• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why all the fuss about wives/girlfriends not liking guns?

I'd say on a weekly basis around here someone posts about how their wife or girlfriend doesn't like guns and won't let them in the house. Aside from that fact that everyone thinks that they are the first person to have this problem, why is it even a big deal? Can't you just secure the firearms in accordance with MA storage laws and leave them in ANY friend's house? IIRC, the friend doesn't even need an FID/LTC since the guns are properly secured and they do not belong to him. Couldn't I just trigger lock a bunch of rifles and leave them at a non-licensed person's house? Couldn't I leave all the ammo there as well as long as it was locked in a safe? I don't understand how this is confusing.

I think they should all just tell their women that they are going to buy guns and keep them in the house, and if they don't like it, they can STFU and get back in the kitchen and make dinner.

Couldn't I just trigger lock a bunch of rifles and leave them at a non-licensed person's house? Couldn't I leave all the ammo there as well as long as it was locked in a safe? I don't understand how this is confusing.

In a free state there would be no problem. IANAL but I would have to say this would be a huge no-no in MA.

Personally I would not stay in a relationship where I need to ask permission to bring something into my own home.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's one of the easiest solutions, although given how easy gun locks are to pop off, I think a safe might be a better option. What drives me crazy about those threads is the "man up" response. Without knowing the full extent if the relationship and reasoning behind it, that's a BS and totally unhelpful reaction, which is better left unsaid.

When I talked to my wife about getting my LTC and picking up a few new toys. she about laid an egg.
I calmly explained how they would be stored. She looked at me I showed her a couple gun safes on line and all issues went away
We have 3 children ages 3 6 and 10. Her main concern is one any mother would have, safety. As long as you take the proper reasonable steps
and communicate in a way that is easily understandable I think most people would be ok with it

I don't understand it..My girlfriend has no interest in guns at all..but could care less about having them hanging around the house...I never asked her opinion or permission on guns in home the or carrying..I bought some guns then I got my permit, bought a safe and bought more guns...end of story...I don't see what the big deal with is..

Last edited:
I'm no Archie Bunker - I have a profound respect for the fairer sex. I do however have a stock answer for the "Wife/Girlfriend Won't Let Me Have Guns" threads: Man the hell up.... The pussification of the American male is sadly alive and well...The day any woman tells me what I can and can't have in my home is the day I launch myself into space....

I think they should all just tell their women that they are going to buy guns and keep them in the house, and if they don't like it, they can STFU and get back in the kitchen and make dinner.

As long as they are barefoot and with child[wink]

I'm no Archie Bunker - I have a profound respect for the fairer sex. I do however have a stock answer for the "Wife/Girlfriend Won't Let Me Have Guns" threads: Man the hell up.... The pussification of the American male is sadly alive and well...The day any woman tells me what I can and can't have in my home is the day I launch myself into space....

+1

What he said.

If I'm paying for part of the home or contributing to the maintenance & upkeep in a consistent, meaningful way (there are some stay at home mom's who don't contribute through cash) then it's OUR home, not MY home or YOUR home. What goes on there, comes in there has to work for both parties.

This is a separate topic and I apologize for temporarily hijacking the thread.

When I talked to my wife about getting my LTC and picking up a few new toys. she about laid an egg.
I calmly explained how they would be stored. She looked at me I showed her a couple gun safes on line and all issues went away
We have 3 children ages 3 6 and 10. Her main concern is one any mother would have, safety. As long as you take the proper reasonable steps
and communicate in a way that is easily understandable I think most people would be ok with it

This is a very reasonable scenario. Anyone who is in a serious relationship with a SO who will not listen to reason will probably run into many other issues as well (golfing, weekends away, what to wear to their best friend's wedding). If you are not yet married you should consider yourself lucky. You still have time to make a decision before you take a very big step in your life.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's one of the easiest solutions, although given how easy gun locks are to pop off, I think a safe might be a better option. What drives me crazy about those threads is the "man up" response. Without knowing the full extent if the relationship and reasoning behind it, that's a BS and totally unhelpful reaction, which is better left unsaid.

I don't think it's completely unhelpful in all cases.... in a lot of cases, the man being a wussbag about it is a core part of the problem. Some men require a kick in the ass, validation, or empathy,
to do something.

"Manning up" doesn't have to be something extreme... it can be a simple as making steps to move
things in the right direction instead of nothing changing.

This is a problem that has to be dealt with head on, even if it takes a long time to do so. Failure to
do so will result in serious problems later on in the relationship... if one partner gives up their guns,
what will the other person ALSO make them give up later?

-Mike

I don't understand it..My girlfriend has no interest in guns at all..but could care less about having them hanging around the house...I never asked her opinion or permission on guns in the home or carrying..I bought some guns then I got my permit, bought a safe and bought more guns...end of story...I don't see what the big deal with is..

you must be crazy too... [laugh] because any woman in her right mind would NOT let her man buy what he wanted, dress to his taste and do things he liked... [devil2]

all BS aside, anyone who I mate with know's im the alpha.... [rofl][rofl]

ok, seriously... the _______ isn't the issue. it's miss directed anger / trust issues....

as in "you will NOT buy a motorcycle because bla bla bla bla"

"you will NOT buy that tool set because bla bla bla bla"

"no way in hell you are wearing those white pants after September 1st, are you crazy?"

i seldomly get crap because i don't take anything seriously.... go figure [grin]

I would think issues like this would be ironed out beforehand, but maybe some people have something happen to them or see a story in the news that makes them want to be a gun owner. Any female gun owners have the same issue with a husband not liking firearms in the home?

If I'm paying for part of the home or contributing to the maintenance & upkeep in a consistent, meaningful way (there are some stay at home mom's who don't contribute through cash) then it's OUR home, not MY home or YOUR home. What goes on there, comes in there has to work for both parties.

This is a separate topic and I apologize for temporarily hijacking the thread.

Not in my world...While I agree with the "our home" concept, I still maintain that I will not be told what I can and can't have in "our" home - especially guns. Hence: Man up....

I've had long guns for many years, but I'm so happy that it was my wife who came to me after Katrina and said...

"Shouldn't we start buying some handguns?"

I love her like crazy and am grateful that I don't have the wife/girlfriend problem about guns.

I'd know what to do about it though, if I did.

I have a friend who always tells me that he thinks guns are 'ok' and that he would like to have one in his house. Then he tells me that his wife, who grew up with a father who kept guns, insists that they don't keep any in the house. I think he's full of bs. I honestly think he's the one that's to blame.

ETA isn't this the kind of issue you should iron out while you're dating/engaged?

Yup.

There was one time in this Country that every Man, Woman and Child had a firearm and knew how to use it.
Mostly because they HAD to.

I Guess I'm lucky because I have a Woman that has a Clue. But, it's not luck. She has an LTC-A no restrictions BTW.

To all you guys out there that suffer with this teach them or just become european.

Back
Top Bottom