• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do people need so many mags?

I have lotsa mags for certain guns because of a few things...

first, a few groups of my guns all share common mags... So, when I buy a gun for that group sometimes it'll have a few extra mags for it... Like a Beretta 92 I'm buying shortly... it's coming with 10 mags. I've owned and bought or sold about a half dozen guns that take Beretta 92 mags in the past year... I will end up only owning 3, but I have like 25 mags for em.

Life is good when things are all compatible.

Then there are ARs...

I have 10 ten round magazines for my Glock 22's, which I use for range days, and other than that my normal compliment for each gun is 3 magazines for each, and 2 speed loaders for each wheel gun.

I do have a G18 33 round magazine I will use in the G17 or the G26 depending on my mood. Some of my Glock 9mm mags have Pearce extensions, some don't. Just a preference that the one in the gun has the extra room for a good grip, but the ones I use as spares are normally not modified.

I find loading mags to be the tedious aspect of shooting, the less I have to do at the range, the more time I have to shoot.

I also don't think there is such a thing as "too many mags" nor have I ever seen them lose value over the years.

ochpens.jpg

I bought a case lot of 10,000 pens off of Ebay once while I was in the Marines, and I honestly did it just because I was bored and I could. Cost me $60 shipped to Hawaii.

Heh... I should have seen that coming. That's awesome. :)

No offense to the OP, but I think most people are taking your question and relating it to a similar question we've heard recently "Why do you need more than one gun a month ?" And your surprised your getting negative answers?

In addition to the already-mentioned reason about hating to reload at the range (when I shoot IDPA, I generally take 13 pre-loaded mags), I look at magazines as "wear items," like air filters, tires, or serpentine belts. And like air filters, tires, or serpentine belts, I may not be able to buy them some day, whether through onerous legislation (like hicaps) or simply obsolescence (like my grandfather's Winchester Model 77). Life is far too short to screw with a problematic mag, so I tend to be pretty ruthless with magazines that are proven bad actors--they go directly into the trash. Since I look at my guns as possible multiple-lifetime items (I regularly shoot the aforementioned .22 that belonged to my grandfather, as well as a Ruger Blackhawk that belonged to my wife's grandfather.), I don't want to be 15 or 20 years in the future with an AR-15 with one functional magazine. That's one reason why I have a number of NIW magazines in storage, just like I have a bunch of air filters for my 4Runner on the shelf.

I want to know what Timber has to say...[pot]

When I find pre-bans, I buy them. When I put an order together on Brownells or Midway, I will order a pistol mag or 2.

For me, it comes down to, Why not?

Last edited:
i'd answer, but i'd get banned.

[wink][smile] Do it You won't be banned.

This thread is intentionally antagonistic.

Why are you asking in the first place? Why do you care? It's none of your business honestly.

The answer to your OP is obvious. [thinking] [rolleyes]

Last edited:
mostly convenience. i need 3-5 for a few of the pistol games i shoot, and i typically bring ~11-15 mags to rifle matches (8 pre loaded for rapids, 2 spares, 1 single loader mag, 4 extras for new shooters/broken mags/other peoples broken mags.

no such thing as "too prepared"

At least partially because I got caught up in the pre-Sept 04 buying craze.

No one was certain if renewing the 94 AWB was going to happen or not.

Some guys were jacking up their prices... some were looking to unload at bargain prices (if you could call $25.00 - $30.00 for a pre-ban 30 rd AR mag a "bargain").

So... I stocked up and became addicted [smile]

Whenever the opportunity arose, I also jump on great deals that don't come around too often...

10 FAL mags for $70.00 (I bought 10)...

10 M1 Carbine mags for $60.00 (I bought 20)...

75 round Chinese AK drum mags @ $75.00 ea (I bought 3)... etc, you get the idea. [wink]

I don't need that many, but given some of the outlandish prices I've seen floating around, I'd say I made a wise decision (if only I could have forseen the ammo prices/shortages beforehand [sad2])

My only regret, is not buying/stocking up on cheap M-14 mags (even though I don't own an M1-A... which I hope to acquire someday) when they were reasonably priced.

In addition to the already-mentioned reason about hating to reload at the range (when I shoot IDPA, I generally take 13 pre-loaded mags), I look at magazines as "wear items," like air filters, tires, or serpentine belts. And like air filters, tires, or serpentine belts, I may not be able to buy them some day, whether through onerous legislation (like hicaps) or simply obsolescence (like my grandfather's Winchester Model 77). Life is far too short to screw with a problematic mag, so I tend to be pretty ruthless with magazines that are proven bad actors--they go directly into the trash. Since I look at my guns as possible multiple-lifetime items (I regularly shoot the aforementioned .22 that belonged to my grandfather, as well as a Ruger Blackhawk that belonged to my wife's grandfather.), I don't want to be 15 or 20 years in the future with an AR-15 with one functional magazine. That's one reason why I have a number of NIW magazines in storage, just like I have a bunch of air filters for my 4Runner on the shelf.

^^^ This too in addition to my post.....I just didn't feel like typing it all out, Thanks ScottS

No offense to the OP, but I think most people are taking your question and relating it to a similar question we've heard recently "Why do you need more than one gun a month ?" And your surprised your getting negative answers?

Except the one gun a month question is about trying to limit your right to buy things, my questions isn't about limiting rights; its about gaining insight. Just because I don't need 10 mags for the same gun doesn't mean no one else should be able to fulfill their need/desire. Devolve Patrick on the other hand thinks that since he doesn't need more than one a month no one should be able to have more.

[wink][smile] Do it You won't be banned.

This thread is intentionally antagonistic.

Why are you asking in the first place? Why do you care? It's none of your business honestly.

The answer to your OP is obvious. [thinking] [rolleyes]

If its none of my business then don't post responses; there are plenty of other people around here who aren't so paranoid about hidden motives or secrecy who are capable of giving real answers.

Back when I was shooting service rifle competition, I didn't want to spend time between strings loading mags. I wanted to be able focus on what I was doing, and not get distracted. So I bought a pile of 20 round mags, labeled them with great big 2 or 8 stickers, and loaded them with 2 or 8 rounds, respectively.

I need someplace to put all my bullatz.

That and I went to the range with 2 mags for my G22 yesterday. I would have much rather had 5-10 mags.

Hell, if I could get pre-ban HK USP 40 mags for less than 50 bucks a pop from the few MA stores that might actually have them, I'd have at least 10. Even finding them at $50 can be a challenge.

Try a WTB ad in the classifieds. I got some preban P229 mags that way. Someone might have some to spare, worth a shot.

I'll second that. I posted a WTB for preban P228/229 mags earlier in the week and someone PMed me the same day with three of them. It's worth a shot.

Hell, if I could get pre-ban HK USP 40 mags for less than 50 bucks a pop from the few MA stores that might actually have them, I'd have at least 10. Even finding them at $50 can be a challenge.

I'm having the same problem with standard cap USPc 45 mags. So expensive.

So defensive for such a simple question...perhaps we have some SHORTcomings elsewhere we're trying to make up for?

Exactly why i have lots of mags for my AR. If i have a chest rig loaded with 18 mags or 25 mags loaded stacked in my arms, i won't be able to see the little fella and get all depressed.

Last edited:
There we go! I'm glad at least a few of us are capable of answering questions as they were written. I know a lot of you are touchy about people questioning you, but calm down and realize no one is passing judgments or trying to take your property away. I'm glad you got it right milktree, and the few others who gave actual answers instead of "why do women need to vote?" or "BECAUSE I CAN!"

I'm a woman. I vote. Though I don't know why because the same leftist invertebrates seem to slither their way back into office. But that's a discussion for another thread.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the questions that others posted were rhetorical in nature, designed to make you come up with the answer to your own question. You missed your chance.

Personally I wonder why you even asked a question. If you do any practice shooting at all on a regular basis, the answer should be obvious to you.

I'm a woman. I vote. Though I don't know why because the same leftist invertebrates seem to slither their way back into office. But that's a discussion for another thread.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the questions that others posted were rhetorical in nature, designed to make you come up with the answer to your own question. You missed your chance.

Personally I wonder why you even asked a question. If you do any practice shooting at all on a regular basis, the answer should be obvious to you.

This.

Really what is the point?

Last edited:
The OP is trolling. Why would any member here ask this question? Unless they were trying to incite something. Or something else.

Back
Top Bottom