XD M Opinions?

for IDPA they would be fine for a life or death scenario I would prefer to now have one more thing that could cause a problem. It really depends on what the intended use is. I mean I would love to own a 1911, but doubtful I would carry one

I've been shooting 1911s for about 20 years. I've got tens of thousands of rounds through them -- informal shooting on the range, IDPA matches, USPSA matches, training classes, etc.

1911s certainly do have faults and I can understand someone not wanting to carry one for several reasons, including size, capacity, manual safety, propensity for feed failures. But because of the grip safety? That I don't understand. I've never had a problem with one, and unless you've got a Swartz-style gun, I don't think they are prone to wear or failure.

I've been shooting 1911s for about 20 years. I've got tens of thousands of rounds through them -- informal shooting on the range, IDPA matches, USPSA matches, training classes, etc.

1911s certainly do have faults and I can understand someone not wanting to carry one for several reasons, including size, capacity, manual safety, propensity for feed failures. But because of the grip safety? That I don't understand. I've never had a problem with one, and unless you've got a Swartz-style gun, I don't think they are prone to wear or failure.

not because of the grip safety alone but all the other reasons you mention, and the biggest reason $$$ it cost too much money to have a reliable gun and if heaven forbid I need to use it I would rather be out $500 for a Glock than $2k for a 1911. There was a first hand account where the guy got shot and he couldn't get off a second shot because he couldn't hold the grip safety down completely he thought he had a misfire and racked the slide, time lost.

not because of the grip safety alone but all the other reasons you mention, and the biggest reason $$$ it cost too much money to have a reliable gun and if heaven forbid I need to use it I would rather be out $500 for a Glock than $2k for a 1911. There was a first hand account where the guy got shot and he couldn't get off a second shot because he couldn't hold the grip safety down completely he thought he had a misfire and racked the slide, time lost.

1) I've got 7 1911s. I don't have $2k into any of them, not even my Wilson Combat. You can get a Ruger SR1911 for ~$700 and you're done. That $500 Glock will probably need new sights ($50-$100). The Glock is still cheaper, but the difference is nowhere near what you are claiming it is. Stop exaggerating as it doesn't help make your point.

2) I've put tens of thousands of rounds through 1911s. I've never had one not fire due to the grip safety. If you had some actual experience like that, I might understand it.

3) If a 1911 didn't have a grip safety (or had the grip safety pinned), would carry one? I'm guessing not, in which case your argument is pretty pointless.

I haven't shot an XD or XDm, so I have no idea whether I would like one or not. But the fact that they have a grip safety would not make me decide not to carry one. I don't understand why they designed it to not be able to cycle the slide unless the grip safety is depressed, but I don't think that would be a killer for me.

I do have Glocks and I do carry them. They are decent guns.

Last edited:
1) I've got 7 1911s. I don't have $2k into any of them, not even my Wilson Combat. You can get a Ruger SR1911 for ~$700 and you're done. That $500 Glock will probably need new sights ($50-$100). The Glock is still cheaper, but the difference is nowhere near what you are claiming it is. Stop exaggerating as it doesn't help make your point.

2) I've put tens of thousands of rounds through 1911s. I've never had one not fire due to the grip safety. If you had some actual experience like that, I might understand it.

3) If a 1911 didn't have a grip safety (or had the grip safety pinned), would carry one? I'm guessing not, in which case your argument is pretty pointless.
have you ever had a failure to feed with a 1911? or are all you 1911s 100% reliable with all ammo, again my choice is to not spend $$ on a 1911 when I can get a glock or other for far less add to that a glock 19 will carry 15 rounds or an M&P will carry 17 I would take one of those over a comparably sized 1911, factor in the weight etc... and the 1911 is no longer a carry option for me. Carry what you want, I'll carry what I want. If the Grip safety isn't an issue why did JMB not include one on the Hi-Power? Why do so many people pin them?

+1

I will add that as someone who, with relative ease, made one of the worst 1911's ever made (West Hurley AO) into a 1911 that will eat anything JHP or ball, my opinion is that feed problems on 1911s are quite overhyped. Angle, polish, feed ramp/barrel ramp gap.

have you ever had a failure to feed with a 1911? or are all you 1911s 100% reliable with all ammo, again my choice is to not spend $$ on a 1911 when I can get a glock or other for far less add to that a glock 19 will carry 15 rounds or an M&P will carry 17 I would take one of those over a comparably sized 1911, factor in the weight etc... and the 1911 is no longer a carry option for me.

This is what I wrote above:

1911s certainly do have faults and I can understand someone not wanting to carry one for several reasons, including size, capacity, manual safety, propensity for feed failures.

Carry what you want, I'll carry what I want.
Indeed.

If the Grip safety isn't an issue why did JMB not include one on the Hi-Power? Why do so many people pin them?
The 1911 has a grip safety because the US Army required it. I don't think it is necessary, but I certainly don't think it is an issue. As for "so many people pin them," I don't know a single person who has pinned a 1911 grip safety. While some people do, I believe it is actually uncommon for someone to do so. Modern 1911 grip safeties are so large that I don't see how you could grip the gun without depressing them:

563-1.JPG

Have you fired a 1911 or XDm and had a problem not depressing a grip safety?

As for the Browning Hi-Power, J.M. Browning didn't complete that design -- Dieudonné Saive completed it. It doesn't have a grip safety because the Hi-Power was designed for the French military and they didn't require it. They did, however, require a magazine safety, so the Hi-Power has one. I suspect that J.M. Browning thought that neither a grip safety nor a magazine safety were required on either gun, but the respective militaries insisted on them.

snip
Have you fired a 1911 or XDm and had a problem not depressing a grip safety?

As for the Browning Hi-Power, J.M. Browning didn't complete that design -- Dieudonné Saive completed it. It doesn't have a grip safety because the Hi-Power was designed for the French military and they didn't require it. They did, however, require a magazine safety, so the Hi-Power has one. I suspect that J.M. Browning thought that neither a grip safety nor a magazine safety were required on either gun, but the respective militaries insisted on them.
Never had a problem firing my XD, did have an issue once trying to rack the slide doing a failure drill didn't have the right grip and it was quickly resolved but I still had to pause a fraction of a second. I loved my XD but I try to limit failure points and the grip safety was one. I could pin it or get a gun without one. I would love a 1911 but again it won't be my carry piece and it isn't just because of the grip safety but the weight, the capacity, cost etc... The 9mm CCO that Lou from BEC made is my dream 1911 , I also wouldn't carry a Sig, an HK, Beretta etc for the some of the same reasons doesn't mean they are not good weapons just not my choice. You 1911 guys are worse than Glock guys when it comes to getting butthurt because your favorite firearm is not someone else's.

I have an XD9, XD9sc, and an XD45 - have thousands of rounds through them and the only time I even think about the grip safety is when someone who (usually) doesn't own one complains about it. [laugh] Same with the "high bore axis". [rolleyes]

I have the xdm 3.8 in 45. Its a great little gun. Carries like a glock 19.

Yeah little higher bore axis if your a glock shooter but if your not its not an issue.

As for the grip safety non issue.

Night sights can be a pain to install with these guns. Its the only gun ive ever had to send out to get them done

I wouldnt pay ma prices for it but its a great little gun. Id prefer a better trigger and American made but until we see a ruger sr 45c. The xdm is what i carry alot, or the 30 sf.

Last edited:
I would love to get my hands on a nice XDm in 9mm and the XDs. The grip safety is strange but won't prevent me from buying one. 2013 will definitely hold at least one Springfield for me and hopefully more. I lurked on the XDtalk for a little while and it seemed like the XDm delivers.

Sent from my POS iPhone

Back
Top Bottom