened when I testified in a criminal case and the ADA wasn't happy with my answer).

This thread is a dumpster fire.
There is what the law says.
There is what the AG has interpreted.
Since they don't align, There is a court case or 2.
Check the FAQ and do (or not do) what you want. No one can say what is legal vs illegal when the law is not the law and we are being ruled by FAQ.

Basically this. The court cases are due to the AG BS being nothing but a fabrication by a politician gone mad.

I've seen cases where they FORGED data (bbl length, caliber, etc.) on the FA-10 for a striped lower. The "system" wouldn't know the difference.

I've been told of cases where people put 0" bbl and random info for caliber. Many years ago FRB was pulling out those forms and trashing them as inappropriate for the database (this was when a staff member had to hand-scan the forms to the database). When staffing was reduced, they just scanned everything and let them thru. Now that it is electronic, there are no checks and balances for that sort of misinformation and thus they are added to the database. This info was told to me by the Director of FRB at the time

So, since were hypothetically talking about inaccurate data on the efa system, what happens if you put a 20" barrel on a lower that was hastily registered as a 16" back on 7/20?

So, since were hypothetically talking about inaccurate data on the efa system, what happens if you put a 20" barrel on a lower that was hastily registered as a 16" back on 7/20?

They would be crazy to think that shooters do not replace barrels that are worn out.

What happens if you have a dozen uppers in different calibers and barrel lengths? Probably nothing.

And this thread took a tragic turn in a different direction. It started off with "how do I legally build an AR" to "Can I change the barrel length on my already built AR?"

And yes. You can change your barrel length any time you want (unless it's under 16" ofcourse..) And yes I know you can go under 16 with a tax stamp..

What happens if you have a dozen uppers in different calibers and barrel lengths? Probably nothing.

No problem. Nothing happens and nobody at FRB wants you to re-register every time you flip an upper.

Due to these type of discussions I checked my tissue paper FA-10 for the T/C Contender I bought back in the mid 1970s. You bought the frame and whatever barrels you wanted. I bought it with the .357Mag and .44Mag bbls and to this day I never installed the .44Mag bbl on that frame. Guess what? It's registered with the .44Mag bbl and not the .357Mag bbl that has been installed on that gun from the day I bought it. I still sleep well at night.

Back
Top Bottom