• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cocked and Locked P938

I can't say for sure if they are different. What I do know is that you can not rack the slide on the P938 with the safety on and the hammer up. After the hammer is down, the safety can be put on and the slide is still able to be racked allowing someone to unload the gun with the safety on.

Sure does. Word of Mouth Leather in Livingston MT. Great guy. He has made four holster for us and a knife sheath. One of them is a chest carry for my 357.
just sent them an email asking if the could make one.
i indicated a few of us like that retention.
i'll post what they come back with.

I have a Bullard pocket holster for mine. I was carrying it once and the safety came off in my pocket. It did unnerve me and I never used that holster again. It was a bit soft. I have a Kusiak IWB holster for it and the leather is molded around the safety in the locked position. You really need to force it to disengage the safety when it’s holstered. I checked it periodically anyways when I carried it. I’ll probably start carrying it again this winter. Love the accuracy.

I have been carrying the Kimber version {micro 9) in condition 1 using a Kusak iwb tuckable holster. Rides at about 4 O'Clock. Never a single issue with the safety mechanics. The 6rd flush magazine option carried in the gun with 2 7rd magazines in iwb holders at 8 o'clock reduces printing under thin summer shirts. The method I use to unload from condition 1 is to rack the slide back so the chambered round is deposited in my hand then lock the slide back before releasing the magazine. I use 115gr Hornady XTP ammunition and find recoil quite controlled even with pinky finger unsupported.

I had a 238, loved it. Then got a 938 and had to send it back to Sig twice. Didn't trust it from then on & sold it. Decided around the same time to go AIWB and the 365 came out so went w/ that. With the advent of the 365 & competing subcompacts, I just don't see the appeal of the 938 anymore. Yeah, it's a good shooter, although not as great as the 238, but that doesn't really factor into my concealed carry decision. Couldn't bring myself to carrying the 938 AIWB but did pocket/ankle carry it quite a bit.

I had a 238, loved it. Then got a 938 and had to send it back to Sig twice. Didn't trust it from then on & sold it. Decided around the same time to go AIWB and the 365 came out so went w/ that. With the advent of the 365 & competing subcompacts, I just don't see the appeal of the 938 anymore. Yeah, it's a good shooter, although not as great as the 238, but that doesn't really factor into my concealed carry decision. Couldn't bring myself to carrying the 938 AIWB but did pocket/ankle carry it quite a bit.
just because I sometimes have problems with the pronouns game, did you have problems with and eventually sell the 938, or the 238?

just because I sometimes have problems with the pronouns game, did you have problems with and eventually sell the 938, or the 238?

Had problems w/ 938 & sold it (after Sig fixed it). Also sold the 238 because I just didn't want to deal w/ cocked & locked carry and also had a friend who wanted the gun.

The method I use to unload from condition 1 is to rack the slide back so the chambered round is deposited in my hand then lock the slide back before releasing the magazine. I use 115gr Hornady XTP ammunition and find recoil quite controlled even with pinky finger unsupported.
Why wouldn’t you just remove the magazine first?

Why wouldn’t you just remove the magazine first?
IIRC, you can't open the slide on that pistol without a magazine. Many folks use a spare mag for unloading the gun so they don't have to drop the mag, download and reinsert, then rack slide...

IIRC, you can't open the slide on that pistol without a magazine. Many folks use a spare mag for unloading the gun so they don't have to drop the mag, download and reinsert, then rack slide...
I don't think so, and I assume I'd remember because it would come up when I check the gun. Now I'll have to go look tonight.

I don't think so, and I assume I'd remember because it would come up when I check the gun. Now I'll have to go look tonight.
I thought I remembered somebody talking about "this one weird thing" recently. I've been wrong about more important things. Happy to be corrected if this brand new poster is just proudly telling us that he unloads in a suboptimal way just because it makes him feel cool.

That doesn’t sound right bro. If it is it’s some hinky weird shite for sure.

Because sometimes the top round in the magazine gets pulled off the stack in part or in whole. Maybe because I don't hold the release all the way down. But it seems like I do.
That sounds like a user issue as you intimated. If not then it’s a mag issue. I’ve yet to see a pistol that can’t be mag dropped before clearing the chamber. That would be a hard no for me before purchase.

Just my 2 cents here ansld I may catch hell from the nes peanut gallery.

A cocked and locked 1911 style handgun (I know this model lacks the grip safety) is probably "safer" than the myriad of striker fired handguns out there that don't have an external safety. A glock or m and p with no external safety can be discharged when holstering.....if there is clothing or other object in the holster. That's way less likely with a 1911 style sa handgun as long as you ensure the safety is engaged....holster the gun.....and don't f*** with it. As someone else has already stated it takes 2 distinct deliberate actions to fire that gun. Disengage the safety.... then press the trigger. You just need to get over the fact that the hammer is back. It's fine.
There is another plus associated with the 1911 design. When you holster, you keep your thumb on the exposed hammer. I keep it on the hammer's striking face.

If something causes the safeties to disengage, and the trigger to be pressed, your thumb will keep the hammer from dropping, thus preventing an unintended discharge.

I can rack the slide on my P238 with the safety on and no mag

No clue on the P938
I was hesitating to say it because I haven’t owned it for over 10yrs now, and memory gets fuzzy, but I had a 938 that also would rack the slide with no mag inserted and the safety in the up position to clear the chamber while remaining on safe.

I can rack the slide on my P238 with the safety on and no mag

No clue on the P938
To save money when practicing, I ordered an M&P 2.0 Compact 9 with thumb safety. It has the same manual of arms as my Colt Combat Commander .45.

It does differ in that the M&P allows the operator to move the slide while the thumb safety is engaged.

Shooting the M&P, I stopped taking the gun off safety when needing to manipulate the slide. When I went back to the .45, that caused problems. I'd try to rack the slide, and the safety would prevent that.

Now, even though it's not needed, I always take off the M&P thumb safety when I need to manipulate the slide to keep things consistent, then put the safety back on.

That doesn’t sound right bro. If it is it’s some hinky weird shite for sure.

That sounds like a user issue as you intimated. If not then it’s a mag issue. I’ve yet to see a pistol that can’t be mag dropped before clearing the chamber. That would be a hard no for me before purchase.
Don’t buy a Seecamp then…

To save money when practicing, I ordered an M&P 2.0 Compact 9 with thumb safety. It has the same manual of arms as my Colt Combat Commander .45.

It does differ in that the M&P allows the operator to move the slide while the thumb safety is engaged.

Shooting the M&P, I stopped taking the gun off safety when needing to manipulate the slide. When I went back to the .45, that caused problems. I'd try to rack the slide, and the safety would prevent that.

Now, even though it's not needed, I always take off the M&P thumb safety when I need to manipulate the slide to keep things consistent, then put the safety back on.
Why are you making things more complicated than the need to be?

I trust you would flick the imaginary saftey on a Glock to keep constant?

Why do you think those two are remotely close?

Get another 1911.

And you are aware 1911’s have a grip safety also?

Only fags carry a double action only auto with manual safety.

Chris, check out these two pocket carry holsters, they are serviceable, but as with all holsters, your results and likes may vary.

Vedder Pocket Locker

Desantis Superfly (or older version w/o the flap) M44BJR8ZO,

As you know most Desantis pocket holsters sometimes fit multiple guns, this one is widely advertised for the Kahr P380 etc.

Back
Top Bottom