• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife's 1st Time/Need .22LR Pistol Recommendation

Dont be fooled
your wife have LTC?
let her decide and rent as many as possible.
also dont assume smaller is better for women.
My wife shoots the 1911 45acp so much better than the small frame and cal handguns, CZ82,SW 39, chief , and such.

For 22
The SW 41 with target grips is the most accurate in her hands
She likes the Ruger MKIII hunter better.

I wish S&W still made the Model 63 5-inch. It was an all stainless .ssLR revolver based on a J frame with a 5 inch barrel. Very pleasant to shoot.

Much lighter than the 617, so people who could not handle the weight of the 617 had a decent .22LR target revolver alternative.

Wait, stainless steel is MUCH lighter than something else? Why are they not making these out of aluminum or alloy (S&W "Scandium")? Then, we'd be talking light.

Wait, stainless steel is MUCH lighter than something else? Why are they not making these out of aluminum or alloy (S&W "Scandium")? Then, we'd be talking light.

The 63 is much lighter than the 617 (they are both stainless steel)

Model 617, 4" barrel, 10 shot = 39oz
Model 63, 3" barrel, 8 shot = 24.8oz
Model 317, 3" barrel, 8 shot = 11.7oz

They do make a aluminum alloy model 317, but it's a 3" model. (kinda pricey too) S&W 317

Last edited:
What makes it so much lighter? Are there other differences between 317 and 617? Do they make the alloy in a 5" or 6"?

What makes it so much lighter? Are there other differences between 317 and 617? Do they make the alloy in a 5" or 6"?

617 & 63 are stainless steel Revolvers (thus heavier)
317 has a aluminum alloy frame (thus lighter)
617 is a "K" frame (larger frame)
63 & 317 are "J" frame (smaller frame)
The model 317 (aluminum alloy frame) only comes in a 3" barrel currently.

Sooooo, is there an aluminum, small "J" frame, 4,5,6" barrel coming? I feel like the 317 is not a new model. You'd think there would be a big demand for that.

Sooooo, is there an aluminum, small "J" frame, 4,5,6" barrel coming? I feel like the 317 is not a new model. You'd think there would be a big demand for that.

Fingers crossed. I would love to see a longer barrel available on the 317. (not holding my breath though. It's not a huge seller, due to cost $$$)

There is another option but it's also a 3 inch and slightly heavier 17.3oz (but it's less expensive) I really like this one also based on trigger and price point

RUGER LCRx .22LR 8-shot 17.3oz Mass Approved Model #5435 List price $579 (usually in the $460-$500 range cash)

I have a very light .22 semiauto. Scandium and/of aluminum mostly, i forget which, but really light. got it for hiking. Not very accurate...because....not much mass.

OK, I just found this, 24 oz, with 4.2" barrel:

72242 .22 LR Target Pathfinder with 4.2" Barrel
72242_large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom