• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Zero Hour Arms - moving on...

Pure speculation here, but I'm willing to bet that since the remodeling no doubt required a building permit, the building inspector pulled all sorts of shit about upgrading this, that and everything else that made the cost and aggravation just not worth it.

Best of luck Oleg. Do let us know what state you land in.

Hi Len!
Nope, honestly just as I stated, taxes, over regulation, EOPSS list but not THAT list, laws that contridict each other and seeing other stores suffering while we were remodeling.
Not worth fighting here as a small business.
Let you know where I end up
Oleg aka Alex

Pure speculation, but when you post your remodeling progress picture and all your bound books are lined up on the counter, I'm willing to bet something else was going on.

Best of luck Alex

View attachment 160494

Yes. As a responsible FFL I conduct a self audit two times a year. Once in January/February - after the busy Christmas/New Year season and once again August/September before hunting season/fall/Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years
Thank you,
Oleg aka Alex

I wouldn't go that far... the smarter shops are, for sure, doing OK, but most of it is what I call serious blood money... those guys in put a lot of work to make their shops work. Not that you don't have to do that anyways but in MA its particularly challenging when you can't sell like 60% of what people want walking through the door... not to mention the whole licensing as a barrier to entry problem.

Imagine some tinfoiler walking in your door because Obama is braying about guns and wants to drop like 5K in your store buying shit before whatever he thinks the next ban is thats coming, and you can't sell him a damned thing because he doesn't have the stupid license from the state... not even a round of ammo goes out that door, unless you get lucky and he comes back if/when he gets his license. This makes the pool of buyers in MA a lot smaller to start with. Running a gun shop is blood money (in terms of the amount of effort invested) but in MA it's that much harder.

-Mike

Thank you for giving an articulate picture of how difficult it really is to conduct business here in MA
Respectfully,
Oleg aka Alex

For those that have never tried to run/own a business in MA, it would boggle your mind the extra costs of doing business in MA.
I owned a retail type business on the North Shore for 5 years before I said enough. The business was profitable and was growing every single year, but you kind of get discouraged when at the end of the month you sit down and write the bills out and there is little left for the owner. Just a few examples that people don't understand:

Workers comp
Your portion of SS and Medicare (around 8% of payroll if I remember)
Business insurance
Liability insurance
Truck insurance (almost $4000 for a small box truck)
Unemployment insurance
State unemployment insurance fund
State health care fund
State under insured fund
State uninsured fund
Minimum corporation tax. Even if you lose money, you pay a minimum mandatory tax
Book keeping CPA and attorney fees
Health insurance
Rent - ridiculous MA rates
Utilities- ridiculous MA rates
Sow removal
Trash removal- cities and towns won't do trash removal for commercial businesses $500 a month

And a bunch more I can't remember.

Some months I didn't even get paid after taking care of my employees. I worked 6 days a week for almost 5 years.

IT AIN'T WORTH IT !

EXACTLY!! MA IS NOT SMALL BUSINESS FRIENDLY....nevermind the over regulations, one party anti-gun state "lawmakers", etc

fair enough. i think we're saying the same thing. market has changed -- is changing. people favor online shopping. however it seemed that you were saying it is somehow the fault of the people, being cheapskates, forcing small businesses to close. that is where i disagree.

i do find local businesses truly fascinating. since 2013 i know of 4 LGS that closed in NH. i think it's important to discuss why they're gone and what can be done about it. however i don't think it's as simple as people being cheapskates.

People being cheap couldn't be the cause in its entirety, but a change in buying habits is significant. People are far more informed as far as prices, both locally and online, and are using that to their advantage. My point is, beating up a business for every last cent has consequences. Long term viability, quality of inventory and employees ect ect...

In addition to that, as I've previously mentioned the quality of shop owner goes along way to. Many gun shop owners are not business men and are getting into it because they love the hobbie. That combined with a low cash flow can result in some pretty mediocre (at best) businesses.

Not saying any of this is the case with ZHA, as frankly I'll be out of the terrible commie hole as soon as I can too :). To ZHA, best of luck to you were ever you land.

Last edited:
...We live in a price driven era, were information is everywhere. Consumers are more and more driven by the lowest price, to which small to mid size brick and mortar stores cannot hope to compete. This is not exclusive to the firearms industry and is not local only.

There is no more room left in the overhead to account for people that know what they are talking about.... So we end up with a bunch of box stores like Walmart and Home depot with a bunch of morons working that wouldn't know a hammer from a screwdriver.

I ABHOR buying stuff online! I need to feel the cloth of clothing in my hand, or see the cut and drape. I like to hold a gun stock and see how it feels, which you cannot do online. It is this tactile sensation which one cannot replicate through online pictures or descriptions or "customer reviews" (which are dubious at best).

I did like the guys in there, always very personable unlike many other shops. But i wont miss the high prices, thats what kept me from making frequent trips there, just not worth it. Good luck out side the wall.

Online gun shopping continues as usual.
[laugh2]

Your just typing words, and not saying anything.

We live in a price driven era, were information is everywhere. Consumers are more and more driven by the lowest price, to which small to mid size brick and mortar stores cannot hope to compete. This is not exclusive to the firearms industry and is not localonly.

I never said anything about charity, I've only attempted to explain how and why local businesses charge what they do. You simply cannot change a business model with limited capital and expect to compete... As I've already laid out, markups in the gun industry suck as a whole. Please show me a shop owner pulling up in a Maserati with the profits from his gun store. They exist, but they are few and far between even on a national level.

Ultimately yes, it is your fault, and equally mine. At one point in time there was such a thing as a speciality store, that offered a specialty service. There is no more room left in the overhead to account for people that know what they are talking about.... So we end up with a bunch of box stores like Walmart and Home depot with a bunch of morons working that wouldn't know a hammer from a screwdriver.
$900 for a G17? Not thinking margin was a problem.

For those that have never tried to run/own a business in MA, it would boggle your mind the extra costs of doing business in MA.
I owned a retail type business on the North Shore for 5 years before I said enough. The business was profitable and was growing every single year, but you kind of get discouraged when at the end of the month you sit down and write the bills out and there is little left for the owner. Just a few examples that people don't understand:

Workers comp
Your portion of SS and Medicare (around 8% of payroll if I remember)
Business insurance
Liability insurance
Truck insurance (almost $4000 for a small box truck)
Unemployment insurance
State unemployment insurance fund
State health care fund
State under insured fund
State uninsured fund
Minimum corporation tax. Even if you lose money, you pay a minimum mandatory tax
Book keeping CPA and attorney fees
Health insurance
Rent - ridiculous MA rates
Utilities- ridiculous MA rates
Sow removal
Trash removal- cities and towns won't do trash removal for commercial businesses $500 a month

And a bunch more I can't remember.

Some months I didn't even get paid after taking care of my employees. I worked 6 days a week for almost 5 years.

IT AIN'T WORTH IT !

MA requires that you remove all pigs from your premises? I believe it.

Hey Alex, I emailed you a couple of times now, as you requested, regarding the giftcard I received just before ZHA closed. In the event you didn't receive them I also sent you a PM here on 3/17 and 4/5. I'm sure you're pre-occupied looking for a new spot, and I don't expect to be high priority, but it's been a month...

Please PM me here if we're experiencing some email issues.

Respectfully,
J

Did this ever get resolved?

My point is, beating up a business for every last cent has consequences. Long term viability, quality of inventory and employees ect ect...
The market is remarkably efficient at giving consumers what they want.

Some markets are price driven, and there are almost no local suppliers. A great example is high end digital cameras and lenses - it's very rare for a shop to carry the Cannon full frame DSLRs and a wide selection of "L" series lenses. The people who buy those know what they want, and tend to gravitate to the on-line places like B&H and Adorama that have made an art of providing low prices and fast shipping. You can argue all you want about how people "should" buy local to support the corner camera shop, however, when it comes down to it few people are interested in paying a few hundred extra to have someone show them the camera before they buy it.

Ditto with guns, however, the FFL requirement will mean there is always a niche for a transfer agent. Plus, you can't buy guns online for the same price Four Seasons or similar "high volume, not a hobby business" get them for.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is, beating up a business for every last cent has consequences. Long term viability, quality of inventory and employees ect ect...
The market is remarkably efficient at giving consumers what they want.

Some markets are price driven, and there are almost no local suppliers. A great example is high end digital cameras and lenses - it's very rare for a shop to carry the Cannon full frame DSLRs and a wide selection of "L" series lenses. The people who buy those know what they want, and tend to gravitate to the on-line places like B&H and Adorama that have made an art of providing low prices and fast shipping. You can argue all you want about how people "should" buy local to support the corner camera shop, however, when it comes down to it few people are interested in paying a few hundred extra to have someone show them the camera before they buy it.

Ditto with guns, however, the FFL requirement will mean there is always a niche for a transfer agent. Plus, you can't buy guns online for the same price Four Seasons or similar "high volume, not a hobby business" get them for.

Shops try to impose an excessive markup and, in doing so, drive people on-line. I commonly see powders that sell for about $125 for an 8lb jug advertised "in stock locally" for $200+. Even with hazmat, it still makes sense to order online and have it drop shipped to a friend in a free state, plus it gives you an excuse for a road trip to see that friend.

None of this explains why I can't go into a gun shop and buy basic AR15 parts: A decent stripped lower, decent LPK, spare bolts, fp's, pins, etc. Why is this so hard? You buy 1,000 roll pins at pennies on the dollar and sell them from $1 each and I still get them for less than shipping and you get me in your store. Carry a Spike's or Aero lower that is $80 online and sell it for $90: The difference gets you a markup, covers my shipping, and again gets me in your store. Seriously the places I go have horrible selection in guns and ammo yet both are stupidly over priced. Do you really think I am going to pay $25 for 50 rounds of some off brand 9mm??? Seriously?

None of this explains why I can't go into a gun shop and buy basic AR15 parts: A decent stripped lower, decent LPK, spare bolts, fp's, pins, etc. Why is this so hard? You buy 1,000 roll pins at pennies on the dollar and sell them from $1 each and I still get them for less than shipping and you get me in your store. Carry a Spike's or Aero lower that is $80 online and sell it for $90: The difference gets you a markup, covers my shipping, and again gets me in your store. Seriously the places I go have horrible selection in guns and ammo yet both are stupidly over priced. Do you really think I am going to pay $25 for 50 rounds of some off brand 9mm??? Seriously?

you haven't been to the right gun shop!!

None of this explains why I can't go into a gun shop and buy basic AR15 parts: A decent stripped lower, decent LPK, spare bolts, fp's, pins, etc. Why is this so hard? You buy 1,000 roll pins at pennies on the dollar and sell them from $1 each and I still get them for less than shipping and you get me in your store. Carry a Spike's or Aero lower that is $80 online and sell it for $90: The difference gets you a markup, covers my shipping, and again gets me in your store.

LOL you want some guy to make $10 on a lower? That's funny stuff. Problem is not that many people have like 30-50K just hanging around to build a wall of AR parts. And even if you do you're not going to let something like a lower go for like 12% over.... Even if the idea is to use a loss leader, there are much better things to do that on than a regulated part.

-Mike

LOL you want some guy to make $10 on a lower? That's funny stuff. Problem is not that many people have like 30-50K just hanging around to build a wall of AR parts. And even if you do you're not going to let something like a lower go for like 12% over.... Even if the idea is to use a loss leader, there are much better things to do that on than a regulated part.

-Mike

You forgot he wants the shipping to be part of the $10's. Screw the overhead like insurance, taxes, property rental/mortgage, and Employee pay.

You forgot he wants the shipping to be part of the $10's. Screw the overhead like insurance, taxes, property rental/mortgage, and Employee pay.

You don't read too good do you?

I was doing a price comparison: My price online plus shipping vs a sample price in store.

Decisions like this is why we have shithole shops and everyone shops online. If you need build parts you can't go to a local shop, you have to order a $2 part and pay $6 shipping.

Mike, it is not $30k in parts: 30 lowers is only $1800 and assorted pins and such is another k. I'm pretty ****ing good at accounting and I can do the math. I see the same shit sitting on the shelves every time I visit but you think it's a better idea not to stock stuff people will actually buy. Okay, got it.

Cabela's does it no problem but the mom & pop can't put $5k in parts on a wall?

Aside perhaps from Home Depot and a fly fishing shop, there are so many different parts and SKU's that it really doesn't make sense for a gun shop in MA to stock just AR parts and actually survive without any other significant revenue stream. Guns and Ammo are a small percentage of the consumer market in MA and specifically AR's and "black guns" are a smaller set, and then people that want to modify/build ARs are a smaller subset of that already tiny group.

In a less regulated state, perhaps, but you'll never get an AR specialty shop that satisfies consumers needs in MA unless you're doing it for charity...

You don't read too good do you?

I was doing a price comparison: My price online plus shipping vs a sample price in store.

Decisions like this is why we have shithole shops and everyone shops online. If you need build parts you can't go to a local shop, you have to order a $2 part and pay $6 shipping.

Mike, it is not $30k in parts: 30 lowers is only $1800 and assorted pins and such is another k. I'm pretty ****ing good at accounting and I can do the math. I see the same shit sitting on the shelves every time I visit but you think it's a better idea not to stock stuff people will actually buy. Okay, got it.

Cabela's does it no problem but the mom & pop can't put $5k in parts on a wall?

Sounds like you have a pretty good business plan there.

Where is your store and when are you opening?

Aside perhaps from Home Depot and a fly fishing shop, there are so many different parts and SKU's that it really doesn't make sense for a gun shop in MA to stock just AR parts and actually survive without any other significant revenue stream. Guns and Ammo are a small percentage of the consumer market in MA and specifically AR's and "black guns" are a smaller set, and then people that want to modify/build ARs are a smaller subset of that already tiny group.

In a less regulated state, perhaps, but you'll never get an AR specialty shop that satisfies consumers needs in MA unless you're doing it for charity...
I'm in a smaller subset of ar owners ! [smile]

Ephesian arms in fall river did do that (they did a lot of AR building on premises) and I got a few lost parts from them so I could finish a build or two. From what I hear that wasn't the cause of them closing...

BTW, anyone building a AR should buy a "spare pins/springs" kit just in case...

Said nothing in any post about a specialty shop. In fact, I was lamenting the fact that local shops seem to run themselves out of business, nothing more.

If I had the time and resources to front something like that, I actually enjoyed retail (I don't), and wanted to sell shit for a living, then I might actually do it. I worked in retail for a decade, running $3-20m businesses and I have a pretty good idea what it takes. That not me anymore: I enjoy my free time, regular sleep schedule, and having a life.

The point was to point out a business opportunity.

You want another idea? A Magpul kiosk at the Pheasant Lane Mall. Think about it: What is the top selling civilian firearm on the planet?

Last edited:
Ephesian arms in fall river did do that (they did a lot of AR building on premises) and I got a few lost parts from them so I could finish a build or two. From what I hear that wasn't the cause of them closing...

BTW, anyone building a AR should buy a "spare pins/springs" kit just in case...
Talk to Troy City Tactical, they should be setting up parts inventory by now.

And yes, it is incredibly expensive to stock up inventory.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom