• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A trigger question from a newbie

So a friend of mine just got a Glock, the first gun he owned, not the first gun he shot. He thinks the trigger is a bit stiff.

So I told him, after a couple of hundred rounds through it, the trigger will get better.

Then he asked: What's the difference between I dry fire it a couple of hundred times and actually shoot it a couple of hundred times with ammo for the trigger?

I didn't have the answer for that. I tend to think they are the same.

Gotta agree... stock glock triggers are stiff.

The difference between dry fire and live fire... is a lot of money, ammo, and time. Unless he has a backyard range where he can shoot whenever he wants. It's a lot easier to find time to dry fire in the house than get to a range.

Since it's glock and striker fired. not much difference. But if it's rim fire and/or hammer fired, then you need to find ways to dry fire without causing damage to your gun.

Gotta agree... stock glock triggers are stiff.

The difference between dry fire and live fire... is a lot of money, ammo, and time. Unless he has a backyard range where he can shoot whenever he wants. It's a lot easier to find time to dry fire in the house than get to a range.

Since it's glock and striker fired. not much difference. But if it's rim fire and/or hammer fired, then you need to find ways to dry fire without causing damage to your gun.
I think the answer he was looking for is that there's no difference when it comes to the polishing action of wear either through dry fire or live fire.

I think the answer he was looking for is that there's no difference when it comes to the polishing action of wear either through dry fire or live fire.
Some components will smooth out better with the slide cycling from being shot but the trigger isn't one of them.

Your correct about just dry fire polishing it

So a friend of mine just got a Glock, the first gun he owned, not the first gun he shot. He thinks the trigger is a bit stiff.

So I told him, after a couple of hundred rounds through it, the trigger will get better.

Then he asked: What's the difference between I dry fire it a couple of hundred times and actually shoot it a couple of hundred times with ammo for the trigger?

I didn't have the answer for that. I tend to think they are the same.
Is it a standard Glock bought new at a shop or used from an individual, or is it a police trade in with a NYPD 10lb trigger?

Stock Glock triggers are not stiff by any normal standards, they are about 5.5lbs and pretty decent once you learn them, especially on Gen 5's.

Glock triggers sort of get spongy, then feel like you're on the sear, then you pull more and they creep with no feedback, then they break and surprise you.

You want to learn to pull the slack out and get the trigger halfway through the creep phase, check your sight picture, and break it from there. If you want a crisp trigger you're going to need either a drop in trigger kit or a different gun.

"Then he asked: What's the difference between I dry fire it a couple of hundred times and actually shoot it a couple of hundred times with ammo for the trigger?"
Ok, I will ask.
What is the story behind this picture?

Back
Top Bottom