• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 vs 44 mag vs 10mm Bear gun

What's everyone's opinion on a good handgun with bear stopping power? Up here in NH is only black bears and from what I've read they are timid, but what about if they encounter curious dogs? I frequently walk on my land with my pups and I'm not sure my ED 9mm carry would be optimal if faced with a situation of protecting myself and or my dogs. I was thinking about the 3 calibers I mentioned above. I like the G20 10mm but I have also never owned a wheel gun. For me 15+1 sounds like a better choice over 6? Yes I know there is speed loaders but I've never been in a high stress situation so I think it would be easier just mag dumping lol. Something I also read is any handgun cartridge over 200 gr and 1,000 fps will stop any bear.
Would like others opinions on this subject!

If a Glock 20 is good enough for Arctic Circle Sirius Sled Patrols in Canada, Greenland, Norway, Finland, and Sweden as a polar bear deterrent, I am pretty sure you will be okay with it for Black Bear.
Funny you mentioned that, I also read Denmark sled patrols use 10mm for polar bears. Yup good enough for black bear!

My pasture/land/hiking carry. G20. Will kill damn near anything if I could hit my target. I need more practice with it though. image.jpg
Loaded w/full house 220gr Underwood Flat Nose Hard Cast Boolits 10mm Auto 220gr. Flat Nose Black Cherry Coated Hard Cast Hunting Ammo
image.jpg

I have at least 20 or 30 miles hiking relatively rugged terrain with this rig and it holds up extremely well. It DOES shift and require adjustment once or twice every few miles, but it’s just simply twisting it back into a comfortable position.

ETA: Also works very well as a deterrent to meth heads and tweakers alike!

Im with our resident Kentuckian. G20 10mm.

I carry the G20 woods walking......although I didn't know you could feed the Bears Black Cherries! I'll be getting some fruit from Underwood. :)

The only time I carry my wheelguns is when I'm hunting with the lever action in the same caliber.

I love revolvers. I really do. The last gun I bought was a S&W 327-TRR8, which wouldn't be a bad choice with the right ammo, but for carrying around outside all the time for defense against 4-legged things, I'd go with the Glock 20 over any revolver. I just wouldn't find any pleasure in shooting it recreationally. That would be a drawback, but I'd manage.

I'd say the 10mm. Just because I don't have one, have never had one, but want one and it's on my short list to buy.

For what I do have, is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC that with CorBon 300 or 350 grain bullets I feel comfortable to be able to stop any NH bear or Chevy. Plus I get to carry a cowboy gun, and it really makes my inner child happy to wear a six shooter. Unfortunately, the Blackhawk has the transfer bar instead of a hammer mounted firing pin, so I'm able to carry all 6 chamber loaded.

What's everyone's opinion on a good handgun with bear stopping power? Up here in NH is only black bears and from what I've read they are timid, but what about if they encounter curious dogs? I frequently walk on my land with my pups and I'm not sure my ED 9mm carry would be optimal if faced with a situation of protecting myself and or my dogs. I was thinking about the 3 calibers I mentioned above. I like the G20 10mm but I have also never owned a wheel gun. For me 15+1 sounds like a better choice over 6? Yes I know there is speed loaders but I've never been in a high stress situation so I think it would be easier just mag dumping lol. Something I also read is any handgun cartridge over 200 gr and 1,000 fps will stop any bear.
Would like others opinions on this subject!

You missed adding .40 as an option ;)

9mm, it's a fricken black bear, they are unlikely to hurt you. You are more than likely going to need to shoot a two legged perp while in the woods than having to shoot a bear. I have chased them off with nothing more than a crazy look in my eyes, the fact I was only wearing underwear may have helped too.

Last edited:
9mm. No need to complicated it.

But, if you must, anything else will be good ... 357, 44, 45, 10mm, 454, 480, 460, 45/70, 500, 50 AE ...

Get whatever you are comfortable carrying. A G20 is a lot to carry around for extended periods of hiking. A G29 is a little more compact if you want to stick with 10mm. It’s mostly a feel good thing anyway, as black bear attacks in NH are virtually non-existent as black bears run from humans. Only other larger animal is a moose and again moose attacks are extremely rare.

My first remote camping trip to the north Maine woods was in 1991 (North of Katahdin) and I’ve gone every year since sometime twice a year. Real remote stuff and I’ve never had a problem with a bear. So I ditched the boat Anchors long ago and now just slip my smith 340pd[357] in my pocket when fishing/Kayaking or the Glock 43x with BB deep penetrators when we’re on hikes. I sleep just fine. Grizzly county however and it’s a 44 mag. I like the 10mm and owned a few but it’s just not in the same league as the Dirty Harry.

Last edited:
9mm, it's a fricken black bear, they are unlikely to hurt you. You are more than likely going to need to shoot a two legged perp while in the woods than having to shoot a bear. I have chased them of with nothing more than a crazy look in my eyes, the fact I was only wearing underwear may have helped too.

I had a young black bear run up on me while I was pissing in the woods once, yelled at it to f*** off and kind of hopped towards it while I was pissing, dick in hand, bear must have been scarred for life. Realized after he took off that I had stepped off hiking trail to take a leak in the middle of a super active game trail lol all I had on me was a 5 shot .38, but even with that I wouldn't have felt under gunned for a 175-200ish lb black bear.

Back
Top Bottom