Wife's 1st Time/Need .22LR Pistol Recommendation

Took my wife to Granite State today for her very first time shooting. Looks like I've created another shooter.

She did well with the Shield 9mm, but asked if there was anything with less power she could use to build her fundamentals before she steps back up to the 9mm.

This puts me in the market for a semiautomatic pistol in .22LR. I've never looked into this caliber before, so I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive, semi, mass-legal .22LR pistol to add to my inventory.

And... go.

Attachments

• 20180813_110504_033_01.jpg
    20180813_110504_033_01.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 121
I had a SR22 for fundamentals and wasn't a fan. Currently debating between a 22/45 and a Buckmark Browning for backyard plinking.

You should take her back to Granite and rent a few, their rentals look to include a lot of popular 22 handguns.

I had a SR22 for fundamentals and wasn't a fan. Currently debating between a 22/45 and a Buckmark Browning for backyard plinking.

You should take her back to Granite and rent a few, their rentals look to include a lot of popular 22 handguns.

hell yeah...i forgot they came back with the buckmark! get one of those and tell ruger to get bent!

Glock 42, if she’s in it for self defense. Much less felt recoil than a 9mm Shield. Or a bigger heavier framed 9mm. No reason you need a .22 to learn fundamentals. IMO the hardest part for a noob is dealing with recoil anyway. If she likes target shooting then a .22.

Ruger mark or s&w victory are both solid choices, cheap and readily available.

There are 22 semis that look more like a regular semi auto of larger caliber but they’re not always as reliable as the two aforementioned models.

Took my wife to Granite State today for her very first time shooting. Looks like I've created another shooter.

She did well with the Shield 9mm, but asked if there was anything with less power she could use to build her fundamentals before she steps back up to the 9mm.

This puts me in the market for a semiautomatic pistol in .22LR. I've never looked into this caliber before, so I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive, semi, mass-legal .22LR pistol to add to my inventory.

And... go.
I can meet up with you in Bradford and you can borrow my wife's Ruger SR22
She learned with it and it is going to be my 9 year olds soon

Attachments

• andover.jpg
    andover.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 53
I’d go for a

1. browning buck mark.
2. Ruger mark 4
3. Smith and Wesson victory

In that order.

Watch some 22 plinkster videos on YouTube

Edit: sr22 is crap.

I’d go for a

1. browning buck mark.
2. Ruger mark 4
3. Smith and Wesson victory

In that order.

Watch some 22 plinkster videos on YouTube

Edit: sr22 is crap.
^^ Crap?
I can shoot what most guys can with their marks
If learning I think it's a good pistol since you can clean it easy, lighter and has an actual slide that will mimic your next pistol like the Shield Etc...
5-6k rounds so far and been great, can't say that about my old P22
CCI is what mine likes though

Last edited:
Ruger Mark 2/3/4 or a Browning Buckmark...I’d prefer a challenger, but those are harder to find and more expensive.

^^ Crap?
I can shoot what most guys can with their marks
If learning I think it's a good pistol since you can clean it easy, lighter and has an actual slide that will mimic your next pistol like the Shield Etc...
5-6k rounds so far and been great, can't say that about my old P22
CCI is what mine likes though

I’m not a fan. Seems like a toy after shooting the more substantial 22s. Not for me.

SR22 is one of the few on the MA roster that's "like a real pistol" in the sense that it's got a full slide, etc.

Walther is nice... there's also a Glock-esque single action with a decocker thingy that's quite nice and can be had for $250ish.

Get her a S&W 617 wheel gun. Great gun, eats any .22, negligible recoil.

My daughter's fave, and she is scary accurate with it

Girls love revolvers more*.
Something about their fingernails...

+1

smith__wesson_model_617_revolver_302272_1.jpg

* This is of course a bold-faced lie.

How does she rack the slide?

naily-nails-1.jpg

...how enbloc sees women's fingernails.

I didn't know the Buckmark was available in Mass. I'd get one of those in stainless, fluted 5 or 6" barrel, fiber sights.

The revolver is also a good choice.

I have a Ruger Mk II Anniversary Edition (original style, red emblems).

SR22 is where I would start. Mark series are great if she eventually wants to up her plinking game. My Mark 3 w / the volquartsen kit is one of my most fun guns to shoot. I would not start with a revolver, even though the 4” 617 is an amazing gun.

Got a Ruger Mark 4 for my wife to use not long ago. She likes it better than shooting the shield 9 or BG 380. Plus I get a new gun to use too :)

Girls love revolvers more*.
Something about their fingernails...

+1

smith__wesson_model_617_revolver_302272_1.jpg

* This is of course a bold-faced lie.
Its true. My lady shot a 617 once and couldn't get enough, although it had nothing to do with fingernails. She ain't scared of clippers. I told her its too expensive, but that Charter makes a pretty decent one that's actually affordable for our broke asses. She said that that'd be fine and has bugged me about it every so often since. Maybe I'll put one under the Yule tree this year. I might have to put it to the buffing wheel first, though. Good handgun to train my daughters on when they are older too.

Back
Top Bottom