• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions wanted

Saw a guy at the club that had a Taurus 44 mag. First cylinder he fired thru it the front site flew off. He went for a second cylinder full and the gun completely locked up.

Taurus is bottom shelf crap. Period.
How many years ago was this?

I did some searching before posting and I see there are a lot of complaints about the Taurus .44 mag having cylinder problems, such as not locking properly, stuck cases, timing issues etc.
What was the year these complaints were posted?

Dude taurus revolvers are still often poop. They can't even stamp the serial number straight on the gun half the time.
Who cares how a serial number looks, I pay for a revolver, not a serial number.

The one thing that I will say I think is shit with Taurus revolvers currently is their black oxide finish; hideous looking and will be worn off after less than half a dozen cycles in a holster.

The matte stainless is far better.

And my point is Taurus 10 or 20 yes ago was by all accounts a high risk with awful quality a real possibility. That's not the same case today.

Now I will be testing that theory soon as I have a small Taurus wheelgun on order. Figured I should try a cheap one that interested me before I go deep into the .357/9mm combo revolver they make.

You have fun with that. If a commercial gun manufacturer can't even roll an SN straight, that's what we call.... a sign.
Working in manufacturing and knowing what Ruger was knowingly shipping out during the Sandy Hook panic of 2013, shit happens.

The hypocrisy is that one company does it and gets a pass, another does and it's never forgotten about for the next 50 yrs.

Now I'll wait for the 15 year old video of the rattlefire 24/7 or whatever the fukk it was to be posted like that fukking means anything in 2023.

Working in manufacturing and knowing what Ruger was knowingly shipping out during the Sandy Hook panic of 2013, shit happens.

The hypocrisy is that one company does it and gets a pass, another does and it's never forgotten about for the next 50 years
Probably because Taurus actually keeps doing it, with the exception of the G3/G3c they keep doubling down on the stupid.

Probably because Taurus actually keeps doing it, with the exception of the G3/G3c they keep doubling down on the stupid.
TX22 says otherwise.

Also, they've been selling a shit ton of 66 and 856 revolvers this year and I'm not seeing anything bad said about them (or any other Taurus revolver) on any other forums. In fact, the last thing I saw about Taurus wheelguns was the rimfire 942 this past weekend and it was almost universal praise with some thinking it's better money spent than on a Smith or Ruger at more than double the price.

I'm a fan of the 360PD, the scandium 357. Nothing in 44 Mag will bother me except maybe the scandium .44, I think 329PD.
I've had a 360 PD for a couple of years now. With .357 magnum loads its not close to the same thing as the Smith 69 with 44 magnum loads at all. Not to say you might not like it though.
I'm a fan of the 360PD, the scandium 357. Nothing in 44 Mag will bother me except maybe the scandium .44, I think 329PD.

TX22 says otherwise.

Also, they've been selling a shit ton of 66 and 856 revolvers this year and I'm not seeing anything bad said about them (or any other Taurus revolver) on any other forums. In fact, the last thing I saw about Taurus wheelguns was the rimfire 942 this past weekend and it was almost universal praise with some thinking it's better money spent than on a Smith or Ruger at more than double the price.
You mean the TX22 where the slide cracks? 🤣

It's a great gun for what it is but easily destroyed with any real volume.

Also 90% of Taurus buyers are price focused and will say they're great even if it sucks because their flint cred is more important than getting a good gun. So the bias is pretty heavy.

You mean the TX22 where the slide cracks? 🤣

It's a great gun for what it is but easily destroyed with any real volume.

Also 90% of Taurus buyers are price focused and will say they're great even if it sucks because their flint cred is more important than getting a good gun. So the bias is pretty heavy.
I'd wager a bet that most Taurus wheel gun buyers put 100 rounds a year thru them and think that's high volume shooting.....and are "happy" with their purchase. 😂

I'd wager a bet that most Taurus wheel gun buyers put 100 rounds a year thru them and think that's high volume shooting.....and are "happy" with their purchase. 😂
You're saying that owners who shoot more than 100 rds a year in their Taurus revolvers are unhappy with them?

I'ma put that to the test this weekend when I pick mine up and put 100 thru it on the first day.

You're saying that owners who shoot more than 100 rds a year in their Taurus revolvers are unhappy with them?

I'ma put that to the test this weekend when I pick mine up and put 100 thru it on the first day.
No I'm saying most Taurus owners only shoot 100 rounds a year....and they don't break.....so they are happy with them.

I'm sure there are a few folks who own Taurus revolvers and shoot them a fair amount and they don't break.....even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Taurus is a blind squirrel.

100 rounds on the first day.....do you think that's alot?

Last edited:
Taurus has as many haters as other companies do fan-bois. You'll never change the hearts.

I had great luck with the Taurus revolvers I've had, and shot them quite a bit more than 100 rounds a year. I sold them because I needed money and didn't need 6" barreled revolvers. I also had shit luck with S&W products, to the point now where I won't touch a S&W if it isn't at least 40 years old.

T-Unit - have fun with your new revolver, you're most likely gonna love it.
Twigg - look at Ruger - I've never had a problem with one.

Still kind of want to try a Curve. Not buy one, as I'm not a fan of .380, but I'd just like to see if it's as bad as everyone who's never held one says.

Who cares how a serial number looks, I pay for a revolver, not a serial number.

The one thing that I will say I think is shit with Taurus revolvers currently is their black oxide finish; hideous looking and will be worn off after less than half a dozen cycles in a holster.

The matte stainless is far better.

And my point is Taurus 10 or 20 yes ago was by all accounts a high risk with awful quality a real possibility. That's not the same case today.

Now I will be testing that theory soon as I have a small Taurus wheelgun on order. Figured I should try a cheap one that interested me before I go deep into the .357/9mm combo revolver they make.
If you were shooting 38...22... something lower pressure i can see cheaping out

But the heavy revolver rounds are pretty powerful... not sure why you'd want to go with a company that has a very questionable qc reputation when your fingers are on the line

Taurus has as many haters as other companies do fan-bois. You'll never change the hearts.

I had great luck with the Taurus revolvers I've had, and shot them quite a bit more than 100 rounds a year. I sold them because I needed money and didn't need 6" barreled revolvers. I also had shit luck with S&W products, to the point now where I won't touch a S&W if it isn't at least 40 years old.

Still kind of want to try a Curve. Not buy one, as I'm not a fan of .380, but I'd just like to see if it's as bad as everyone who's never held one says.

SW is not great. Everything Performance Center is junk, they add a rail or a different color barrel and charge $700 more. It is pure marketing. There is nothing "performance" in their Performance Center product. They don't even polish parts.

But, the difference is you can buy a SW revolver and replace every part, you can also find several gunsmiths or knowledgeable people that will work on them.

Good luck doing that with Taurus.

If Taurus sold a kit gun, like SW does, and there was a lot of after market support, I would say "buy the $300-500 gun, replace $250 worth if parts, do some polishing and you will have a great shooter". The problem is Taurus sells a kit gun with sh*t support. So you are stuck with a mediocre product. You might be able to polish it a bit and maybe change a spring.

As far as Ruger - their revolver triggers are horrible, even the Super GP100 that is supposed to be a competiton revolver has a horrible trigger (like pure sh*t trigger). The only trigger worst than a Ruger is a Taurus.

I liked the look of their other 380 the spectrum

But unless i got it for free i probably wouldn't buy one

If you were shooting 38...22... something lower pressure i can see cheaping out

But the heavy revolver rounds are pretty powerful... not sure why you'd want to go with a company that has a very questionable qc reputation when your fingers are on the line
You act like it's a guarantee within a few hundred rounds of .44 Mag that the Taurus will catastrophically fail based on some extremely rare worst case examples.

Trying to make the common issues that Taurus had being loose front sights and locked up cylinders and extrapolating that into believing blown up .44's will be just as frequent is nonsense.

SW is not great. Everything Performance Center is junk, they add a rail or a different color barrel and charge $700 more. It is pure marketing. There is nothing "performance" in their Performance Center product. They don't even polish parts.

But, the difference is you can buy a SW revolver and replace every part, you can also find several gunsmiths or knowledgeable people that will work on them.

Good luck doing that with Taurus.

If Taurus sold a kit gun, like SW does, and there was a lot of after market support, I would say "buy the $300-500 gun, replace $250 worth if parts, do some polishing and you will have a great shooter". The problem is Taurus sells a kit gun with sh*t support. So you are stuck with a mediocre product. You might be able to polish it a bit and maybe change a spring.

As far as Ruger - their revolver triggers are horrible, even the Super GP100 that is supposed to be a competiton revolver has a horrible trigger (like pure sh*t trigger). The only trigger worst than a Ruger is a Taurus.
Generally all that is needed to take an average revolver and improve it to above average is to change a few springs and polish some surfaces. You're thinking if any work is to be done to a revolver that the result has to be on the level of a competition gun that Jerry Miculek would be using.

And as for Ruger vs Taurus triggers, the Judge I have is as good as or better than every Ruger I have. In fact the worst trigger of any revolver I have that's not an H&R is a Ruger.

You act like it's a guarantee within a few hundred rounds of .44 Mag that the Taurus will catastrophically fail based on some extremely rare worst case examples.

Trying to make the common issues that Taurus had being loose front sights and locked up cylinders and extrapolating that into believing blown up .44's will be just as frequent is nonsense.
Is it though?

So shitty qc by them admittedly.. again its unlikely... but a 454 ruger and taurus are within spitting distance so why take the chance which is much higher

Generally all that is needed to take an average revolver and improve it to above average is to change a few springs and polish some surfaces. You're thinking if any work is to be done to a revolver that the result has to be on the level of a competition gun that Jerry Miculek would be using.

And as for Ruger vs Taurus triggers, the Judge I have is as good as or better than every Ruger I have. In fact the worst trigger of any revolver I have that's not an H&R is a Ruger.
Any gunplumber worth their salt will probably laugh at you if you ask them to do that to a Taurus.

Any gunplumber worth their salt will probably laugh at you if you ask them to do that to a Taurus.
I didn't say that people should be having their Taurus wheelguns smith'd, I'm saying even a drunk monkey can change springs and run a 1000 grit stone over a seer and make it better.

The fact that you own a .410 "judge" tells me all I need to know.

For the record....

I never said anything about a Taurus revolver catastrophically failing. That's not my concern.

I'm saying

In general.....you get what you pay for. Not always....but usually.

Taurus is a cheep revolver made in f***ing Brazil of all places. The chances of you paying cheep money on a 3rd world made gun and getting a lemon are WAY higher.....than if you you buy an American made revolver.

It is what it is.

Is it though?

So shitty qc by them admittedly.. again its unlikely... but a 454 ruger and taurus are within spitting distance so why take the chance which is much higher
Pfft, I remember a Hickok45 video years ago where he was shooting a Super Redhawk in .454 and the gun locked up on him.

Funny that's been memory holed by the fanboys. Had that been a Taurus it would be reposted ad nauseum across the internet.

The fact that you own a .410 "judge" tells me all I need to know.

For the record....

I never said anything about a Taurus revolver catastrophically failing. That's not my concern.

I'm saying

In general.....you get what you pay for. Not always....but usually.

Taurus is a cheep revolver made in f***ing Brazil of all places. The chances of you paying cheep money on a 3rd world made gun and getting a lemon are WAY higher.....than if you you buy an American made revolver.

It is what it is.
Me owning a Judge tells you jack, you just jelly.

If the only argument you can make as to why Taurus is bad is "MURICA!" you've repeated every talking point in a Taurus forum topic for the past 20 years.

Bring something new to the table, wacko.

If you like the look of the raging hunter (odd name) get a full lug .44 from S&W. Performance center competitor (admittedly also an odd name) comes to mind. Mainly because it’s upstairs and it’s just friggin sexy.
Lockup is tight, trigger is awesome in both SA and DA, plus it has weights you can add or remove depending on how much wrist action you like.
82DB9D3D-6F74-4654-92C9-657FA82D630D.jpeg

A friend got me hooked on .44 to the extent that I reload it in my friggin apartment. It leads to other indiscretions. Gratuitous range pic!
B84EC3A3-B8BD-482C-B042-D082E6AFF816.jpeg

Me owning a Judge tells you jack, you just jelly.

If the only argument you can make as to why Taurus is bad is "MURICA!" you've repeated every talking point in a Taurus forum topic for the past 20 years.

Bring something new to the table, wacko.
I never used the word "murica"

I'd buy a German car.

I'd buy an Italian over under shotgun.

I'd buy a watch made in swizerland.

I would not buy a gun made in brazil.

As far as owning a "judge" .410.....no I'm not jealous. I wouldn't even buy the s and w governor version. Only gun I ever traded in my life was a 410 Henry lever action. Nicely made gun no complaints about the reliability or craftsmanship. It was that a f***ing 410 was tough to kill squirrels and rabbits with from a 20 inch barrel.....so 410 in a 5 or 6 barrel? No thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom