1/2 cocked

I wouldn't want to drop a 1911 in condition 2, or bang the hammer into something, especially while it's in a holster...

The half cock notch is a safety feature of the 1911 but it is not a safety position, i.e. you should never carry the pistol loaded with the hammer on the half cock notch. This is probably the most dangerous way to carry a 1911. If the hammer is struck a sharp blow, say you drop the pistol and it lands on the hammer, the gun will probably fire as the half cock notch and sear nose are rather fragile. I remember one guy who died from a self inflicted gun shot wound like this.

The inertia firing pin should never be long enough to reach from the hammer at rest to the primer, if it does you need some serious work on that pistol.

PS Condition two has been popular with some LE organizations. If you check out the compact Detonics Combat Master Mark IV, you will notice that the top rear of the slide has been milled down to expose the hammer. The word is that this mod was done at the request of a PD which intended to have their officers carry in condition two and wanted to make it as easy as possible to thumb cock the hammer.

for the record, I NEVER carry unless my weapon is in condition 1. I just heard about 1/2 cocked and wondered what it was thats all. I wasn't saying I wanted to or I do carry condition 2 or at 1/2 cock. Just a noob with a question!

Back
Top Bottom