• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letters of recommendation?

When I got my first LTC in Scituate they required 2 letters. My understanding is that they are no longer a requirement post bruen but some towns are still asking for them. It's wrong but I personally wouldn't bother fighting them on it as it's just a form letter with a signature but if anyone does want to fight it a test case would be excellent.

Ma. is may issue not shall issue. As such, chiefs make up any additional requirements they want. If you don't like it, you can take them to court. You might win. Probably not. I've needed letters of recommendation in the past and no one was ever contacted. It's only going to get worse. Get out if you can.

I’ve never had to supply any letters but it’s total bs and invasion of privacy that you have to let folks outside of your home know your business as OP has stated.

My wife is applying for her LTC. Are these letters still needed. Shouldn't a background check be good enough?
Well we live in worcester, my wife gona apply for her ltc next week, worcester pd need 2 letters of recommendations. She got 1 from her boss,other one from her friend.
Her boss want to get an ltc too, too bad he got a few dui lol, gona need a very expensive lawyer

Broc commented, not required for renewals but I guess still required for new applications.
Depends on what town you live still I guess.

My kids both got LTC's before they moved and they never had to submit letters, even under the "old" pre Bruen regime. They had both taken hunters safety and that was good enough to get LTC back then.

Fill out the form, give money, take picture and prints, wait 3 months get LTC. Secretary at the PD is a good friend of ours...and tries to fast track on her end...so I know the state is retarded most of the time with the time frame.

I'm pretty sure my pro gun town would have an issue with any cheif that made you get letters or anything beyond the application.

Do they require references (that is, names and phone numbers) or actual letters of reference? I’ve never heard of a MA police department requiring actual letters of reference. Many require references but never actually contact them.

Attleboro requires them, I have written several for 'boro residents over the years (as recently as 2023).

Everyone I know always uses me as a reference because they know Im a gun guy. I've never been contacted in 40 years.

I use both my police chief buddies and used to use my state trooper friend when he was alive. None of them have ever been contacted about me. Police chief buddies say....we don't bother with references.....so it must be for the state.

Same, a lot of people ask me for letters because I'm the only gun guy they know and they think that has some weight.

Everyone I know always uses me as a reference because they know Im a gun guy. I've never been contacted in 40 years.

I use both my police chief buddies and used to use my state trooper friend when he was alive. None of them have ever been contacted about me. Police chief buddies say....we don't bother with references.....so it must be for the state.
The names or letters have nothing to do with checking you out - they are simply hurdles meant to scare or embarrass people into not applying.

Do they require references (that is, names and phone numbers) or actual letters of reference? I’ve never heard of a MA police department requiring actual letters of reference. Many require references but never actually contact them.
Definitely varies by town.

I've told this story before, but I wrote a letter for a friend as required by Woburn. They called both references (we were in adjacent rooms when we each got called)

It's up to the town. Mine required letters when I applied years ago.
A technical point.
It's not up to the town, its defined in the state law, and letters are not required.
It is the CoP or LO that is implementing the unlawful requirement. They know that if anyone refuses they can make up a suitability denial, and most won't risks this or will just go along because it's easier.

Back
Top Bottom