.357 vs 44 mag vs 10mm Bear gun

One of the things I've recently picked up about this is that wide flat nose (WFN) hard cast bullets are preferred, and the wideness aspect is not preferred because of penetration per se, rather that the wide flat nose tends to track in a straight line through tissue once it enters the body, even when it has to smash through bone to do it. Your well-placed shot may lose effectiveness if it veers off course once inside the animal. I gather that some would argue that the bullet choice is more important than the differences between reasonably energetic cartridges: 9mm, 10mm, .357M, and .44M. I wouldn't know, personally. I'm just reporting what I've heard. I suppose semi-autos need to be well-tested with wide flat nose ammo. Revolvers will be good-to-go regardless of bullet shape, obviously.

Why are we all so terrified of bear attacks in New England? Are we just looking for an excuse to carry a big ass pistol?

Honestly, I'm more a'scared of moose.

Every bear I've ever seen in the woods has been making tracks away from me, however moose will just look at you and stand their ground.
Buddy of mine In Plymouth had one playing in his back yard. I saw the video.

Plus we’ve had several videos of them in Franklin.

Not scared, just not going to only let the bear, bear arms!!

ETA: Pic

IMG_3697.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s for P-Town bears silly…

Bull shit guy. You can hunt brown bear with the 40. Not if you want to have any salvageable meat though. There is often just a crater in the Earth left.
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Yup. People talk about how hunting is ‘cruel’ but Mother Nature is far more cruel. Many predators don’t kill their prey and then eat it. Instead, they just start eating.

I saw a video with an eagle on the back of an antelope literally ripping pieces of flesh out if it while the antelope just kept walking. I'm like lay down and roll over you dumbass.

Yup. People talk about how hunting is ‘cruel’ but Mother Nature is far more cruel. Many predators don’t kill their prey and then eat it. Instead, they just start eating.
Definately......I pheasant hunt and will see birds dead both wings open flat on the ground breast cleaned out of meat. Thats basically a hawk or owl that pinned a pheasant with its talons under both wings to the ground and just started pecking its breast meat out while it was alive the whole time.

My guess....that pheasant would have rather been killed with an ounce load of #6's from my shotgun instantly rather than endure that.

Back
Top Bottom