XD M Opinions?

So I am thinking of trading my SR9. I have the compact and love it but I never shoot my SR9 anymore. My friends have shot it more than me. I was thinking of trading it (well selling since I have a potential buyer and I get more for it this way) for an XDm. I had an XD subcompact awhile back but I wasn't very accurate with it's 3" barrel so I traded it (for the SR9 I think, lol). I was also much more of a noob at shooting lol, though I don't proclaim to an expert either, I am better than I was. I loved the trigger on the XD sub. I was thinking of getting the XDm 3.8 compact model in either 9mm or 45. Haven't decided on caliber yet.

Anyone have firsthand info on the new XD's?

I like the XD except for the fact that the grip safety annoys me in more than one way. You can't open the slide without depressing it.

Frankly I would stick with a 3rd or 4th gen Glock unless the gun doesn't really fit your hand. An XD would be something I would look at if I couldn't deal with a Glock for whatever bizarre reason.

-Mike

I had a XD45c and was thinking about moving to the XDm 3.8c in 9mm, I changed my mind after some issues with the grip safety not letting me rack the slide doing some failure drills, for a range gun I would be all over one as they are accurate. for a carry piece either get another gun or pin the grip safety

My friend out in Michigan has an XDm 3.8 in 9mm. It's very nice and shoots awesome. I would love to get one. He has multiple XD's, and he loves them all. I thought they shot very well.

I like the XD except for the fact that the grip safety annoys me in more than one way. You can't open the slide without depressing it.

Frankly I would stick with a 3rd or 4th gen Glock unless the gun doesn't really fit your hand. An XD would be something I would look at if I couldn't deal with a Glock for whatever bizarre reason.

-Mike
Grip safety preventing slide manipulation? Is that by design? If so, bizarre.

The XDm's are nice, I had a chance to shoot both the 9 and 45 while in TX for business. By far they come standard with the best sights as compared to Glock and M&P. However I agree with drgrant, unless you don't like the feel of a Glock then I wouldn't choose an XDm over a Glock. You could also look at the M&P line and drop an apex trigger into it.

That all said, variety is the spice of life and I would love to own an XDm.

Last edited:

-Mike

A Glock fits my hand fine except for the grip angle. I notice all my shots are off (high or low I don't remember) when compared to shooting my 1911 or SR9c.

can you rack the slide on a 1911 without depressing the grip safety?

Yes indeedy. You can't rack a 1911 if the safety is on, though.

The slide on my Smith & Wesson 1911PD Commander will not rack unless I have the grip safety depressed.

Either my 1911 is malfunctioning or this is by design.

The slide on my Smith & Wesson 1911PD Commander will not rack unless I have the grip safety depressed.

Either my 1911 is malfunctioning or this is by design.

Your S&W has an unusual Swartz-style firing pin safety that works differently from the vast majority of 1911s. Perhaps that is why it behaves differently than other 1911s.

Your S&W has an unusual Swartz-style firing pin safety that works differently from the vast majority of 1911s. Perhaps that is why it behaves differently than other 1911s.

Don't Kimber's also use that style of firing pin?

I've been wondering about these XDs myself lately. Was offered a full size 45 in trade for my g19. It's been bothering me since, because I don't know much about them, and would hate to trade a good gun for something I may not like down the road. I am intrigued by its size, as my g19 is a little snug in my banana hands.

I have an XD in 9. I like it, but I am in no way, shape or form very educated on handguns. It is the only one I actually own. My previous HG experience was only w/ a Ruger .22 and a 1911. I was much more accurate at first w/ the 1911 but as I learn the sight picture on the XD I have started shooting it pretty well IMO. I have a 32 round mag for it and that is very fun. (Sorry Martha I am in RI lol)

I have a 4.5 xdm and a 5.25 model. I really don,t understand the grip saftey thing just have your hand on the grip and it will run.I guess my hand tends to naturally be in the correct position.I shoot a lot of idpa,never had a failure would shoot uspsa but too lazy to drive 2 hours south I want to some day the 5.25 is very accurate,nice sights from the factory.you will want to do a trigger job for precision work.

I have a 4.5 xdm and a 5.25 model. I really don,t understand the grip saftey thing just have your hand on the grip and it will run.I guess my hand tends to naturally be in the correct position.I shoot a lot of idpa,never had a failure would shoot uspsa but too lazy to drive 2 hours south I want to some day the 5.25 is very accurate,nice sights from the factory.you will want to do a trigger job for precision work.

for IDPA they would be fine for a life or death scenario I would prefer to now have one more thing that could cause a problem. It really depends on what the intended use is. I mean I would love to own a 1911, but doubtful I would carry one

+1
I've done several classes and ran a couple thousand rounds through mine and did not realize the safety had to be off to work the slide until reading this thread. It's never been an issue for me, but YMMV. I was not wild about the trigger or grip so I did a powder river precision trigger job on mine and put on a pachmyer grip sleeve, and tritium sights and it is perfect for me.

Kimber II's also have a Swartz-style firing pin safety. Kimber I's do not.

Some special Kimbers are also Series 70. My 2004 anniversary Edition was Series 70. I believe guns like the Warrior or Desert Warrior are also Series 70. 95% of the garbage they make though has the swartz crap in it.

-Mike

I've been running a 4.5 .40 XDm for about two years, and have been carrying it since I got my LTC in MA. By far my favorite pistol, it's also the first I bought. I keep trying others, but I always prefer the XDm. It's also fun to have a handgun Martha doesn't want you to own; but, that's just a bonus if you like the pistol.

Then again I like .40's and don't shoot glocks all that well, so I'm like an NES outlier. To each his own.

I have an xd40 and absolutely love it. Had it for 4 yrs or so and have had zero issues with thousands of rounds thru it. Would love to step up to a XDm

Back
Top Bottom