Why do people need so many mags?

I really don't think the OP is questioning anyone's right or ability to have a lot of magazines, I read his question as "Huh, I don't need that many, why do you have so many?" kinda like when I ask computer nuts why they have 5 computers running in their basement. It's not a judgement, just a question.

I have a bunch of magazines for some of my guns because they were cheaper in quantity and figured I could later sell any I didn't want. Other guns I deliberately bought a bunch so I could have at least 40 rounds of magazine capacity for doing steel plates at MRA. Any low capacity gun needs a bunch of magazines, and even high cap guns require at least four mags because of the 10 round limit for the game. Six magazines for a 1911 seems pretty reasonable in that case. I've got 8 speedloaders for my Security-Six, 'cuz it only holds six cartridges. :)

I really don't think the OP is questioning anyone's right or ability to have a lot of magazines, I read his question as "Huh, I don't need that many, why do you have so many?" kinda like when I ask computer nuts why they have 5 computers running in their basement. It's not a judgement, just a question.

There we go! I'm glad at least a few of us are capable of answering questions as they were written. I know a lot of you are touchy about people questioning you, but calm down and realize no one is passing judgments or trying to take your property away. I'm glad you got it right milktree, and the few others who gave actual answers instead of "why do women need to vote?" or "BECAUSE I CAN!"

There we go! I'm glad at least a few of us are capable of answering questions as they were written. I know a lot of you are touchy about people questioning you, but calm down and realize no one is passing judgments or trying to take your property away. I'm glad you got it right milktree, and the few others who gave actual answers instead of "why do women need to vote?" or "BECAUSE I CAN!"

If you ask a dumb question you will be sure to get a dumb answer...

So this was just a test to see how many intelligent answers you could get? I'm assuming you really don't care about how many mags a complete stranger has in their range bag.

If you ask a dumb question you will be sure to get a dumb answer...

There's no such thing as a dumb question, only a dumb answer. I'm sure you have asked a question of two in the course of your 3 years here that someone else regarded as dumb. I'm also sure you got your question answered in between other people's unnecessary comments.

45collector said:
So this was just a test to see how many intelligent answers you could get? I'm assuming you really don't care about how many mags a complete stranger has in their range bag.

I don't care how many, I care about the reasoning behind buying so many. I've only taken an interest in firearms over the past 2 years and know of no one in MA who also shoots. Since this site tends to attract MA people who shoot, I wanted to LEARN the reasoning behind spending money on so many things. Some of the intelligent answers were useful so now I know.

Last edited:
It's better to have too many than too few.

I sometimes buy the mags then buy the gun. It's a little game I play with myself.

I do go mag crazy. At least 5 to 10 per pistol, and an untold number for rifles. [wink] I've had some mags go bad on me so instead of scrambling to replace one of the two I have, I just toss that one. Naturally then I replace that bad one so I never get below my quota.

Last edited:
Like many other peeps here have intimated, it's more about convenience, at least for me.

If you're at a shooting line and want to fire away, you get into a sort of "mode" after the first two mags or so. You start to get a flow. It stinks that after two mags, you have to stop to reload them. It breaks the juju.

By having 10 mags pre-loaded before getting to the firing line, you can blast away while trying different stances, hand-holds, etc without breaking the rhythm.

Once you have spent your 10 mags, you can go sit on the bench to reload the 10 mags, while thinking about what you would like to adjust next time, and shoot the shiz with anyone else sitting at the bench, relax, go for a pee break, get some water etc.

After you have the 10 mags reloaded, you go back to the line for another "session".

I do not have more than a couple of mags for any single firearm, but I can tell you...It would be nice to have many, because getting into a groove and then breaking it because I have to reload mags is a bummer.

Last edited:
You're not preaching to the right choir here. You'd probably have a better reception by signing up for a woman's activist forum and ask why woman really need to vote... Let me know how that works out.

[laugh]

How many pairs of underwear or socks do you have, and why more than two? If you can answer that, you already have your answer.

for range toys - whatever they came with, 2, 3, 4 or more.

the only guns i actively ALWAYS seek mags for are my SHTF Carbine and Side Arms. [smile]

as for the convenience of loading 10 mags, your still loading 10 mags [laugh] i usually bring 2 to 3 mags to "shoot" with at the range. then i rotate them through...

i personally do not care to have a crap load of mags laying around... i.e. if I had two guns, i'd have 50 mags??? [laugh] I'd rather invest more in ammo and guns vs. mags for a gun that's not on my CCW / SHTF roster.

OP, hope it helps.

I don't have a ton of time to go to the range and that's going to decrease even further in September. I'd rather load them at home and focus on shooting at the range. It's definitely a PITA to have to keep stopping to reload my 2 Mark III mags every 20 rounds.

That said, I don't have a ton of mags for my 92FS but if 2-3 broke, I'd still be okay (unhappy but okay).

I ran into Four Seasons, Collectors Coin Gallery and AAA Police supply and bought hi cap mags for guns I didn't own but wanted in the future. It turned out to be a very good decision.

I bought some HK91 and Tommy gun mags several years back. I keep hoping that some day I'll open my safe and an HK91 and/or Tommy gun will magically appear.

I bought some HK91 and Tommy gun mags several years back. I keep hoping that some day I'll open my safe and an HK91 and/or Tommy gun will magically appear.

[laugh] You need to plant the mags in your garden. Remember to water and fertilize them regularly.

I'm glad you got it right milktree, and the few others who gave actual answers instead of "why do women need to vote?" or "BECAUSE I CAN!"

I've always thought "because I can" was a proxy answer for "Because I can get away with it" or "Isn't it fun that I can do this absurd thing." or a sort of rationalization for doing/having something that the speaker knows is .... silly or wasteful or absurd. It's not a reason to do anything.

For instance, you can buy and have as many disposable diapers, ball point pens, or pint glasses as you want. Why don't you have a lifetime supply of pens? Why don't you have a kitchen filled with glasses? The answer is obvious: it's stupid to have so much/many of something you'll never need all of at once.

Please note, what I'm saying is *not* that what anyone does is stupid or dumb. "Because I like having them." is a real answer. "Because I participate in sports that use a lot of magazines." is a real answer. "Because they wear out and I want extras." is a real answer. "Because I'm worried that I won't be able to get them in the future." is a real answer. "Because I like to load them all at home to save range time and my thumbs." is a real answer. "Because I got a lot when I thought they'd be rare in the future and haven't gotten rid of them yet." is a real answer.

"Because I can." isn't a real answer.

If you asked me why I have seven motorcycles and I said, "Because I can", it wouldn't tell you *anything* about my reasons for having that many, my motivations, the differences between them, why I like the blue one more than the grey one, or what advantages there are of having more than two.

If you asked my why I have a collection of occlupanids (look it up) and I said "Because I can", or "I'm allowed to!" or "You got a problem with that?" you'd think I was a whack job, trying to hide something.

But if I said, "Bread doesn't always come with one, and I don't like twist ties." or "My counter is red, so I save the green, white, and yellow ones so I can find them more easily." it would actually be an answer to your question and give you some insight into my thought process.

Last edited:
preparedness.jpg

damn I left the door open

If you asked my why I have a collection of occlupands (look it up) and I said "Because I can", or "I'm allowed to!" or "You got a problem with that?" you'd think I was a whack job, trying to hide something.

Good post......but what the hell is occlupands? (I tried looking it up....but I think you misspelled it!)[rofl][rofl]

Pre AWB conversation

"Why do you need a clip that holds 17 bullets?"
"Because if 16 people attack I might miss one. Defensive ammo comes in 20 round boxes. The magazine should be able to hold all of them...what am I supposed to do with the extra 3? That is where having a second magazine comes in handy. But after putting the 3 bullets in it there is room for 14 more in the second magazine so I'll buy another box of ammo. Then I top off the 2nd magazine but have 6 left over so I buy a 3rd magazine and since that one has room for more I buy another box of ammo. I'll end up with 9 left over so I need yet another magazine...aaaannnd another box of ammo. When I finally reach the point where the magazine capacity matches the ammo I bought I have enough magazines...for now at least!"
In this scenario the correct amount of magazines is 20. It'll take 17 boxes of ammo to fill em.

This.

Also, I need to be able to fill out my 300-mag chest rig bugout wheelbarrow.

Poser, You bought the tacticalite wheelbarrow, everyone knows the man's tactical wheelbarrow holds 600 mags..............

Why? Because I can and I want to. For those that dont understand the "because I can" I mean that I have the financial ability and I like to have extras of the things I can afford. If I use a pistol with 3 mags regularly, I figure my minimum number should be double that. ALso, buy low and sell high is always nice when you find things cheap.

Same reason some people own expensive cars, watches worth 5k and other stuff that some would find "excessive"

Go big or go home....

Last edited:
For instance, you can buy and have as many disposable diapers, ball point pens, or pint glasses as you want. Why don't you have a lifetime supply of pens? Why don't you have a kitchen filled with glasses? The answer is obvious: it's stupid to have so much/many of something you'll never need all of at once.

ochpens.jpg

I bought a case lot of 10,000 pens off of Ebay once while I was in the Marines, and I honestly did it just because I was bored and I could. Cost me $60 shipped to Hawaii.

Because when the s### finally hits the fan you can trade for food or water! And the way it looks it will be soon.

ochpens.jpg

I bought a case lot of 10,000 pens off of Ebay once while I was in the Marines, and I honestly did it just because I was bored and I could. Cost me $60 shipped to Hawaii.

Ding! We have a winner! Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

+Reps for being a smart ass.

Maybe its just me, but I don't see any reason why people need 10-15 mags for each gun they own. I'm not saying it should be regulated, just that I can't see how you could use them all. They're metal so they aren't breaking every few months, and you can only put one in the gun at once. I just don't see why you need more than 1-2 (assuming you don't lose or break things often) unless you do IDPA or can't stand reloading a mag right after you empty it. Could someone explain why 10+ mags are "needed" for each gun you own?

maybee its a fetish...like tattooing,hats & the internet? [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom