• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shadow 2 Compact vs Shadow 2?

Has anyone tried Shadow 2 Compact? How do you like it? Worth getting for range fun or Shadow 2 is a better choice?

Has anyone tried Shadow 2 Compact? How do you like it? Worth getting for range fun or Shadow 2 is a better choice?
so, look at it from this angle.

i have 2 S2s, just weighted one with no red dot optics - if has custom heavy grips, and it is 1388 grams with no magazine. i think with mag it will be twice more than that S2 compact.
but i wanted 2 heavy ass full metal longer barrel pistols and i have them. and i can tell, to shoot it from my left non-dominant hand is a bit of the challenge, as it is, well, heavy.

Mating of slide to the frame on those CZs is exceptional for the price those guns sell for. to get something superior you would need to look at alternative twice the price, i bet compact will work same well as the big S2. rapid fire and double taps probably will be a bit less simple, but not by a mile.
To have a lighter 870g gun with same almost great capabilities - it may have its benefits for those who are not comfortable handling a brick in their hands. and they give same 19 rounds capacity, that is kinda mute for MA, but, still.

so, look at it from this angle.

i have 2 S2s, just weighted one with no red dot optics - if has custom heavy grips, and it is 1388 grams with no magazine. i think with mag it will be twice more than that S2 compact.
but i wanted 2 heavy ass full metal longer barrel pistols and i have them. and i can tell, to shoot it from my left non-dominant hand is a bit of the challenge, as it is, well, heavy.

Mating of slide to the frame on those CZs is exceptional for the price those guns sell for. to get something superior you would need to look at alternative twice the price, i bet compact will work same well as the big S2. rapid fire and double taps probably will be a bit less simple, but not by a mile.
To have a lighter 870g gun with same almost great capabilities - it may have its benefits for those who are not comfortable handling a brick in their hands. and they give same 19 rounds capacity, that is kinda mute for MA, but, still.

So you think it would offer a similar experience? I noticed a few negative reviews on youtube... You don't think I will be missing much?

Mostly for range fun... I know it is heavy. That is the reason why I am considering compact.

It's not that heavy, a regular S2 is only marginally heavier than a full size 1911 is.

If you're not competing or dont have specific intent, you are better off with a full size gun 99 out of 100 times.

So you think it would offer a similar experience? I noticed a few negative reviews on youtube... You don't think I will be missing much?
you should go to any range that offers rentals and try a 1kg gun in your hand. shoot it off one hand - if your wrist is not complaining and you can keep it from dancing - i personally would go with a full size CZ. as of missing much - no. is it same - also no. does it all matter - it depends, as if for no true competition, like Mike said in post above - it is all mute, really, it will be a very nice decent gun and you will love it, i bet.

i personally dislike compacts, do not have g19s anymore as i prefer g17 and same with CZs. for EDC i have a sub-compact p365, but, it is not a range gun.

ps. and some people swear by compacts and love them more than fullsize. to each their own.

Last edited:
It's not that heavy, a regular S2 is only marginally heavier than a full size 1911 is.

If you're not competing or dont have specific intent, you are better off with a full size gun 99 out of 100 times.

So you would pick Shadow 2 over Shadow 2 Compact? Compact is about a Glock 19 size if I understand it correctly. I haven’t seen one in person yet.

you should go to any range that offers rentals and try a 1kg gun in your hand. shoot it off one hand - if your wrist is not complaining and you can keep it from dancing - i personally would go with a full size CZ. as of missing much - no. is it same - also no. does it all matter - it depends, as if for no true competition, like Mike said in post above - it is all mute, really, it will be a very nice decent gun and you will love it, i bet.

i personally dislike compacts, do not have g19s anymore as i prefer g17 and same with CZs. for EDC i have a sub-compact p365, but, it is not a range gun.

ps. and some people swear by compacts and love them more than fullsize. to each their own.

I prefer full size too. Just Shadow 2 heft seems very substantial.

Also thinking about p10f. Have you tried that one?

I love the balance of the full size S2.
I never felt like it was a heavy gun.

To me, it is all about balance. A well balanced gun won't feel heavy.

I am also strong like bull, so that might play into it.

I'm interested in the Shadow 2 Compact as well. I've seen good things on the tuber channels that have had time with it. I've carried both full size 1911's (wide body, so 14+ rounds in the mag) without issue. I've also carried the DE1911C without issue (all steel).

As for the post about the weight of the regular Shadow 2... Don't use commie measures in 'Merica!! :p

I’m not a big, strong person. I’ve got a Shadow 2. It is an awesome gun. If you just want it for range fun, get the full size. If you want to carry it, then get the compact.

I was thinking of OR. Blacks and blue according to CZ website? Are there any other colors?
you can look at price ladder for s2 clones. i have 2 blues - one cajunized, one left stock. i did try out orange, and, well, cajunized blue is better than stock orange, and to cajunize orange may feel a bit stupid considering price hike of an orange. like i feel much easier tinkering a $1200 thing than a $2200 thing.

then there is this:

and this:

with each price grade step up you get somewhat more of a refined product, but as with any top tier products - price increases exponentially while factual differences decrease at a same rate.

when you will decide upon what to buy - make sure to get one with the optics ready slide, as you can always keep it with stock irons, but, it is nice to have an option to mount any RMR compatible optics on it.

ps. my memory fails me now if TS2 gun uses same mags with S2 - i think it does not, as i had some reason not to get it and get a clone of same S2 i had, but, i can be wrong.

If you're really bouncing between shadow and p10, the middle ground would be p01/sp01...
Triggers on the p10's are nothing to write home about and in my experience not trivial to substantially improve, if you're going there you'd be better off with a canik, IMO.
P01/sp01 not great triggers either but still better than p10 but if you're picky about triggers probably puts you into shadow $'s to get there.
Personally I'm not impressed with the triggers on any of them without doing some work, up to and including the checkmate level stuff.
Subjective of course and depends on what you're doing with it I guess...

If you're really bouncing between shadow and p10, the middle ground would be p01/sp01...
Triggers on the p10's are nothing to write home about and in my experience not trivial to substantially improve, if you're going there you'd be better off with a canik, IMO.
P01/sp01 not great triggers either but still better than p10 but if you're picky about triggers probably puts you into shadow $'s to get there.
Personally I'm not impressed with the triggers on any of them without doing some work, up to and including the checkmate level stuff.
Subjective of course and depends on what you're doing with it I guess...

Most people prefer p10 triggers over Glock triggers...

I have the S2 Compact and a S2 orange (shoot in competition). The S2 compact is a perfect carry gun. It shoots great, and when you add a Lok grip it takes it to another level. The grip ergo for both is the same, and to me the same as the P10C. The stock trigger on the S2 compact (S2C) is better than the stock trigger on the P10 series. You have the additional benefit to make the S2C into a SAO trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Most people prefer p10 triggers over Glock triggers...
In all honesty is somebody who owns several of both they're not that much different the P10 is just a cleaner pull by default but that doesn't really mean anything anymore. Unless somebody is like sauced up over pure out of box experience. 🤣

In all honesty is somebody who owns several of both they're not that much different the P10 is just a cleaner pull by default but that doesn't really mean anything anymore. Unless somebody is like sauced up over pure out of box experience. 🤣
However you want to put it, the principal of operation of the sear/striker release mechanism is pretty much the same on glock and p10, just different mechanics to get there. Each use a ramp that the sear gets pushed back into to finish cocking the striker, while also moving down to release the striker, which is why either is difficult to improve to a substantial degree. The safety features are also implemented quite differently in each.

Other than the obvious polishing engagement surfaces and mucking with springs tensions, basically you need to alter the ramp angle and/or reduce the amount of engagement between the sear and striker. I haven't found a clean/easy way to make the sear engagement in either adjustable.
And I'd imagine all this is compromising reliability to some degree...

I have the S2 Compact and a S2 orange (shoot in competition). The S2 compact is a perfect carry gun. It shoots great, and when you add a Lok grip it takes it to another level. The grip ergo for both is the same, and to me the same as the P10C. The stock trigger on the S2 compact (S2C) is better than the stock trigger on the P10 series. You have the additional benefit to make the S2C into a SAO trigger.
Seems the s2 compact is basically a shadowfied p01...

Then I guess a 1911 is a bad idea for a carry gun? Everyone has their own comfort and experience levels when carrying.
i like the ability to simply pull trigger again if primer decides not to cooperate. to disable that feature on purpose makes little sense, if it already exists.

i like the ability to simply pull trigger again if primer decides not to cooperate. to disable that feature on purpose makes little sense, if it already exists.
There are folks who proclaim that double second-strike is an absolute must have ability for any defense gun; I think they are deluded and that double second-strike capability is, at best, a small minus.

If I get a Shadow 2 Compact, I will leave the DA as it is. With a spring kit from Cajun Custom, the DA trigger pull on my Shadow 2 is awesome and easily dealt with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom