• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife's 1st Time/Need .22LR Pistol Recommendation

I didn't know the Buckmark was available in Mass. I'd get one of those in stainless, fluted 5 or 6" barrel, fiber sights.

Ah I actually don't think it's on Her Majesty's list. One week away from moving to NH and saw them at the LGS there.

Just need to find an FFL to transfer the frame to you, and sell you the slide and barrel.

I got the Mark IV Lite for my wife to shoot. She complained about my other pistols being too heavy (including the MK II with 6" barrel), so this one has a really light aluminum frame with a very lightweight barrel.
43916-2.jpg

Did I miss something here? OP wants an easier shooting pistol for his wife to teach her fundamentals — while OP asked about a .22, what about the M&P 380 Shield EZ?

Sure, target pistols are great for plinking and target shooting, and the SR22 and Walther are good options to ‘mimic’ a “real” semi auto pistol, but the new 380 EZ seems to be the best of all worlds.

Easier shooting than 9mm, a “real” caliber (well, ok... -ish), not specifically for target/plinking, and can actually be used as a defensive round. Seems like a no-brainer...

Took my wife to Granite State today for her very first time shooting. Looks like I've created another shooter.

She did well with the Shield 9mm, but asked if there was anything with less power she could use to build her fundamentals before she steps back up to the 9mm.

This puts me in the market for a semiautomatic pistol in .22LR. I've never looked into this caliber before, so I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive, semi, mass-legal .22LR pistol to add to my inventory.

And... go.
1. Mass legal? So much fail.....but....I digress

2. Ruger mark iii or mark iv.

Done

Did I miss something here? OP wants an easier shooting pistol for his wife to teach her fundamentals — while OP asked about a .22, what about the M&P 380 Shield EZ?

Sure, target pistols are great for plinking and target shooting, and the SR22 and Walther are good options to ‘mimic’ a “real” semi auto pistol, but the new 380 EZ seems to be the best of all worlds.

Easier shooting than 9mm, a “real” caliber (well, ok... -ish), not specifically for target/plinking, and can actually be used as a defensive round. Seems like a no-brainer...
Except you can't beat the price of 22lr ammo.

Guys keep pushing against a 22lr for some reason........"gotta get a real gun" lol

Look there is nothing wrong with a 22 pistol or rifle for a first gun. The biggets benefit in my opinion is ammonis so inexpensive you'll actually use it. You can literally shoot for 3 hours and only use $20 of ammo (a 350 round bulk pack of fed automatch is under $20). How much does 350 rounds of 380 auto cost?

Last edited:
If you ever shoot at Harvard, you can shoot mine. One is a S&W and the other is a .22 conversion kit on a Colt 1911. Going the conversion kit route isn't cheap but it's a good understudy for a larger caliber. I also have several .22 revolvers but I didn't think you were interested in revolvers.

My wife likes the markIII hunter the best so far.
She has small hands and the factory grips ars just big enough. She likes the SW41 also but grips are a bit to wide and she death grips it to compensate.

Don’t get me wrong, I also have an SR22 and enjoy shooting it... I use it to “warm up” at the range since ammo is so inexpensive (as previously noted), and it cycles like any other semi-auto (and the GF likes shooting it as well). My point was, there are other (perhaps better) options out there for a dual role as a training pistol that can also purpose as a carry gun that the OP may wish to consider. I don’t know anyone who keeps a Mark III/IV, etc. as a carry gun, although they are fun as heck to shoot. I was only pointing out an alternative option for the OP to consider...

OP: if your near the Holliston area, you’re welcome to try my SR22. MFS does not have a loaner as part of their armory (I suspect because of reliability issues for use as a range gun)

I had the same question as I feel like I bring a lot of first timers. I think I'm settling on a Mark 4 with a Vortex Viper (I am a convert to the church of the dot, especially for learning) FWIW.

I'm looking for a trainer for concealed carry and a fun plinker for me. So I'm probably most interested in something like the SR22 or similar.

The M&P22 compact is interesting to me as it is very similar in size and function to the Shield, which I carry and which my wife probably will, too (since I have a second one in the safe already). I think the M&P would really help to develop good muscle memory since the grip and manual of arms M&P22-Shield01.jpg M&P22-Shield02.jpg M&P22-Shield03.jpg are almost identical.

I'm looking for a trainer for concealed carry and a fun plinker for me. So I'm probably most interested in something like the SR22 or similar.

The M&P22 compact is interesting to me as it is very similar in size and function to the Shield, which I carry and which my wife probably will, too (since I have a second one in the safe already). I think the M&P would really help to develop good muscle memory since the grip and manual of armsView attachment 243615 View attachment 243616 View attachment 243617 are almost identical.
What's the trigger like on the M&P22

Except you can't beat the price of 22lr ammo.

Guys keep pushing against a 22lr for some reason........"gotta get a real gun" lol

Look there is nothing wrong with a 22 pistol or rifle for a first gun. The biggets benefit in my opinion is ammonis so inexpensive you'll actually use it. You can literally shoot for 3 hours and only use $20 of ammo. How much does 350 rounds of 380 auto cost?
yep, it's killin' me but i'm in agreement again with this guy, lol a .22 makes a super first gun and most likely one that stays in the collection forever. i still have my smith k-22 6" i bought used 45 years ago (retired). that's beside the point, i'm partial to the ruger mk series now. not so high on the .22/45 variants but that's me. hoping the wife was there to handle it before the buy. most husbands buy for the wife what they want, not what she does.

i'm also a believer in buying a gun for a purpose. want a range gun, buy one suited for target shooting to build fundamentals, 4" is ok, 6" is better. trying to be proficient with a small revolver or semi auto just builds frustration and bad habits.

you know, wondering why the shield isn't offered in .22. it would be a decent platform. i have a smith .22 compact m&p, the walther built one, but it's still a full size m&p as far as i'm concerned.

^^ Crap?
I can shoot what most guys can with their marks
If learning I think it's a good pistol since you can clean it easy, lighter and has an actual slide that will mimic your next pistol like the Shield Etc...
5-6k rounds so far and been great, can't say that about my old P22
CCI is what mine likes though
I had one and then got a mkII. Didnt shoot the sr as much after that so traded it for a 5906 which I love. I do miss the sr though. Might pick one up again one of these days. Fun little plinker.

Back
Top Bottom