• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 vs 44 mag vs 10mm Bear gun

What's everyone's opinion on a good handgun with bear stopping power? Up here in NH is only black bears and from what I've read they are timid, but what about if they encounter curious dogs? I frequently walk on my land with my pups and I'm not sure my ED 9mm carry would be optimal if faced with a situation of protecting myself and or my dogs. I was thinking about the 3 calibers I mentioned above. I like the G20 10mm but I have also never owned a wheel gun. For me 15+1 sounds like a better choice over 6? Yes I know there is speed loaders but I've never been in a high stress situation so I think it would be easier just mag dumping lol. Something I also read is any handgun cartridge over 200 gr and 1,000 fps will stop any bear.
Would like others opinions on this subject!

What's everyone's opinion on a good handgun with bear stopping power? Up here in NH is only black bears and from what I've read they are timid, but what about if they encounter curious dogs? I frequently walk on my land with my pups and I'm not sure my ED 9mm carry would be optimal if faced with a situation of protecting myself and or my dogs. I was thinking about the 3 calibers I mentioned above. I like the G20 10mm but I have also never owned a wheel gun. For me 15+1 sounds like a better choice over 6? Yes I know there is speed loaders but I've never been in a high stress situation so I think it would be easier just mag dumping lol. Something I also read is any handgun cartridge over 200 gr and 1,000 fps will stop any bear.
Would like others opinions on this subject!
S&W 686plus,7 shot 357 in a Diamond D chest holster. Corabond loads
Surprised no one mentioned getting a BFG in 45-70...
@Yankee1956 Now you need to get a 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum revolver. That way you can mix things up and have something NOT fugly (glock) in your set. I plan to get a Super Redhawk in 44 Magnum at some point (thinking within the next year/12 months). It's been on my list for a while now. I already have a 357 Magnum revolver.
S&W 686plus 357, corabond loads,diamond d Denali chest holster. Great rig for walking,atv,snow machine,fishing or horse. Let's all 2 and 4 leg critters know you are carrying. Have same setup for Alaska where I work only in 44 mag.

I would definitely carry both bear spray and a firearm in real bear country (not that I go anywhere remotely resembling that, as my Achilles' will not let me hike), but I have a feeling most predatory bear attacks (a rare event), the bear is on you before you know it. But if you have a friend there he can shoot at the thing/avenge you. My only handgun more powerful than 9mm is my FK Brno PSD. 100 grain slug, 2,000 fps. Maybe not ideal for a big bear. Since I can't hike distances anyway, I would carry that. I love that thing. I have been waiting for the compact version to come out.

10MM.... isn't that just a fancy name for a 40? Haha

9mm and or bear spray for me. And I hang out smack in the middle of the greatest concentration of grizzlies in the lower 48. I carry the 357 once in a while but it is a lot of extra weight. Not fond it. Black bears in NH? I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want bear protection, shoot what you can shoot accurately. Tough to be the accuracy of bear spray, kind of like a shotgun.

Black bears are not going to stalk you and the bulk of their diet are plants. So it probably won't charge you because you are near his food. Your only, very slight, worry is a sow with cubs.

For what it's worth, the odds of you pulling a gun successfully on a bear that you surprise is quite low. These encounters don't start from 100 feet away. It's more like 20 feet.

I would definitely carry both bear spray and a firearm in real bear country (not that I go anywhere remotely resembling that, as my Achilles' will not let me hike), but I have a feeling most predatory bear attacks (a rare event), the bear is on you before you know it. But if you have a friend there he can shoot at the thing/avenge you. My only handgun more powerful than 9mm is my FK Brno PSD. 100 grain slug, 2,000 fps. Maybe not ideal for a big bear. Since I can't hike distances anyway, I would carry that. I love that thing. I have been waiting for the compact version to come out.
"Because the 7.5 FK develops the same muzzle energy as the hottest 357 Magnum rounds, it’s necessary to add mass to the slide in order to slow things down to the point where the pistol doesn’t attempt to disassemble itself at every shot. To this end, its slide walls are considerably wider than usual, taking it about as far as possible before things start looking like a Hi-Point. Despite being thick, there’s a certain curviness to the slide profile which is aesthetically pleasing, and the front third is reminiscent of pocket autos of the early 20th century."
fk-brno-logo-9-675x450.jpg

Meh, .357 Sig anyone?

"Because the 7.5 FK develops the same muzzle energy as the hottest 357 Magnum rounds, it’s necessary to add mass to the slide in order to slow things down to the point where the pistol doesn’t attempt to disassemble itself at every shot. To this end, its slide walls are considerably wider than usual, taking it about as far as possible before things start looking like a Hi-Point. Despite being thick, there’s a certain curviness to the slide profile which is aesthetically pleasing, and the front third is reminiscent of pocket autos of the early 20th century."

Meh, .357 Sig anyone?
It's alright if you can't afford one.

10MM.... isn't that just a fancy name for a 40? Haha

9mm and or bear spray for me. And I hang out smack in the middle of the greatest concentration of grizzlies in the lower 48. I carry the 357 once in a while but it is a lot of extra weight. Not fond it. Black bears in NH? I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want bear protection, shoot what you can shoot accurately. Tough to be the accuracy of bear spray, kind of like a shotgun.

Black bears are not going to stalk you and the bulk of their diet are plants. So it probably won't charge you because you are near his food. Your only, very slight, worry is a sow with cubs.

For what it's worth, the odds of you pulling a gun successfully on a bear that you surprise is quite low. These encounters don't start from 100 feet away. It's more like 20 feet.
Stop it. People need a reason to buy 10mm

Meh, .357 Sig anyone?
Heck, 10mm has higher muzzle energy; Glock didn't make the slides particularly massive. And Coonan used to put 357 mag in a 1911.

Guess it's time to look at getting a 10mm. Not sure why other than this thread is making me want one now.
Yeah, this got me too. I'm going to get a utilitarian 10mm and also a 1911 in .45. Probably a M&P performance center 10mm (because sig's p320 xten doesn't have a safety).

That lucky gunner crap is deceiving. 10mm factory ammo lately has been sad and disappointing. It’s basically .40 in disguise. Whereas loading like the original load that made FBI agents cry. Was a 180 JHP at 1300 FPS.

Had an original, also. Miss mine.
The Delta Elite was always my #1 bucket list gun since I was a kid. The LGS that was walking distance from our place in the mountains always had one prominently featured in their display case. The store owner was very nice and totally tolerant of me stepping in every once in a while to ogle them.

I just found and ordered a spare original pebble grain grip. I'm a total dork for being so pumped to put it back in an OEM grip while preserving its original.

Back
Top Bottom