• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 vs 44 mag vs 10mm Bear gun

Wow! I think I commented earlier in this thread that the bear would be on you before you know it, and this bears that out. And this was an ideal situation from a defensive standpoint. They saw the cubs, knew this was dangerous, that guy likely had his hand on his revolver before the charge, AND they had some water between them and the bear. You take away any of those factors and that bear is on the boat before anyone can shoot.

Wow! I think I commented earlier in this thread that the bear would be on you before you know it, and this bears that out. And this was an ideal situation from a defensive standpoint. They saw the cubs, knew this was dangerous, that guy likely had his hand on his revolver before the charge, AND they had some water between them and the bear. You take away any of those factors and that bear is on the boat before anyone can shoot.
Yup. And it can happen even faster. Like walking through the thick stuff in Alaska and literally tripping over a sleeping bear. If I recall the guide was well experienced and knew they were trouble like you said. He had already drawn his weapon before the bear came through the bushes. He says he put one in the water to scare her🤷‍♂️ Either way they all lived to tell The tale. fun stuff hunting grizzly country.

I feel like if I ever came across a bear in the woods, I'd be instantly f***ed. My dog is a marshmallow but would act like a tough guy, growl/bark at the bear, and get us both mauled to death with his big provoking mouth.

Like a drunk chick in a bar getting her boyfriend into a fight with a big ass Samoan dude who would have otherwise walked away......

Not sure if this has been posted before, this is why I, personally, would want enough rifle as well as handgun (for a backup) when hunting in areas with grizzlies.

Last edited:
What's everyone's opinion on a good handgun with bear stopping power? Up here in NH is only black bears and from what I've read they are timid, but what about if they encounter curious dogs? I frequently walk on my land with my pups and I'm not sure my ED 9mm carry would be optimal if faced with a situation of protecting myself and or my dogs. I was thinking about the 3 calibers I mentioned above. I like the G20 10mm but I have also never owned a wheel gun. For me 15+1 sounds like a better choice over 6? Yes I know there is speed loaders but I've never been in a high stress situation so I think it would be easier just mag dumping lol. Something I also read is any handgun cartridge over 200 gr and 1,000 fps will stop any bear.
Would like others opinions on this subject!

#1) The bullet should be a "Hard Cast" solid lead round Personally I like Buffalo Bore or Underwood

#2) When dealing with a wildlife threat; I personally would not want to have a malfunction and have to clear it.
A revolver is more reliable; and offers ammunition better for hunting/ protection from wildlife.

#2) Best of what calibers that you list is 44 Magnum
Followed by a 10MM "revolver"
Lastly 357 Magnum.

Despite which calibers are the most effective. like 44 Mag being the most effective.
FOR NH I would pick a S&W 686+, 327 or 627 (all of which are.357's)
Ammo wise I would pick
Buffalo Bore Heavy 357 Magnum Outdoorsman
which is rated at: 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)

Just so you understand or may be concerned, the folks at Glock do not recommend the use of lead, non-jacketed bullets in any of their products. The Gen 5's improved their rifling, to do better with lead. Previous Gen's have had issues with shooting non-jacketed lead rounds. Hence GLOCK does not recommend using non-jacketed rounds.
I would use this round if you are in the woods with a G20:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=249

Just so you understand or may be concerned, the folks at Glock do not recommend the use of lead, non-jacketed bullets in any of their products. The Gen 5's improved their rifling, to do better with lead. Previous Gen's have had issues with shooting non-jacketed lead rounds. Hence GLOCK does not recommend using non-jacketed rounds.
I would use this round if you are in the woods with a G20:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=249
To be honest I don't practice with hard cast rounds. I just basically load em and forget em and carry the G20 whenever I go out on a hike or with my pups in the woods. I did not think the hard cast would be a big deal especially if I'm not shooting hundreds of them. I did some research obviously before buying them and you get a lot of different opinions. Some say they've shot hundreds and never a problem as long as you religiously clean after every 100 rds or so. I could get a KKM barrel if I really wanted to do so I suppose but I don't practice nearly enough with the G20 (maybe once a month) to make it worth it for me personally. I'll pick up a box or 2 of those mono metal tho for safe keeping.

To be honest I don't practice with hard cast rounds. I just basically load em and forget em and carry the G20 whenever I go out on a hike or with my pups in the woods. I did not think the hard cast would be a big deal especially if I'm not shooting hundreds of them. I did some research obviously before buying them and you get a lot of different opinions. Some say they've shot hundreds and never a problem as long as you religiously clean after every 100 rds or so. I could get a KKM barrel if I really wanted to do so I suppose but I don't practice nearly enough with the G20 (maybe once a month) to make it worth it for me personally. I'll pick up a box or 2 of those mono metal tho for safe keeping.
If you have never shot Buffalo Bore Heavy Rounds like the one you bought and the one I listed.
I highly recommend you shoot a box full to see what you are dealing with. It definitely kicks more.

Why are we all so terrified of bear attacks in New England? Are we just looking for an excuse to carry a big ass pistol?

Honestly, I'm more a'scared of moose.

Every bear I've ever seen in the woods has been making tracks away from me, however moose will just look at you and stand their ground.

Why are we all so terrified of bear attacks in New England? Are we just looking for an excuse to carry a big ass pistol?

Every bear I've ever seen in the woods has been making tracks away from me, however moose will just look at you and stand their ground.
100% , I’ve been remote camping 30 plus years in northern Maine above Baxter and have never had a bad bear encounter. Moose on the other hand more than once.

This, I would be more afraid of two legged animals than bear.

On a rural road in NH I saw a huge moose once.

Such a beautiful animal; yet absolutely terrifying size wise.

I imagine even in a car you are not 100% SAFE, if a moose is in aggressive attack mood.

Last edited:
On a rural road in NH I saw a huge moose once.

Such a beautiful animal; yet absolutely terrifying size wise.

I imagine even in a car you are not 100% SAFE, if a moose is in aggressive attack mood.
Car and moose collisions can be very dangerous. It's hard to see them at night, because their body is up high and their legs are dark and thin. If you do hit them in a car, you might take out the legs and the body comes through the windshield.

#1) The bullet should be a "Hard Cast" solid lead round Personally I like Buffalo Bore or Underwood

#2) When dealing with a wildlife threat; I personally would not want to have a malfunction and have to clear it.
A revolver is more reliable; and offers ammunition better for hunting/ protection from wildlife.

#2) Best of what calibers that you list is 44 Magnum
Followed by a 10MM "revolver"
Lastly 357 Magnum.

Despite which calibers are the most effective. like 44 Mag being the most effective.
FOR NH I would pick a S&W 686+, 327 or 627 (all of which are.357's)
Ammo wise I would pick
Buffalo Bore Heavy 357 Magnum Outdoorsman
which is rated at: 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)
686+ with Buffalo Bore is what I carry in NH and ME when we are camping and hiking. We've kicked up sows with cubs a number of times. BTW We also carry bear spray.
-mike

Back
Top Bottom