• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I a bad son?

Am I? What went wrong? My father is looking to buy a .40, with his eye on the m&p .40c.. I realize there comes a time when you need to let them make choices on their own, let them realize the consequences of their actions and such. He just turned 55 on friday, hes old enough to make his own decisions, but am I a bad son if I hold my tongue and let him go down the long dark road? [smile]

Why does everyone hate. 40???? Although illadmit I'm buying the 9mm conversion bbl and building me a nice 1911 in 10mm but still....

sent from my truck while driving down 95 in the high speed lane doing 55

If your father is looking at a compact pistol, I'm guessing it's for defense. A lot of law enforcement agencies have switched to the .40 and I suppose they know more about this stuff than I do. I'm a few years older than your dad but I'm still not too feeble to use the .45acp. The .40 shoots flatter than the .45 but that doesn't matter at ranges under 100 yards. The .40 kicks harder than the 9mm and is almost as expensive to shoot as the .45. He should shoot handguns in all 3 calibers,then decide.

Why does everyone hate. 40???? Although illadmit I'm buying the 9mm conversion bbl and building me a nice 1911 in 10mm but still....

not everyone hates the 40 s&w but a large portion of the readers here have been persuaded away from the caliber because it was designed from a 10mm that has less recoil. I'm sure some one will put up the link to ECs post from a few years ago.

I have two .40's, I don't give a rats behind that it was derived from 10mm, I shot and didn't like the 45 and one look at the 9mm bullet turned me off from that, but like those two calibers, everyone has a reason why the like it, I don't have to, and they don't have to like what I have and like.

SO cut the old man some slack and buy him a box of hydro shock bullets will ya?

The 40 SW is basically just a compromise between a 9mm's higher capacity and .45ACP's improved stopping power. Some people think it's best of both worlds, but being the pessimist that I am, I see it as having less stopping power than a .45 while fewer rounds than a 9mm. There's nothing "wrong" with the caliber, but everyone has an opinion on what caliber is best and why. Everyone always makes fun of the .40 but from looking at the brass left on the ground at my club, .40 SW is much more popular than .45ACP (or at least reloaded by fewer people).

This is going to be posted soon anyway, so I might as well be the one to put it up:
ballistic test.jpg

I find the m&p 40c to be a perfect size (I'm 6'6" 260+) the recoils light but it does flip a bit.... tell daddy get a 1911 and a .40 and a nice lil kahr pm9(want badly)

[laugh] Im just bored and trolling, havnt seen a good .40 hate thread in a while. He just sold his old benelli 9mm and wants something smaller so he can go back to carrying regularly, its between that and the lc9 I think.

[laugh] Im just bored and trolling, havnt seen a good .40 hate thread in a while. He just sold his old benelli 9mm and wants something smaller so he can go back to carrying regularly, its between that and the lc9 I think.

Tell him to get a Glock 36.

The 40 SW is basically just a compromise between a 9mm's higher capacity and .45ACP's improved stopping power.

I'll carry a 45 everyday.

It could be worse, at least it's not a 9mm. [thinking]

He's going backwards so you never know what will come next. At least it's not a .380.

I like my .40. I can't say I'd rather be shot with a 9mm though, or a .22 for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 8 different calibers in the ammo cabinet. Shoot and carry the 40's the most and the most accurate (probably because I shoot it the most) but I never carry a caliber smaller than 9mm in my Kahr PM9.

I still can't thank ACME ARMAMENT enough for selling me that thing. Everytime I fire that pistol it surprises me how accurate it is. If you want a really small pocket pistol that has more umph than a 380 you really should check it out.

40 is still my favorite caliber. I notice no difference in recoil with a 45 and I like the extra capacity, lower cost, and 40 will get the job done. I am a Glock hater, so quality large capacity 45 pistol is pretty limited, unless I move out of Mass

el duderino, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Stand by your Dad and let him know you still love him even when you don't agree with his choices in life. Perhaps you could contact .40CA (.40 Caliber Anonymous) for some help in dealing with this issue. Your Dad might even agree to attend some of their meetings. They don't allow any .40's at their meetings, but I understand they serve .45 ammo to guests.

Stay strong! [wink]

There is no such thing as stopping power except in static gelatin tests. Capacity and velocity are what count. If his dad likes the .40, then he should run with it. If he wants something else, he should run with that. It's that simple.

I completely agree with you, but it just depends how people define stopping power. I'd much rather be shot with a high velocity, smaller round than something slow and heavy like a .45ACP. They will transfer comparable amounts of energy assuming that they get stopped, but small and fast would be more likely to run through and through and transfer significantly less energy.

Most people have seen those amazingly gruesome pictures of that guy who was shot with a .223, but you have to understand it was stopped by his bone.

Last edited:
I don't have enough experience to throw in my own opinion but Hickok45 seems to love his G23

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP. Kids always think they know better than their parents. They usually don't. There's nothing wrong with the .40. Yes, it's a compromise. So to is every other cartridge out there.
If you really want to help your Dad go take out the trash. [rofl]

21e5Y.jpg

In my opinion, tests like these prove that the only difference between the different pistol rounds as far as how effective they are is cost, recoil and magazine capacity. Though that is a pretty seriously weak 9mm load they reference here. That bullet could be going quite a bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom