• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cocked and Locked P938

(Yes, the half cock notch helps but I am not sure a 938 even has one, nor should it be relied on if it does)
It has a notch to keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin if it's knocked off fully cocked somehow, but it's not a "true" half-cock and shouldn't be used as one.

Had a thought (this is NOT revolutionary, but just occured to me)… w/ a da/sa/sao hammer fired sidearm, like a 1911, ever heard of people dropping one in the chamber (10+1)- then pulling the hammer on the draw?
You have no idea how a 1911 works do you?

That's nice, leather blocks the hammer, nice.
what holster is that looks to be perfect pocket holster. i assume there is no strap or something on the other side of that.
just a snap i assume
It is designed to have it go on a belt. Right hip. Also can set it up for a cross draw, putting it an angle on the left hip. The local leather guy in my town made it for me. He makes some nice stuff. I leave him my gun and let him work his magic.

It is designed to have it go on a belt. Right hip. Also can set it up for a cross draw, putting it an angle on the left hip. The local leather guy in my town made it for me. He makes some nice stuff. I leave him my gun and let him work his magic.
is it OWB?

now you tell me, i just looked 100s of holster on the internet, none had the leather like that to block the hammer, all seem to cover it with the hammer down.
does the guy making that holster still exist?

now you tell me, i just looked 100s of holster on the internet, none had the leather like that to block the hammer, all seem to cover it with the hammer down.
Sure does. Word of Mouth Leather in Livingston MT. Great guy. He has made four holster for us and a knife sheath. One of them is a chest carry for my 357.

Search for 'thumb break leather holster'. They are relatively uncommon compared to the endless array of tacticool Kydex and good ones aren't cheap. Whether they go under, or over the hammer will depend on the type of gun they're made for. 1911? Under. Double action revolver? Over.

Search for 'thumb break leather holster'. They are relatively uncommon compared to the endless array of tacticool Kydex and good ones aren't cheap. Whether they go under, or over the hammer will depend on the type of gun they're made for. 1911? Under. Double action revolver? Over.
Seems to depend on the maker.
Desantis looks to go over:
91-71dhn7fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00IVJV5LKView: https://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Thumb-Break-Holster-085BA37Z0/dp/B00IVJV5LK

Azula, under (barely):
91Ms9ETVhvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B07NBL3SVWView: https://www.amazon.com/Azula-Gun-Holsters-Leather-Pancake/dp/B07NBL3SVW

Yeesh... Not seen those. Thanks!

That DeSantis does not fill me with a sense of trust. That said, my personal experience with leather holsters isn't deep. I kept exactly one. I picked it because the leather over the trigger guard was double thickness and seemed more likely stay rigid as it wears. And my thumb break doesn't go under the striker. :p

I realized I had the type/size of gun that I have been looking for.
I have a Sig P938 somewhere in my safe, which is a 1911 style compact. uses either 6 or 7 rd single stack mags.
i normally dont carry but with the things going down its probably a good idea.

Anyhow I never carried it since i need to get over the cocked and locked mental block i have.
I know it has a trigger safety that blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.

I'm sure others also have the same issue of Cocked and Locked.

Any suggestions, hints, words of wisdom.
best way to carry?
With my body shape and size I'm thinking on a shoulder holster. i may have a sneak Pete holster for it as well.
keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are aiming at something you want to kill

Had a thought (this is NOT revolutionary, but just occured to me)… w/ a da/sa/sao hammer fired sidearm, like a 1911, ever heard of people dropping one in the chamber (10+1)- then pulling the hammer on the draw?
I'd say this is sort of unusual. On a 1911, not sure on how that would work, but on a Ruger P series DC, you can have one in the chamber, decocked, and then maybe cock the hammer after unhostering. Again, a bit unusual, and don't let it slip. I've done it, but just to try, and it is odd and feels unsafe.

I'd say this is sort of unusual. On a 1911, not sure on how that would work, but on a Ruger P series DC, you can have one in the chamber, decocked, and then maybe cock the hammer after unhostering. Again, a bit unusual, and don't let it slip. I've done it, but just to try, and it is odd and feels unsafe.
Not completely the same.....but similar in being a rifle......Henry rifles have no external safety. The loading procedure requires that the hammer be lowered by thumbing the hammer.....pull trigger and immediately release it.....then lower the hammer with your thumb. There is no other way to load a round in the chamber and carry the rifle. I do it all the time with my Henry 410 and Henry 357 before hitting the woods.

That said.....when I carry my 1911 it's cocked and locked because that's how it's designed to be carried.

Im not saying I "supprt" carrying a 1911 with a loaded chamber and hammer down......im just saying that lowering a hammer on a loaded chamber is not completely a "no no". There are many guns that it's part of the designed manual of arms.

Not recommended. Even if you avoid the very real issue that @Mesatchornug notes by racking the slide to strip the top round from a magazine and then toping off the magazine, there are other problems.

Putting it into that state (Condition 2) has some risks. Hammer slips from grasp and drops while trigger is pulled to 'set it up'. Yes, there are safe(r) methods (other thumb in front of hammer for one) to lower the hammer on a firearm without a decocker but the concern is doing this repeatedly leads to errors of familiarity. And, there are problems with cock on draw. First, it's a much more fine motor skill than dropping the safety which can be part of your first draw step of establishing of grip. 'Training' the cocking of hammer is where the accidents will be most likely to happen because would have to be part of your draw drills and see preceding where the risk of an ND increases. (Yes, the half cock notch helps but I am not sure a 938 even has one, nor should it be relied on if it does) Third, a slip up in a stress situation massively increases the risk of premature unaimed discharge during an actual draw for all of the preceding reasons. Don't.
I wasn’t planning on it, however was curious if possible. You’re absolutely correct about the increased chance of ND, and interesting about the extractor issues.
You have no idea how a 1911 works do you?
I do, and it’s probably my best shot. own a badass springfield garrison- never attempted though so thought it might have been possible by half racking. Clearly not a good idea though.
1698150246391.jpeg

Yea terrible ideal. When I was thinking of this, I was working on my 229- which is da/sa - so I thought it might be possible. Without question unsafe though.

Last edited:
I have a Sig p238, had it in a holster all day.

Took it out at the end of the day to notice the safety was off!! IWB holster (have many, can’t remember which one)

I was not pleased… no logical reason why it moved.

I have a Sig p238, had it in a holster all day.

Took it out at the end of the day to notice the safety was off!! IWB holster (have many, can’t remember which one)

I was not pleased… no logical reason why it moved.

But it didn't fire. I wouldn't have been pleased either, but I'm just saying that carrying it like that didn't immediately equal disaster.

That's why I suggested empty chamber and cocked and unlocked carry (using the 938 as a backup gun, because chamber empty is stupid) - if your hammer doesn't drop when the safety isn't engaged, you should feel better about carrying with the safety on. Anyway, that's what I did when I first started carrying my 1911.

For you P938 guys, here is a tip some of you may not know. The P938 requires the safety to be down to rack the slide and chamber a round, but it does not require the safety to be disengaged to rack the slide to unload the chamber. It's a little thing but it isn't intuitive and you might not know about it unless someone tells you. So consider yourself told.

I used to EDC IWB a full size Sig TacOps for years. Many times I’d find that the ambi-safety lever had been taken off safe from a fat roll on my side or something when sitting down or entering a vehicle. Still never had a worry like ‘OMG I almost killed myself!’ type thing. Safety was off for probably hours at a time and it was still GTG. I still have my fat roll so it didn’t get shot off.

For you P938 guys, here is a tip some of you may not know. The P938 requires the safety to be down to rack the slide and chamber a round, but it does not require the safety to be disengaged to rack the slide to unload the chamber. It's a little thing but it isn't intuitive and you might not know about it unless someone tells you. So consider yourself told.
A little confused, if there's around in the mag wouldn't it strip a round and load the chamber if the safety is on or does the safety somehow keep a round from being be stripped?

But it didn't fire. I wouldn't have been pleased either, but I'm just saying that carrying it like that didn't immediately equal disaster.

That's why I suggested empty chamber and cocked and unlocked carry (using the 938 as a backup gun, because chamber empty is stupid) - if your hammer doesn't drop when the safety isn't engaged, you should feel better about carrying with the safety on. Anyway, that's what I did when I first started carrying my 1911.
I was not concerned about it firing. I was just concerned it clicked off somehow. I wanted to know why.

With the exception of SAO guns (I have a ton), I prefer no manual safety’s at all.

A little confused, if there's around in the mag wouldn't it strip a round and load the chamber if the safety is on or does the safety somehow keep a round from being be stripped?
I think you may have misunderstood. You have to disable the safety when loading, but once you have engaged the safety again you can remove the magazine, rack the slide and clear the chamber without disengaging the safety. It makes unloading the gun much safer than unloading with the safety off.

I think you may have misunderstood. You have to disable the safety when loading, but once you have engaged the safety again you can remove the magazine, rack the slide and clear the chamber without disengaging the safety. It makes unloading the gun much safer than unloading with the safety off.
The safety on my P238 has no effect on the slide or loading. Is the 938 different?

My 1911, the safety physically blocks the slide from moving.

Back
Top Bottom