You just got your LTC Now what?

TY43215

NES Member
Here is the scenario:

You just got your LTC and now you can legally own a firearm of some type. You had the Home Firearm Safety class for your LTC but you have done little or no shooting.

What do you do? You are uncomfortable about asking too many questions on an internet forum because you are damn sure someone will jump on your case but you have queastions.

Well here is is. Ask your questions and hopefully the mods will delete any smart ass comments.

Ask and there will be someone that will answer. I will do my best as will many others.

I will also offer this: You supply the ammo and I will supply range time. I have done this for a couple people already (They know who they are) I charge nothing so you get what you pay for [smile]

Your turn. Ask your questions. I will check this thread twice a day. Maybe some of the instructors and experienced shooters will help too.

Nice offer. More people on here need to help new people and not criticize them or sh!t on them for asking questions.

I commend you sir!

I will also offer this: You supply the ammo and I will supply range time. I have done this for a couple people already (They know who they are) I charge nothing so you get what you pay for [smile]

If you're closer to Shirley than the Cape, I'll offer the same thing. You bring the ammo, I'll bring the range.

I'm interested in learning more about AR type rifles. I'm planning on making a purchase real soon, but I've mostly been a handgun guy. Oh.....I'm in southern NH, but have a MA non-res LTC ALP. I may just do what I normally do, and hit the range and just practice. I'm pretty good at figuring things out on my own.

I never have been afraid to go first...

I grew up like most of the over 40 crew, outside in the woods with an air rifle, a fishing rod, bow, and I also did my fair share of trapping. I have had rimfire rifles and pistols on and off for my whole life. Several years ago before 1994 I allowed my LTC to expire.

I just applied for my LTC and want to get a center fire pistol. I have chossen a Sig 226 in .40 S&W. I have always done bulls eye shooting but I would like to try something new.

I am interested in action shooting, where should I start?

What do I need other than the gun?

I live in south of Worcester on 146 and want to join a club, which one would be amenable to the type of practice I would need for action shooting?

Hopkinton has an active USPSA contingent and practices most Wednesday nights.

Manville has events on the USPSA schedule also (we shot there last Sunday); check the thread on it in the Pistol Competition section.

Whatever gun you shoot, you need spare mags and a belt, holster and mag/speed loader carriers.

Eye and ear protection - GOOD eye and ear protection - are a must.

JPO,
There are also weekend events at the local clubs (singletary, uxbridge, etc.) - you do not have to be a member to compete and all are welcome....

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions....

Great post!! There are many people on this forum that are ready, willing and able to help. I know from personal experience. [smile]

It's like a family here. [wink]

I'm interested in learning more about AR type rifles. I'm planning on making a purchase real soon, but I've mostly been a handgun guy. Oh.....I'm in southern NH, but have a MA non-res LTC ALP. I may just do what I normally do, and hit the range and just practice. I'm pretty good at figuring things out on my own.

Come to the Tactical rifle match Saturday at Pioneer in Dunbarton. I can hook you up with someone there OR find the guys at Pelham. Great group.

I never have been afraid to go first...

I grew up like most of the over 40 crew, outside in the woods with an air rifle, a fishing rod, bow, and I also did my fair share of trapping. I have had rimfire rifles and pistols on and off for my whole life. Several years ago before 1994 I allowed my LTC to expire.

I just applied for my LTC and want to get a center fire pistol. I have chossen a Sig 226 in .40 S&W. I have always done bulls eye shooting but I would like to try something new.

I live in south of Worcester on 146 and want to join a club, which one would be amenable to the type of practice I would need for action shooting?

I shoot a Sig 226 in 357SIG. Scrivner's advice is good with regards to the Hopkington crew. IPSCDRL is not far from you and is a member there. Send him a PM and ask about Hopkington.

If you wish to take a ride to Sunny Cape Cod, send me an e mail. I have ammo and targets for you to try the Sig

Last edited:
I am a relatively new LTC but try to get out once a week for one to two hundred rounds on my snubby. If anyone heads out to Harvard, I'll take all the advice I can get.

I have done a lot with Snubby's and revolvers over the 30 some odd years I have shot. My best suggestion to you if you truly want to master the revolver is to save up and get one in 22LR before you have bad habits from the recoil set in your practice routine.

I have done a lot with Snubby's and revolvers over the 30 some odd years I have shot. My best suggestion to you if you truly want to master the revolver is to save up and get one in 22LR before you have bad habits from the recoil set in your practice routine.

Up until right now I'd never understood why anyone would ever buy a j-framed .22LR.

Until now. That suggestion makes loads of sense, RGS. Thanks.

First, thanks Round Gun Shooter..seems gun forums aren't always so newb friendly, so this is a great offer(thanks to anyone else who assists in here also)

I'm new to serious shooting and CC. I recently bought a Keltec PM-9 as a carry weapon and after much research, decided on several carry rigs. Currently the gun is back at Keltec because it had major fail to feed issues with every ammo I shot through it. As it turns out, this could have been my fault...Being new, I never realized grip can effect gun functioning. I did manage to get some advice and have been using the stronger grip on my available guns(MkIII 22/45, M&P9) but since I don't have the PM-9 back yet and I've never had an issue with the other two guns, I can't tell if my old grip was the problem(here's the thread if you'd like to read: link ) Anyway, I realized I have much to learn. Any help from or time with experinced shooters is appriciated.
Ok, here's some advice for new concealed carriers. If you are nervous about carring and staying concealed, do what I have done.....wear your rigs around with out the gun. Since I had to send the Kelteck back, I decided to "stuff" the holsters and wear them to get uesd to carring...This has turned out great, I easily figured out what's going to work and what ain't. Got my patterns and behaviors down, in & out of the safe, where the gun is going when I take it off or when I'm in the shower, etc.

Ok, here's some advice for new concealed carriers. If you are nervous about carring and staying concealed, do what I have done.....wear your rigs around with out the gun.

I would respectfully disagree with this advice. This type of regimen will get you the feel of the carrier but without the weight of the firearm, it is not a true feel of the carry.

The best way to learn concealed carry comfort is to research the holsters available and (unfortunately) buy and try. When you find something that works, stick with it. Plan to spend some money. Cheap is cheap and there is no way around it.

When carrying semi auto, I carry either a S&W M&P full size 40 or a Sig 226 IWB in a very concealable holster made by Lou Alessi with a good belt. It conceals under a loose Tee shirt. I have the same style holster for the M&P, the Sig, and a 2.5" S&W 66. It took me a long time to find the holster that was for me but now it is all I use.

The wait for an Alessi holster is about 6 to 8 months so make sure you are sticking with the firearm before you place the order.[wink]

www.uspsa.org (join the national organization) and www.uspsa-ne.org (local match schedule)

A belt mounted holster that covers the trigger guard; 4 spare magazines; belt mounted mag carriers; ear/eye protection; ammo; something to carry this around the match in;

www.hsasports.org (Hopkinton) - you need to talk to the president to get on his list of people can practice this sort of thing (not hard to do as he is one of us - this is a compromise ironed out years ago when the rules were updated), or www.harvardactionshooters.com (a bit of a hike, but you almost always can find a vacant range to use)

First, I would like to say that the outpouring of support to help new shooters is fantastic. The best way to get new shooters and keep them interested is to mentor and support them.

Another thing to consider is formal training and that there are any number of highly qualified firearms instructors who offer a wide variety of training. The training section of this forum has some very helpful information on upcoming classes and various instructors. Then too we have the Smith and Wesson Academy and the SigArms Academy both of which are internationally known as is the Lethal Force Institute.

Hats off to RGS and the others who have offered to provide assistance !

Mark L.

In western MASS, and I'll make that offer as well. You buy the ammo and I'll provide the weapons at Chicopee sportsmans club. I have a AR, AK, and a M-1. I also have some J-frames and a couple autoloaders in handguns.

JAY G "Up until right now I'd never understood why anyone would ever buy a j-framed .22LR." I have a 3 inch model 317 (airlight) 22LR with adjustable rear sights and I have the same pistol in 38 Special, a model 337 (TI) that serves as the home protection peice. Also I have a 2 inch model 317 in 22LR that serves as my training pistol for my carry gun 342 (TI) in 38 Special.

smitty

I would respectfully disagree with this advice. This type of regimen will get you the feel of the carrier but without the weight of the firearm, it is not a true feel of the carry.

I didn't think that would be a good idea either(empty holsters)...that is why I said "I stuffed" them....I taped together an old cell phone and large folding knife to approximate the size and weight of the PM-9....have it in my ankle rig as I type this ;)
I hope to have my gun back soon....I hate to run into a situation and accidently draw an old cell phone....

A couple of things... I am a member at Hopedale. Nice club! If you want to join there pm me and you can use me as a sponsor.

Also, I make it a mission to convert people from the dark side on a regular basis. next week I am taking 2 newbies to shoot skeet for the first time ever. As gold with a gun is far less threatening than punching holes in paper or bleach bottles around here.
They both have no previous gun experience. One was pretty anti 2A. Nothing like letting them shoot for themselves to change their opinion!!

Round Gun Shooter, Wow... Can't beat that kind of offer!

I put in for my LTC on 6/6/08 and I hope to have it by the 4th of July. I fired a Sig 9mm many years ago and really liked the way if fit my hand.

Rob,

I appriciate the feedback. I was in First Defence looking at the holster rigs, and I looked on line at various makers. Is there someone that sells a complete setup of Holster, mag carriers, and belt? or is this a piece together affair based on each person's personal preferences?

Is there a waiting list in Hopkington? I went there many years ago and took a walk around. Do I need a sponser?

Last edited:
Seanc,

I was a member of Hopedale in the early 90's. I used to take my kids there. Very nice facility, but limited. It is too bad they don't expand into the old Draper mill with a longer range!

You can't be shooting Skeet at Hopedale, so where else are you a member? and do they have IPSC there? I would like to keep my travel to cost less that 50 rounds of .40 S&W!

Rob,

I appriciate the feedback. I was in First Defence looking at the holster rigs, and I looked on line at various makers. Is there someone that sells a complete setup of Holster, mag carriers, and belt? or is this a piece together affair based on each person's personal preferences?

Is there a waiting list in Hopkington? I went there many years ago and took a walk around. Do I need a sponser?

If you are looking for Sig gear, I would suggest my friend Mike Benedict at www.Talontactical.com

His gear is good, his prices are fair, and his delivery is great. Tell him Gary from Cape Cod sent you. I try to spread the word on him and have done business with him for about 7 years now.

His gear is good for IDPA and for USPSA production. I would suggest four mag holders and a holster. That will give you what you need for either sport.

I use a Wilderness Instructor belt 1 1/2" for this gear and it works fine.

If you want to get into a double belt system for USPSA, I recommend CR Speed. I buy them from Chuck at www.shootersconnection.com/ Another great guy to deal with.

Again, if you are heading the the Cape at all this summer, send me an e mail. I have access to two ranges.

Gary

A big thumbs up for ROUND GUN SHOOTER!

He is a man of his word. I met Gary a couple of weeks a go and he trained me on my 38. He helped me with a lot of things they don't teach you in the classroom.

Thanks again RGS, your a great guy.[cheers]

RGS,

All terrific ideas and leads...

I have been doing a little research of Sig, and I am now questioning my own thoughts on what to buy. I am not a fan of plastic guns, and from what I have read about alloy framed guns they can burn up quickly from wear. My first purchase has to be a Jack of all Trades, and not a master of one...

It will be my first center fire pistol and being such, has to serve as home defence, CCW, bulls eye, and action shooting gun. And... I live in Ma, and want to buy new for under a grand.

Have I put too many limits on what I can buy?

i will also supply the range time for anyone in my area as long as they supply the ammo. i am currently teaching my grandson, daughter inlaw and my wife to shoot. i dont mind helping someone learn how to safely handle and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom