You just got your LTC Now what?

Is there someone out there in the Woburn area willing to do the same?I have less than a year with the license.But do have some good range time.Most of it from bits and pieces of advise.If not I would be willing to travel.

Here is the scenario:

You just got your LTC and now you can legally own a firearm of some type. You had the Home Firearm Safety class for your LTC but you have done little or no shooting.

What do you do? You are uncomfortable about asking too many questions on an internet forum because you are damn sure someone will jump on your case but you have queastions.

Well here is is. Ask your questions and hopefully the mods will delete any smart ass comments.

Ask and there will be someone that will answer. I will do my best as will many others.

I will also offer this: You supply the ammo and I will supply range time. I have done this for a couple people already (They know who they are) I charge nothing so you get what you pay for [smile]

Your turn. Ask your questions. I will check this thread twice a day. Maybe some of the instructors and experienced shooters will help too.

Hey RGS is this offer still good? If not, is there anyone else on the South Shore willing to extend a similar offer?

I'm sure he will still stand by what he said but he is on cape Cod. He helped me out and it is well worth the travel if you can. Bring the ammo, a decafe coffee for him and lots of questions.

Hi Ladies & Gents, I can offer some help or advice, I have access to an outdoor range I would be glad to offer some proffessional services to new shooters for free, dont have a selection of guns to use, but willing to give a lending hand... Located in the Worcester area... Sig Sauer Certified, NRA/MA State Police Certified firearms Instructor, just in case anyone wanted to know....

Last edited:
I am getting ready to purchase my first pistol. The LTC-B is in the mail. Canton...you know the drill....

Fortunately I have had the opportunity to shoot a fair gamut of pistols.

Revolvers:
Ruger Single Action .22
.38 snub nose 5 shot (not sure of the MFR)
Ruger .357 Magnum (not sure what Model)
Ruger .44 Magnum (not sure what Model)

I have also had the chance to fire a .22 Semi Auto, a couple of different 9mm Semi's and a .45 ACP. semi.

So, because I could only get the B I have been weighing what the best choice(s) for me might be.

I think I am fairly set on getting one semi auto, looking at a SW 1911PD, and one revolver. I spend a fair amount of time in the woods up in northern Maine each year camping/fishing, so I am inclined to get a large caliber revolver. I thought about trying to get the Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt with the 4" barrel, shooting regular loads mainly and using +p loads when I am on trips. I would have to try and do a little circumventing to get that, like have a LEO friend buy it and sell it to me. Or I could just go with the .44 and probably a longer barrel.

I wouldn't mind looking at other options for the semi auto, but the options appear to be pretty limited for us "B" guys.

Any recommendations would be helpful :)

Bass, you are restricted from carrying for personal protection for now, I'm not sure what the laws are up in Maine on carrying firearms on your person, I would call that states AG to find out... As far as revolvers go, buy the largest caliber you can shoot accurately, if you are looking at the Ruger family, GP100 with 4" barrels are great revolvers especially for hiking... just my .02 cents though....others might disagree...

The laws in Maine are much less restrictive about carrying a firearm on your person. As soon as I get myself settled I will be applying for an out of state carry permit for NH and Maine.

As far as not carrying for personal protection in MA, the firearms officer explained it to me differently when I applied for my permit. I was told that I could open carry in a "sporting activity" for the purpose of personal protection in a woodland setting. I am not sure that's right based on somethings I have read. I have some questions I have submitted based on that reading, so hopefully I can get clarified exactly what I am allowed to do before I do anything :)

On a Class B LTC, you are not allowed to carry for Personal protection at all... If you are on a pistol range With [sic] a valid LTC B, you are allowed to have it on your person while on the range. To & from the range, it must be un-loaded, in a hard plastic or metal container, if there are locked devices on the container, you do not need trigger lock or cable lock on the gun it's [sic] self. No locked devices or soft carry case there must be a trigger/or cable lock on the gun it's [sic] self... Ammo in a seperate [sic] container...

Utter crap.

There are TWO differences between an LTC/A and B:

1. ONLY an A allows possession of a "large capacity" handgun; and

2. ONLY an A allows concealed carry.

Open carry on a B is technically legal. It is begging for trouble and the revocation of the license on grounds of "unsuitability," but there is no violation of the statute, c. 140, s. 131:

A Class B license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) non-large capacity firearms and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of such firearm as the licensing authority deems proper; provided, however, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place; and provided further, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to possess a large capacity firearm

The assertions about transportation requirements are equally erroneous.

First, the references to " a trigger/or cable lock on the gun it's [sic] self" are complete drivel. Trigger and cable locks are useful ONLY for storage; they do NOT meet the requirements for transportation.

All handguns and "large capacity" long arms must be transported:

unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

Note the complete and utter absence of any requirement that the case be "a hard plastic or metal container." [rolleyes]

One must generally consult a dispatcher to get such ignorant assertions........ [slap]

I am getting ready to purchase my first pistol. The LTC-B is in the mail. Canton...you know the drill....

Fortunately I have had the opportunity to shoot a fair gamut of pistols.

Revolvers:
Ruger Single Action .22
.38 snub nose 5 shot (not sure of the MFR)
Ruger .357 Magnum (not sure what Model)
Ruger .44 Magnum (not sure what Model)

I have also had the chance to fire a .22 Semi Auto, a couple of different 9mm Semi's and a .45 ACP. semi.

So, because I could only get the B I have been weighing what the best choice(s) for me might be.

I think I am fairly set on getting one semi auto, looking at a SW 1911PD, and one revolver. I spend a fair amount of time in the woods up in northern Maine each year camping/fishing, so I am inclined to get a large caliber revolver. I thought about trying to get the Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt with the 4" barrel, shooting regular loads mainly and using +p loads when I am on trips. I would have to try and do a little circumventing to get that, like have a LEO friend buy it and sell it to me. Or I could just go with the .44 and probably a longer barrel.

I wouldn't mind looking at other options for the semi auto, but the options appear to be pretty limited for us "B" guys.

Any recommendations would be helpful :)

I will give the same advice I always do. Buy something in 22LR and a case of ammo. When you are comfortable with that firearm, have used up the case of ammo, and can hit what you are aiming at every time, look for something larger.

For something larger, why a Long Colt? Why not a 44mag? You can practice with 44special loads and you have the ability to use full mag loads if needed.

Now, being this is your first gun and you are looking to protect yourself in the woods, If you choose not to take my advice, please make THIS your next purchase after the gun. You will need them. [grin]

Last edited:
Agreed, and especially when that incorrect information comes from a LEO, nevermind from the Firearms Lt.

I would think most people would just believe what they were told by their town's Firearms Lt.. And that wouldn't necessarily help them when they were being arrested for a firearms crime.

As a person licensed to carry firearms in the Commonwealth, it is your responsibility to know the laws governing carry and use. Relying on opinion is a dangerous thing. Law Enforcement Officers need to know about many things and should not be expected to be an expert source in all of them.

if you asked me the question, I would have recommended you read the laws.[wink]

I will give the same advice I always do. Buy something in 22LR and a case of ammo. When you are comfortable with that firearm, have used up the case of ammo, and can hit what you are aiming at every time, look for something larger.

For something larger, why a Long Colt? Why not a 44mag? You can practice with 44special loads and you have the ability to use full mag loads if needed.

Now, being this is your first gun and you are looking to protect yourself in the woods, If you choose not to take my advice, please make THIS your next purchase after the gun. You will need them. [grin]

[laugh]

Thanks for the advice on the protection.

I am a noob licensee and a noob gun owner, but I am not a noob to shooting. I have been through safety training and spend days on the range over the last 15+ years on many occasions. I just never bothered to exercise the RKBA.

I am a pretty good shot for someone that only shoots a couple of times a year. When I took the course for my LTC, my instructor was commenting on it. I have shot more .22LR than I can count, plenty of 9mm, a fair amount of .38 special and .357, and then some .44 Mag and .45 ACP. Less than the others but enough to know what to expect.

As far as the revolver goes, it is probable that I will be going .44 mag. Why a long colt? You know how it is...opinions are like belly buttons....everyone has one. I read some very good arguments on the versatility of how the .45 colts can be loaded and how generally they are more pleasant to shoot than the .44s. Good man stopper (as opposed to man obliterator) and can be loaded to pack extra wallop. But either way...I am fairly sure I am past that.

I also have access to a few different .22 pistols if I waant to go play, both through my buddy that gave me the safety training and range time over the years and my brother who has a Walther semi-auto in .22

As a person licensed to carry firearms in the Commonwealth, it is your responsibility to know the laws governing carry and use. Relying on opinion is a dangerous thing. Law Enforcement Officers need to know about many things and should not be expected to be an expert source in all of them.

Yeah. Reading the laws is where it's at for sure! I wasn't asking the Lt. a question, though. What happened was that during my interview I was told that I didn't need a class A because of my stated needs for the permit. I was fairly well confused by this, and it showed It was even mistaken for anger on my behalf, when I was truly just not believing what I was told. That's why I bought the Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law, and have raised questions with the Lt. on this matter.

Is there someone out there in the Woburn area willing to do the same?I have less than a year with the license.But do have some good range time.Most of it from bits and pieces of advise.If not I would be willing to travel.

Scooter, PM sent.

I'd add doing 10 dry fires at home for every round of live fire at the range. I don't currently live up to this, but I've done enough to see that it's the true route to being really good.

Without a doubt EVERYONE with any sort of license NEED to read the laws pertaining to said license.

I'll offer up the same at Londonderry F&G or in Dunbarton, NH, or Manchester Firing Line (if you are paying the fees). My guns (or yours)/targets, your ammo.

Woburn area - looking for range time

Thanks Gents for the generous offers listed above.

I'm new to pistols in general and have what I would call minimum experience with them. I currently have a Class A Unrestricted permit, a new (to me) .38/357 and a pile of ammo I'm looking to turn into empty casings for reloads.

I'm starting my application process at my range of choice, HHRG in Haverhill but until I complete the requirements of the club, I'm without a range.

I'm looking for a couple things:
  • Range time as mentioned in the title - I'd like to try out IDPA type shooting but know I need to learn how to hit with the pistol effectively first.
  • Some sort of defense class - I was able to get my permit without taking a pistol specific class as I have had my FID for approx. 25 years. In that time I've used long guns of various types mostly shotguns for hunting and practice.

Having been bitten by the handgun bug I'm tempted to fill my safe and stock up on ammo but I know the best next purchase will be some sort of formal instruction/training.

So if anyone is willing to set up a day/time on the range and maybe give pointers to a pistol n00b, I'll buy the ammo and coffee/lunch. My schedule is kinda active now between work and hunting season. I happen to have relatively free days but the next project starts soon and I'll be traveling and working in the office.

PM's or emails are OK.

TIA - Sprocket

Last edited:
Thanks Gents for the generous offers listed above.

I'm new to pistols in general and have what I would call minimum experience with them. I currently have a Class A Unrestricted permit, a new (to me) .38/357 and a pile of ammo I'm looking to turn into empty casings for reloads.

I'm starting my application process at my range of choice, HHRG in Haverhill but until I complete the requirements of the club, I'm without a range.

I'm looking for a couple things:
  • Range time as mentioned in the title - I'd like to try out IDPA type shooting but know I need to learn how to hit with the pistol effectively first.
  • Some sort of defense class - I was able to get my permit without taking a pistol specific class as I have had my FID for approx. 25 years. In that time I've used long guns of various types mostly shotguns for hunting and practice.

Having been bitten by the handgun bug I'm tempted to fill my safe and stock up on ammo but I know the best next purchase will be some sort of formal instruction/training.

So if anyone is willing to set up a day/time on the range and maybe give pointers to a pistol n00b, I'll buy the ammo and coffee/lunch. My schedule is kinda active now between work and hunting season. I happen to have relatively free days but the next project starts soon and I'll be traveling and working in the office.

PM's or emails are OK.

TIA - Sprocket

I can give you a free intro to IDPA course but I am on Cape Cod

Sprocket, some friends and I are going to the range Sat 25 Oct 2008 at approx. 1200 hrs, if you are interested let me know. Range is in Worcester Area....

Back
Top Bottom