Why is a pediatrician asking about guns?

Took my 6mo old daughter to the pediatrician today for a checkup. They ask a few medical questions, then all of a sudden switches to what felt like an interrigation.
"Do you have any Guns in the home?"
stupid me I said Yes without thinking about it.
"Do you store them safely?" Sure! "What kind guns and how many?" Excuse me, what?
"What kind guns and how many?"
I shut it down right there. told her these questions have nothing to do with pediatrics and I won't be answering any more of them.
The look on her face was priceless.
But serously though WTF?
What's next, the grocery store?

I guess it makes things simple when you are a LEO. I have yet to get asked that question. Then again, it automatically puts me on the list, one of many.

Just tell the doctor you would never keep guns in the house, I squirrel them in the shrubs outside.

Thank god my sons pediatrician is a family friend.

my wife took the twins in, the nurse asked, she said yes... i went in with our daughter, the nurse asked, i said no......
gotta keep 'em guessing.....
if my wife was smart, she wouldn't have married me ;)

["I said no"]...Wouldn't have been my reply. Mine would've been "And just what business is it of yours to ask either me OR my wife what goes on under our roof, in the privacy of our home? Please stick to health exams and writing prescriptions for chemicals that are manufactured by companies your retirement fund owns stock in and we'll both go about the rest of our respective days. Fair enough, Doctor?"

...But serously though WTF?

Sorry this took you off guard. They will ask it again. And again.

When you've been to doctors often, you start to build a repertoire of responses to typical questions/statements, like when they get ready to shove a big needle into you and they say "this won't hurt" you reply, "Oh, good--you don't hurt me, I won't hurt you."

The AMA wants to classify gun ownership has a disease. If you own guns, you are sick, defective. If you are sick/defective you should not own guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is so I want a life time supply of free or discounted ammo and several firearms of my choice..... just like the addicted.

Can we get ammo at CVS now?

be nice wouldnt it. Im trying to get my teeth fixed after a accident. lost 2 lower fronts. been playing round and round with dentists and sorting out how much it will cost me. Mean while friends DB brother junky just got free veneers to fix his rotten mouth.

In MA they have to get blood tests for lead every year while they are in school anyway.

The mistake was letting them question your children wihtout yoru active participation. Its an easy mistake to make. One I could see any of us making.

One other response might be.

"why aren't you asking about swimming pools? did you know that TEN TIMES (60 vs 600) kids die every year in swimming pool accidents?

Why aren't you asking about the chemicals under my kitchen sink? Did you know that THIRTY TIMES (1700 vs 60) as many kids die of accidental poisoning?

gun accidents - 60
Swimming pool accidents - 600
accidental poisoning - 1700

Actually, in most pediatric residencies that I know of, they ask all of the above. Swimming pool fences, under-sink chemicals, seat belts, car seats, firearms, etc. Not sure why people are only being asked about firearms unless it's one of two reasons: their own personal agendas, or government-mandate.

If this is so I want a life time supply of free or discounted ammo and several firearms of my choice..... just like the addicted.

I tried to get my PA to write an order for a new holster and belt when he told me carrying IWB was probably contributing to my back pain. No luck.

I tried to get my PA to write an order for a new holster and belt when he told me carrying IWB was probably contributing to my back pain. No luck.

i have had the same primary since i was a teenager, never liked him much. Im going to really F with him if he asks these silly questions. As for my kids DR. he seems to only want to know about what is wrong at the moment. No one has ever asked me any questions other than what the health problem maybe.
Oral surgeon gave me a sheet with a shit ton of questions on it.....i just didnt fill it out , not a word from them when I handed it in.

["I said no"]...Wouldn't have been my reply. Mine would've been "And just what business is it of yours to ask either me OR my wife what goes on under our roof, in the privacy of our home? Please stick to health exams and writing prescriptions for chemicals that are manufactured by companies your retirement fund owns stock in and we'll both go about the rest of our respective days. Fair enough, Doctor?"

Might've been my response had i known beforehand that my wife had been asked this also....

My kids will NEVER be alone in a room with a doctor

Yeh right.... remember when the kid was born and the nurse asked you to leave the room? That was so the nurse could ask your wife if you beat her...

They'll do the same with your kid....

Last edited:
Just stumbled across this, interesting info

http://www.drgo.us/?p=1621

4) If your doctor persists in asking intrusive questions about guns in your home, you can also file a complaint specifically against him or her with your health plan. Such complaints are taken seriously, and the doctor will be called to account for it. Having one or more complaints about ethical boundary violations on her record will make her think twice about doing it again.

6) Increasingly, doctors’ pay from Medicare and insurance companies is tied to how they score on patient satisfaction surveys. These are often sent randomly to patients, but you can request one to fill out. You can have a powerful impact on a doctor’s conduct by reporting the doctor’s unethical questioning about your guns.

Not all docs care. I knew of one a little while back that was running a med spa as a doctor on an Aesthetician's license, writing scripts on her (actual dr.) husband's prescription pad and falsifying medical records when it looked like someone might be interested. However, because her "target" demographics were just illegal aliens, nobody ever cared.

I recently received one of these surveys after a routine check up, about 4 or 5 months ago. I wasnt going to waste my time, and threw it in the trash.

3 months ago, i received a follow up survey with bold letters stating the importance to the HMO that I do the survey. Filed that one too.

Last month, another letter with bold letters AND a phone call. Apparently they want their surveys filled out.

Last edited:
Oh great. My wife is due in November with our first. Not looking forward to all the BS that goes with it...

If you answer YES, or divert the question, are the blue boys comming to your home for a "welfare check"?

I will probably answer NO, and so will the wife (shes a shooter too).

Does it get a little better the further west of 495 you go?

Really not looking forward to when baby is old enough to start to figure out that Mommy and Daddy are gun enthusiasts. Yikes

That's good advice on not leaving the kid alone with the Doc. I am going to have to remember that!

I'm inside the 95/128 loop (Arlington).

My 7 year old shoots. I got worried last year because she really wanted to tell some of her friends. So I scheduled an appt with her school principal with a vague statement that I'm worried about the school environment.

When we sat down I told her that I'm a shooter, gun owner, instructor, etc, and that my daughter has been shooting with me since she was 6, and I was not going to passively sit and worry about what might happen to me or my daughter if she wants to talk about guns.

The principal took one look at the photos of my daughter and exclaimed "oh my god, that is so cute".

I knew I was fine.

We continued to talk about the issue in town where a parent referenced a firearm and was dragged through the coals.

I told her that my daughter may in fact draw a gun in school, and that I don't expect any blowback.
She reminded me that the context was important, which is reasonable. If the gun is shooting a person, then there is a problem.
if the gun is shooting a target, (or an animal, I reminded her) then it was ok.

We agreed on all of this. I told her I was going to restate this in an email and I would like her to reply accepting this.
I did, and she did.

Its sad that I had to do this, but It was something that needed to be done.

Don

20140125_081711_zpsba91e419.jpg goodfinger_zps087ec8ce.jpg 20140125_081651_zpsd6088a76.jpg

p.s. while I was digging through pics of my kid shooting, I found this. I just had to post this, because its hot. Sorry, off topic.
IMG_4441.jpg

Last edited:
Oh great. My wife is due in November with our first. Not looking forward to all the BS that goes with it...

If you think that's unsettling, wait until your kid(s) hit their early teens and realize that you and your wife have sex together. Keep a camera handy, because the look on their face is priceless! [laugh]

If you answer YES, or divert the question, are the blue boys comming to your home for a "welfare check"?

I will probably answer NO, and so will the wife (shes a shooter too).

Does it get a little better the further west of 495 you go?

Really not looking forward to when baby is old enough to start to figure out that Mommy and Daddy are gun enthusiasts. Yikes

That's good advice on not leaving the kid alone with the Doc. I am going to have to remember that!

we recently had our first baby. He's been to the pediatrician like 4 times so far. The doc hasn't asked this question once and I'm not anticipating it....who knows, maybe they wait until the kid is old enough to walk around? Or maybe a bunch of NESers just go to weird ass doctors.

If if does get asked I'm not saying no. I'm saying, "can we please stick to questions with clinical value related to the health and biology of my child?".

And yeah, my kid will NEVER be alone with the doc. **** that.

Ask them if they know what a "boundary violation" is. That's when they provide info or talk about a subject that they are not qualified in. You can report them to the AMA. (Would do no good, of course, but it would shut them up). If my sons were ever asked to leave the room so that the doc could ask questions of the kids in private, the world as we know it would never be the same again. Jack.

You guys do realise that comeing back with some witty 'its none of your damn buisness' line is as good as saying a yes? There are only really to options, Lie and say no (and that would be teaching your kids a bad lesson) or say yep, next question... (unless they ask it in a way to get arround it, my primary care doc had a question on the form, "do you have any unsecured firearms in the house and children". As all of mine are secure I just select no everytime.

Trying to 'strike back' at the man for asking questions he doesnt need to know the answer to isnt going to stop them from asking, but it will put you on a list (even if its just in his mind) of crazy gun guy.

Do you have any guns in the home?

Why? What are you looking for?

Exactly what my wife answered... and handed her our business card.

The mistake was letting them question your children wihtout yoru active participation.

I'm assuming that this was to someone other than the OP, who said his kid was 6 months old.

This, as well as other things .gov could do with a "list" of your guns. Think about it.

Well, for my inventory, well, all they have to do is send Dawn (yes, I'm on a first name basis with the local ATF agent) down and ask to look in the bound book. Believe me, I know they know what I have and where I live. So do a lot of people. If they bother to realize I used to live in MA, they could certainly ask MA for my FA10s. Won't help them for the stuff I bought in the last two years, though.

I like the way you're thinking there.

I'm inside the 95/128 loop (Arlington).

My 7 year old shoots. I got worried last year because she really wanted to tell some of her friends. So I scheduled an appt with her school principal with a vague statement that I'm worried about the school environment.

When we sat down I told her that I'm a shooter, gun owner, instructor, etc, and that my daughter has been shooting with me since she was 6, and I was not going to passively sit and worry about what might happen to me or my daughter if she wants to talk about guns.

The principal took one look at the photos of my daughter and exclaimed "oh my god, that is so cute".
[snip]

View attachment 141011 View attachment 141012 View attachment 141013

It IS sad you had to do that, but it's SMART of you to do it. Especially in this day and age. Well done. BTW... is that a Savage Rascal she's shooting? Do you think it's a better gun than the Crickett? (Just wondering; I carry Cricketts and they're popular, but I've been wondering about picking up some of the Rascals, too.)

If you think that's unsettling, wait until your kid(s) hit their early teens and realize that you and your wife have sex together. Keep a camera handy, because the look on their face is priceless! [laugh]

Pro tip - sound proof your bedroom. The first time your poor kid accidentally overhears you could scar them for life. DAHMIK. :(

You guys do realize that coming back with some witty 'its none of your damn business' line is as good as saying a yes? ...

There are a bunch of questions along these lines, such as do you wear seatbelts, etc.

As soon as the line of questioning shifts to these non-clinical questions I pipe up and say "these questions have no clinical value, so we'll we'll just move on." (i.e. they never get TO that question as a general rule, or at least it is dismissed en mass with a bunch of other nonsense questions)

The reaction varies from shock, to "I think I bit a bug" to "sure, whatevs." Usually they just move past the invasive, lifestyle questions and on to the "do you ever feel pain in your left arm or a constriction in your chest?" type of questions.

You guys do realise that comeing back with some witty 'its none of your damn buisness' line is as good as saying a yes? There are only really to options, Lie and say no (and that would be teaching your kids a bad lesson) or say yep, next question... (unless they ask it in a way to get arround it, my primary care doc had a question on the form, "do you have any unsecured firearms in the house and children". As all of mine are secure I just select no everytime.

Trying to 'strike back' at the man for asking questions he doesnt need to know the answer to isnt going to stop them from asking, but it will put you on a list (even if its just in his mind) of crazy gun guy.
no...telling someone it's none of their business is making a point. That it's none of their damned business. It's a rude and intrusive question that should be answered as such. **** them. If they want to tick of the "yes" box after I tell them to pound sand then I don't care. But I'm not lying and I'm not making their stupid data collection easy.

Professionals need to stick to their areas of expertise.
I can imagine this line of questioning in my job.

What time of night do you hear scratching in the wall?
Do you hear it in more than one place at the same time?
Ever heard it in any other room?
Does your teenager carry a rubber in his wallet at all times?

You said too much already by answering at all except with "none of your business".

My previous pediatrician is retired military. He never asked. His nurse asked me once. I responded with "Do you have herpes?" She got pretty pissed and once over the shock told me it was a rude question that had nothing to do with my child. I simply responded "exactly". It was never mentioned again, and when I moved I checked out my children's records. There is ONE mention of firearms in the entire packet. It's from that day and simply said "refused to answer". The question doesn't even appear in the list of questions on the other million pages.

I've always assumed that I'm not under oath, while talking to a Dr.. My position is one of denial , just a simple
"no" has has always worked for me.

.......................................... Jack

Back
Top Bottom