• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions wanted

Twigg

NES Member
I'm looking to add to my collection of revolvers. I'm looking for opinions on the Taurus Raging Hunter, 44 mag, 5" barrel. No particular reason. What does the hive mind of NES say? Please don't say just "it's a POS" OR "it's great!" Tell me what you like or not like about it. Yes, I'm also considering the S & W, Just not at this time.

Last edited:
I always wanted a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 casull. I think I saw it in a magazine once, just a really cool looking gun. Years later I'm at sportsmen's den in Quincy, Ron has one and lets me handle it. He's on his computer while I'm doing a lockup test. With the hammer pulled all the way the cylinder moves a lot more than I would like, more than any other revolver I've ever held. I ask Ron, 'does this seem out of time to you?' and he doesn't even look up from the computer 'probably'. The finish was also really bad.

I've been wanting a Smith 69 because its the best model number.

No experience with Taurus so I’ll just say, “it’s POS, look at Ruger”

I'm looking to add to my collection of revolvers. I'm looking for opinions on the Taurus Raging Hunter, 44 mag, 5" barrel. No particular reason. What does the hive mind of NES say? Please don't say just "it's a POS" OR "it's great!" Tell me what you like or not like about it. Yes, I'm also considering the S & W, Just not at this time.
No way. They are sh*t. They feel like sh*t. I am pretty sure they made it their mission to have a worse trigger than SW or Ruger.

I would go with Ruger, SW ... if you want something common and nice.

If you want nicer, go with Magnum Research or DW. MR is as close to custom as you can get without it being custom and being affordable. Quality stuff.

Last edited:
Just the mention of Taurus here seems to get people wound up. I can't begin to imagine what the mention of a 40 cal Taurus would bring out. :D

Full disclosure, I have a Taurus 9mm that I purchased many years ago. It isn't THAT bad.

I have zero experience with their revolvers, so I won't call them a POS.

Years ago I had a M44 and it was an excellent revolver. It was huge and heavy, wish I never sold it.
Currently I have a 856 and a 4" 627 Tracker. Swapped out the springs to improve the DA.
No complaints so far but the track record is short.

Buy what you can afford. Asking something like this here will get you 100 different answers. Taurus quality can be questionable at best.
Buy what makes you happy is better.

If what you really want is not affordable today, save for a couple of months and buy it then. If you settle you will never appreciate it and will wish you had something else.

As someone who sold a bunch of their revolvers for a couple years....

-They all look cooler than what they are. Meaning, it looks cool, till you go to pick it up.... then you feel how shitty the F&F is.

-You have to accept it feeling like a piece of shit compared to its kinda less shitty Ruger and S&W counterparts. Even a properly fitted taurus revolver still feels like shit.

-You have to accept that it has two buttons (at least the 44 mag ones etc do) that you have to press to open the cylinder. This is f***ing weird and awkward as hell to
deal with (to me). your mileage may vary.

-You have to accept that, because taurus, you might end up with a perfectly OK revolver or one that fails or explodes after a month or less. You also have to accept that you might get a
decent trigger or one that is more to the marginal or poor side.

-You have to accept that basically, you will just bought a revolver that will have virtually no stored value. If you had to sell it for any reason, whoever the buyer is, whether its a shop or a privsale buyer, is going to cosby you hard on a Taurus product, because, well, its a taurus. And the entire point of Taurus is "its cheap" and most of their demo are hardcore skinflints. Those people arent playing the $100 rule. They're going to push much harder than that if they were buying a used taurus.

View: https://youtu.be/vftq9hNpvBc?t=17

Of course the happy fun ball here is the QC of even better companies like Ruger and S&W is also questionable these days. (EG, like S&Ws canted barrels etc). But my gut would tell me to go for a super redhawk or something long before I sullied myself into this level of doodoo.

As someone who sold a bunch of their revolvers for a couple years....

-They all look cooler than what they are. Meaning, it looks cool, till you go to pick it up.... then you feel how shitty the F&F is.

-You have to accept it feeling like a piece of shit compared to its kinda less shitty Ruger and S&W counterparts. Even a properly fitted taurus revolver still feels like shit.

-You have to accept that it has two buttons (at least the 44 mag ones etc do) that you have to press to open the cylinder. This is f***ing weird and awkward as hell to
deal with (to me). your mileage may vary.

-You have to accept that, because taurus, you might end up with a perfectly OK revolver or one that fails or explodes after a month or less. You also have to accept that you might get a
decent trigger or one that is more to the marginal or poor side.

-You have to accept that basically, you will just bought a revolver that will have virtually no stored value. If you had to sell it for any reason, whoever the buyer is, whether its a shop or a privsale buyer, is going to cosby you hard on a Taurus product, because, well, its a taurus. And the entire point of Taurus is "its cheap" and most of their demo are hardcore skinflints. Those people arent playing the $100 rule. They're going to push much harder than that if they were buying a used taurus.

View: https://youtu.be/vftq9hNpvBc?t=17

Of course the happy fun ball here is the QC of even better companies like Ruger and S&W is also questionable these days. (EG, like S&Ws canted barrels etc). But my gut would tell me to go for a super redhawk or something long before I sullied myself into this level of doodoo.

That's the level of detail I was looking for ! Thanks !

If you intend to put a scope or optic on it, then the Taurus Raging Hard On's will be fine, especially in .44 Mag. If there's no interest in an optic, then look at the 5 shot .44 they make, it's as close to the S&W 69 in size at half the price.

And if you reload you have full control over the power level. .44 Special is okay, but not everything requires full power .44 Mag and that sweet spot in between is achievable thru reloading.

I g
I always wanted a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 casull. I think I saw it in a magazine once, just a really cool looking gun. Years later I'm at sportsmen's den in Quincy, Ron has one and lets me handle it. He's on his computer while I'm doing a lockup test. With the hammer pulled all the way the cylinder moves a lot more than I would like, more than any other revolver I've ever held. I ask Ron, 'does this seem out of time to you?' and he doesn't even look up from the computer 'probably'. The finish was also really bad.

I've been wanting a Smith 69 because its the best model number.
I have a Smith model 69. I like it, but its best suited for ammo like Gold Dot, 44 special, traveling at 1100 fps in my opinion.

I g

I have a Smith model 69. I like it, but its best suited for ammo like Gold Dot, 44 special, traveling at 1100 fps in my opinion.

I'm a fan of the 360PD, the scandium 357. Nothing in 44 Mag will bother me except maybe the scandium .44, I think 329PD.

Back
Top Bottom