.357 vs 44 mag vs 10mm Bear gun

Surprised no one mentioned getting a BFG in 45-70...
@Yankee1956 Now you need to get a 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum revolver. That way you can mix things up and have something NOT fugly (glock) in your set. I plan to get a Super Redhawk in 44 Magnum at some point (thinking within the next year/12 months). It's been on my list for a while now. I already have a 357 Magnum revolver.

My pasture/land/hiking carry. G20. Will kill damn near anything if I could hit my target. I need more practice with it though.View attachment 721857
Loaded w/full house 220gr Underwood Flat Nose Hard Cast Boolits 10mm Auto 220gr. Flat Nose Black Cherry Coated Hard Cast Hunting Ammo
View attachment 721858

I have at least 20 or 30 miles hiking relatively rugged terrain with this rig and it holds up extremely well. It DOES shift and require adjustment once or twice every few miles, but it’s just simply twisting it back into a comfortable position.

ETA: Also works very well as a deterrent to meth heads and tweakers alike!
Have you encountered 2 legged varmin in the woods?

Only once. He was told he wouldn’t be going home if I saw him on my property again.

He brought a root tool to a gun fight (he was hunting ginseng root on my property).
No sh%t huh, ginseng poacher on your property. Is/was it posted?

Not posted. He knew where he was.

It’s VERY common around here, but he’s the only tweaker in the holler dumb enough to trespass here so far.

You wouldn’t mind, but the former owners grandson ensured me that there isn’t any ‘root’ left here…damn tweakers made off with it all already when his grandparents were too elderly to get out on their land anymore and the riffraff took full advantage.

My opinion is that the caliber won't matter. If something bad happens, it will happen very quickly. If you even have time to draw, you'll be shooting at a moving target while trying not to shoot your dog. Good luck with that.

My opinion is that the caliber won't matter. If something bad happens, it will happen very quickly. If you even have time to draw, you'll be shooting at a moving target while trying not to shoot your dog. Good luck with that.
So a Sig? That way even if the bear reaches you you'd still have a chance at shooting it when the gun hits the ground

Can't go wrong with a 44
iu

Out West I wouldn't choose just "any 200 grain bullet greater than 1000 fps". A lot of those are a little light for a pissed off Grizzly. I'd feel more comfortable in Ruger only 44 mag or 45 colt loads at a minimum. I've got a monster of a black bear that hangs around my yard at night scavenging whatever he can including the wild fruit that grows around the property. I don't think I would be able to take him out with a 9mm before he got me if he was charging at me. He's really scared of people though. If I yell at him he bolts into the woods. I came upon a black bear once with cubs up in a tree. She was pissed off, and that was as scared as I'd ever been in my life. When they're snarling and snapping at you and their hair is standing up, you don't feel like you've got the upper hand with a .357. Maybe you do, I don't know. Never had to use one.

I honestly think 10mm might be a good compromise for NH, even though thats not what I carry. I like that it has a lot of capacity, in case you encounter a zombie hoard of violent meth heads or coyotes, and its got some thump to it that might do alright on a pissed off black bear.

In Kentucky......though people probably post their land, they have ownership rights different from here, they don't have to post shit...........its not like MA,ME,VT,and NH........ where you can just walk on the land if not posted......private land is private land and fences make good neighbors.

People that walk on private land in most of the US tempt getting buckshot or 10mm Black Cherries thrown at them, and you'd better get the New England Kings rights not posted bullshit out of your head fast if you move to the majority of other states in the US.

Asking permission is the right and proper thing to show respect before you tread on anyone's property.

Last edited:
9mm, it's a fricken black bear, they are unlikely to hurt you. You are more than likely going to need to shoot a two legged perp while in the woods than having to shoot a bear. I have chased them of with nothing more than a crazy look in my eyes, the fact I was only wearing underwear may have helped too.

In most cases yes.....you are 100% correct and the bear is going to run.

There is always the get in between mother and cubs thing, you wandered into a bears kill, or maybe boo boo isn't feeling so afraid that day.

Tempting fate is just that........you can give them the crazy look in your eyes and hope. I'll take the Glock 20.

My pasture/land/hiking carry. G20. Will kill damn near anything if I could hit my target. I need more practice with it though.View attachment 721857
Loaded w/full house 220gr Underwood Flat Nose Hard Cast Boolits 10mm Auto 220gr. Flat Nose Black Cherry Coated Hard Cast Hunting Ammo
View attachment 721858

I have at least 20 or 30 miles hiking relatively rugged terrain with this rig and it holds up extremely well. It DOES shift and require adjustment once or twice every few miles, but it’s just simply twisting it back into a comfortable position.

ETA: Also works very well as a deterrent to meth heads and tweakers alike!
Might have missed it. What chest rig set up is that?

I just grabbed a G20 today.

Only once. He was told he wouldn’t be going home if I saw him on my property again.

He brought a root tool to a gun fight (he was hunting ginseng root on my property).
F-ing ginseng poachers. That stuff is worth some bucks, so if you have any on your property it's worth protecting and the kind of people who will trespass to poach it will be some serious shitbirds.

Might have missed it. What chest rig set up is that?

I just grabbed a G20 today.

Nice durable rig. I hike a lot through my property where there aren’t exactly trails and it holds up really well. Probably not quite as comfortable as leather, but way more cost effective and arguably just as durable (if not more?)

F-ing ginseng poachers. That stuff is worth some bucks, so if you have any on your property it's worth protecting and the kind of people who will trespass to poach it will be some serious shitbirds.
They’ll be holy birds if I catch them. I’m not f***ing around with these meth heads. If I have to disappear one or two of them to show the lot that I mean business, I will. I worked my balls off most of my life in conditions that most people would not deal with, and this property is what I have to show for all of it. Every last dollar I have is going into getting it to where I want it to be. I’m not about to let some low life think they have some kind of right to what’s on my property.

I still need to look into those cuddyback cameras or whatever they are called. It would be awesome to be able to get live feed of anything moving around back there…regardless of species, I’m genuinely curious. I walk my property line at least twice a week with Hank, but that might not be enough?

Nice durable rig. I hike a lot through my property where there aren’t exactly trails and it holds up really well. Probably not quite as comfortable as leather, but way more cost effective and arguably just as durable (if not more?)
I was hoping it would be the Mini Ninjer.

Unpopular opinion: 9mm +p+ bear load. Buffalo bore 9mm claims like 4ft of penetration.

I know you want an excuse to buy a Glock 20 or a pretty revolver though.

I ordered these this morning from Midway for my strolls in the woods View attachment 722150
I don't mean this to be condescending, but since you raised that you're new to large forested spaces: the dangers in NH are likely to be other people. I've come across black bear and moose, but the only times I've felt better for having a gun on me is coming across unfriendly or unpredictable people. Your "bear gun" is more likely used on someone that is willing to use violence to take your property or for people out of their mind on drugs.

Back
Top Bottom