Why do people need so many mags?

Maybe its just me, but I don't see any reason why people need 10-15 mags for each gun they own. I'm not saying it should be regulated, just that I can't see how you could use them all. They're metal so they aren't breaking every few months, and you can only put one in the gun at once. I just don't see why you need more than 1-2 (assuming you don't lose or break things often) unless you do IDPA or can't stand reloading a mag right after you empty it. Could someone explain why 10+ mags are "needed" for each gun you own?

They are great ammo storage containers! Ready to use incase of zombie apocalypse.

edit: Like Boghog said, it's nice to load up a bunch of mags and then shoot them. If you have 1-2 mags, your shootign and then reloading a lot.

Last edited:
Because I'm a high speed, switched on mofo....and because reloading mags makes my thumb hurt a little [grin].

Maybe its just me, but I don't see any reason why people need 10-15 mags for each gun they own. I'm not saying it should be regulated, just that I can't see how you could use them all. They're metal so they aren't breaking every few months, and you can only put one in the gun at once. I just don't see why you need more than 1-2 (assuming you don't lose or break things often) unless you do IDPA or can't stand reloading a mag right after you empty it. Could someone explain why 10+ mags are "needed" for each gun you own?

serious.jpg

Mags do break. They also wear out, get lost etc. If you compete in any gun sports, you will want extras/spares, because you will wear them out that
much faster.

There is also this pesky group of people trying to ban them all the time....

If the last thing alone isn't enough of an incentive, then I don't know what is.

I have a "policy" of having at least 4-6 mags for every handgun I own, and at least 10 for every rifle.

-Mike

For me:

1) Buy an AR, comes with 2 20 round mags
2) Decide my AR should have at least 6 mags, so buy 4 more
3) Get a deal on more AR mags (Vietnam era 20 rounders for $10 ea if I buy 10)
4) Decide that I have enough mags I should buy a second AR

Repeat.

When the Fed AWB passed, I was one of the first to know due to the MA FIREARMS mailing list. I ran into Four Seasons, Collectors Coin Gallery and AAA Police supply and bought hi cap mags for guns I didn't own but wanted in the future. It turned out to be a very good decision.

Why not?

Because a semiauto pistol with no mag is a single shot rock. Fire the one in the chamber and prepare to beat the bad guy with it when it's empty.

I didn't say "why do you need mags", I asked why so many are needed. Obviously you need at least 1. The concept of having 15 for the same gun just seemed foreign to me, since I only target shoot (no IDPA or competition of any kind) so one or two mags is all I need.

DukeNukem said:
Is this even a serious question.

No, I just post things to stir up controversy and waste everyone's time reading and answering /sarcasm

I've got a dozen mags for my AR, and I still feel like I should have more. (Mainly from seeing how many some of our other members have!)

I've got 9 or 10 for the EG Makarov and that's only because they're cheap, plentiful and easy to find.

I've got a dozen + for full size 1911's.

Some guns I have only one mag for: CZ52, P38, and a couple cheap Italian pea-shooters that I really don't see the need for more than one.

There are just too many valid reasons for someone to have many mags for a gun. One is you never know when one is going to fail. I have a P99 where I only had two mags and one day while out at the range the floorplate on one gave out and broke so I was down to only one functional mag. Not long after I added a third and would like another 1 or 2 for it.

Like it was said before, load em all up before you go to the range and spend your time shooting not reloading. Also, if I have a gun for which there are pre-ban mags, I want as many as I can get my paws on before the prices go up even more.

You're not preaching to the right choir here. You'd probably have a better reception by signing up for a woman's activist forum and ask why woman really need to vote... Let me know how that works out.

Need has nothing to do with it. WANT is all that is required.

All mags are NOT metal, many are plastic these days.

Many mags do break or lips get damaged (gouges on plastic lips or bent lips if metal).

No target or carry gun is adequate w/o at least 3 mags. When we did Appleseed, they stated 4 MINIMUM, 5 ideal!

Mags are a failure point in guns. If you need the gun to function, you NEED spare mags. I've had 6 mag failures of Walther P99 .40 mags due to a "bad batch of plastic" used in some baseplates. It happened on the range, and even some of the replacement bases that S&W shipped me failed . . . but what if it happened when I needed it to save a life?

Reloading while taking a course is a PITA, so having 10 loaded 1911 mags ready to go really saves on time/thumbs.

Sometimes we get a deal based on quantity.

Because of threats to ban mags and hopes that pre-ban (for the next ban) will be allowed.

Because idiot AGs threaten dealers who sell to MA so buying "when I need it" is very difficult, thus if traveling or you see a deal, you snap it up.

This is very much like "why do women have more than 1 pair of shoes?" or "why do men own more than two pairs of pants?" Because we can!

You're not preaching to the right choir here. You'd probably have a better reception by signing up for a woman's activist forum and ask why woman really need to vote... Let me know how that works out.

So defensive for such a simple question...perhaps we have some SHORTcomings elsewhere we're trying to make up for?

Need has nothing to do with it. WANT is all that is required.
Agreed

This is very much like "why do women have more than 1 pair of shoes?" or "why do men own more than two pairs of pants?" Because we

I equate "why do you need so many guns?" to "why do women have more than 1 pair of shoes?". I think this question is more along the lines of "why do you need 10 pair of backup shoe laces for each of your shoes?"

Because I hate loading magazines. So I have a lot of them so I can spend a lot of time.......loading magazines. This is like the speed of light/mass/energy thing, right?

Zombies aren't going to stop zombie-marching toward you when you call time-out to reload your empty mags from the boxes of ammo you're carrying with you.

Why do I have 5 15-rounders for my p226? Because sometimes I have to go into Boston. [smile]

Seriously though, as others have said, when I'm shooting I want to be shooting and not reloading. If I can get mags for cheap it just makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom