• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I a bad son?

In my opinion, tests like these prove that the only difference between the different pistol rounds as far as how effective they are is cost, recoil and magazine capacity. Though that is a pretty seriously weak 9mm load they reference here. That bullet could be going quite a bit faster.

No, that's not that slow. Even most +P 9mm 124 grainers are only going to hit low 1200s. Win Ranger 127 +P+ is like 1270 ish out of a Glock 19.

Bear in mind that most 124 gr Factory "practice" loads chrono at like low 1100s or even 1050 FPS or so.

-Mike

I like my S&W 4013tsw in .40.....has nothing to do with the cal. This gun just wears well for me has thicker grip which takes almost zero effort to get my hands on and im good to go to about 15' with out much effort.
I also like my S&W hamerless revolver in 38spl fits nicely in my pocket and the trigger is so much better than the M&P.

Why do people on this site hate the .40? Very simple they are used to being led like sheep and can't think or reason for themselves.

Why do people on this site hate the .40? Very simple they are used to being led like sheep and can't think or reason for themselves.

I just explained why I prefer 45ACP to .40 in my earlier post... We're not exactly lemmings running to the cliff. Granted my logic for choosing .45ACP may have some mistakes in the physics of it, but it's still the reason why I prefer that caliber. From the ballistics test it looks like .45ACP has the widest dark damage area, second only to the .357Sig. Will 9mm or .40 still work to stop an attacker? Yes, but so will a .22 if you shoot them enough times.

Last edited:
If it's no fun or too much work, you won't practice with it. If you don't practice, you'll fumble, or miss. If you miss your target, you'll eat a bat, or be a "body sheath" for a knife. Buy what you like to shoot, shoot what you like, a 15 round 9mm shot poorly loses to a 6 round .40 shot well every time.

I have an FNP-40 right now and I am going to a 9mm for one reason. Cost. I can shoot the 9mm so much cheaper than the .40 and the thing that really pisses me off is that it really doesn't cost that much more to make a .40vs a 9mm yet you pay $3-5 more for them. I would like to start reloading, but right now I just don't have the funds.

Last edited:
I'd be more critical of his choice of platform (M&P Compact) than caliber. Granted, some people really like the M&P, but they've never been my favorite gun to shoot (I had an M&P 9c for a short while). I'd make sure he shoots one and likes it before he drops money on one.

Back
Top Bottom