Why is a pediatrician asking about guns?

Nafets

NES Member
Took my 6mo old daughter to the pediatrician today for a checkup. They ask a few medical questions, then all of a sudden switches to what felt like an interrigation.
"Do you have any Guns in the home?"
stupid me I said Yes without thinking about it.
"Do you store them safely?" Sure! "What kind guns and how many?" Excuse me, what?
"What kind guns and how many?"
I shut it down right there. told her these questions have nothing to do with pediatrics and I won't be answering any more of them.
The look on her face was priceless.
But serously though WTF?
What's next, the grocery store?

Took my 6mo old daughter to the pediatrician today for a checkup. They ask a few medical questions, then all of a sudden switches to what felt like an interrigation.
"Do you store them safely?" Sure! "What kind guns and how many?" Excuse me, what?
I shut it down right there. told her these questions have nothing to do with pediatrics and I won't be answering any more of them.
But serously though WTF?

You said too much already by answering at all except with "none of your business".

Wow, the "what kind and how many" is a new one.

Should have asked who suggested, or why she felt the need to, ask that specific question.

Tell her you would like to resume answering:

Grease gun
Nerf gun
Staple gun
Squirt gun
Love Gun.

That should stop the questions.

But serously though WTF?

I see two responses:

The one I say to my whife when she asks the exact question. "Not nearly enough"

Or you could say this:
" I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna **** with me. Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks.."

Tell her you would like to resume answering:

Grease gun
Nerf gun
Staple gun
Squirt gun
Love Gun.

That should stop the questions.

Or I have every type, a finish gun, brad gun, roofing gun, framing gun, siding gun. Why, you like carpentry?

But serously though WTF?

Maybe she just wanted to compare her gun collection to yours?

Was she hot?

[devil2]

iDuECIc3JZg5E.gif

Tell her you have five of them much prized Ceramic Glocks, a 40mm grande launcher that works under water and a fire extinguishing flame thrower.

You made a mistake, at least have fun (and risk getting swatted).

Last edited:
Last time we had that question, a month or two ago, it was phrased as "if there are guns in the house, are they locked up or otherwise inaccessible to children?"

Do you have any guns in the home?

Why? What are you looking for?

"Oh God no!
I have them all in my van, much easier to sell them to underage youth that way Dr. "

- - - Updated - - -

Last time we had that question, a month or two ago, it was phrased as "if there are guns in the house, are they locked up or otherwise inaccessible to children?"

We had the same question, nice phrasing huh ? me dumb toothless gun owner, me won't see this a mile ahead, also me will tell you which room I have them in, even if you don't ask, can you jingle that key chain again for me? that was Awesome!

My wife and I were asked this at some point when the kids were little. We both knew enough to just say no. Later on, they started asking my kids directly and they let the cat out of the bag... "Dad takes us shooting". That was quickly followed by blood tests for lead. I was not a happy camper.

My wife and I were asked this at some point when the kids were little. We both knew enough to just say no. Later on, they started asking my kids directly and they let the cat out of the bag... "Dad takes us shooting". That was quickly followed by blood tests for lead. I was not a happy camper.

Well, testing for lead levels is actually the one medically relevant reason to inquire about firearms....

- - - Updated - - -

Tell here you have five of them much prized Ceramic Glocks, a 40mm grande launcher that works under water and a fire extiguishing flame thrower.

You made a mistake, at least have fun (and risk getting swatted).

Also be sure to say "and don't worry, none of them are traceable!"

In MA they have to get blood tests for lead every year while they are in school anyway.

The mistake was letting them question your children wihtout yoru active participation. Its an easy mistake to make. One I could see any of us making.

One other response might be.

"why areen't you asking about swimming pools? did you know that TEN TIMES (60 vs 600) kids die every year in swimming pool accidents?

Why aren't you asking about the chemicals under my kitchen sink? Did you know that THIRTY TIMES (1700 vs 60) as many kids die of accidental poisoning?

gun accidents - 60
Swimming pool accidents - 600
accidental poisoning - 1700

Sneaky Bolshevik way to get you to confirm you have guns. Very tricky.

Back
Top Bottom