Why all the fuss about wives/girlfriends not liking guns?

It's the same guys that have to "ask the boss" if they can go outside and play.They seem almost proud that they have a boss,at home..and at work..They are being bossed around their entire lives.

You know the type,everyone is having a good time and some guy gets a call on his cell and he steps away for a minute and you over hear the following:

"Hi..Ya,still here...I don't know,about an hour..Whatever you want I'm not that hungry...Ya sure,some milk,and butter...Probably about an hour..Ok I'll leave now.."

I've had long guns for many years, but I'm so happy that it was my wife who came to me after Katrina and said...

"Shouldn't we start buying some handguns?"

I love her like crazy and am grateful that I don't have the wife/girlfriend problem about guns.

I'd know what to do about it though, if I did.

I'm in the same boat, just lucky I guess. Hell, my wife started before I did with handguns.

I must drive my wife crazy, if I'm futzing around the house too much she'll say "Don't you want to go to the range or something?!?!?"

It's the same guys that have to "ask the boss" if they can go outside and play.They seem almost proud that they have a boss,at home..and at work..They are being bossed around their entire lives.

You know the type,everyone is having a good time and some guy gets a call on his cell and he steps away for a minute and you over hear the following:

"Hi..Ya,still here...I don't know,about an hour..Whatever you want I'm not that hungry...Ya sure,some milk,and butter...Probably about an hour..Ok I'll leave now.."

Ayup...

I guess I'm lucky, my girl doesn't really care one way or the other. She doesn't like shooting anything bigger than a .22 though ;)

It took almost a year for my wife to warm up to me teaching our youngest (6 years old) to shoot. Well, next month she gets her first rifle - a Cricket... in pink of course.

In her case all it took was here seeing another kid shoot at the last Mansfield NES shoot. I think what she wanted was some validation that other dads do this kind of stuff with their daughters.

I'm no Archie Bunker - I have a profound respect for the fairer sex. I do however have a stock answer for the "Wife/Girlfriend Won't Let Me Have Guns" threads: Man the hell up.... The pussification of the American male is sadly alive and well...The day any woman tells me what I can and can't have in my home is the day I launch myself into space....

It ain't just girlfriends. I was dating a guy a while back. Well we ended up on his couch. Stupid me totally forgot about my pistol. We were getting a bit frisky. He put his hand on my pistol and asked "What's this?"

Well I was in the heat of the moment, so I said something dumb like "oh that's just my gun..."

You could have heard a pin drop before he said "YOU BROUGHT A GUN INTO MY HOUSE???????"

Well shit, the jig was up man! Heh, heh. So I said "Yeah, don't worry about it. You're safe with me. Let's get back to what we were doing."

And we did. [smile]

It ain't just women that get uptight about guns, my friends. [laugh]

He and I are just friends now. But we initially clashed over guns again and again after that initial situation. He had this stupid hippy dippy attitude and kept asking "why do you need a gun?" Well that went on until the machete murder over in Mont Vernon, NH.

Suddenly, having a gun wasn't such a bad idea. [laugh]

And there have been a few other times when he's been glad I carry. We were walking through these woods one time and there was this weird guy with a fire and some large crosses around him. It was really freaky. He didn't bother us, we went by him. But as we got a distance away, my friend said "You know, I'm glad you have a gun." I smiled and said "Yep, me too!"
[grin]

So it goes...

Guess I am lucky... My GF paid for the NRA class for her and I and then bought herself a .22 handgun, 12gauge Mossberg and a Ruger 10/22. Then she gave me money for a Mosquito Two Tone that I am picking up tomorrow. AND she leaves the Ruger and The Mossberg at my house and is now asking me to teach her to ride a motorcycle because she is sick of being unconfortable on the back of mine and wants her own.

The only catch is I have to take her to the range when she wants and I am not to expect any other gifts this year for any occasion.... Fine With Me!!! [smile]

We have to be careful though...many times the "bitchy" girlfriend/wife is not mad about a gun...she's mad about a $1200 purchase, etc. I have no less than 2 shooting acquaintances who went on tirades about what a bitch their wife/girlfriend was because "she wanted no more guns in the house"...and the REAL issue was they honestly needed the money for more pressing issues (it wasn't like they didn't have a firearm for defensive purposes). Oh, and in both cases it wasn't a case of "well a gun is different than shoes"; it was a case of the wife curbing her purchases and wanting the husband to do the same...

Anyway, just feel out that situation before joining in on the criticism.

I am willing to bet the wives that flat out say no way do it on more issues than just guns.

Agreed, this is a respect/boundary issue more than a gun issue IMO.

I would think issues like this would be ironed out beforehand

isn't this the kind of issue you should iron out while you're dating/engaged?

I'm young and single; my guns are not negotiable in a relationship, and girls know that up front. But I know people who didn't want guns until they had kids, lived through a natural disaster, saw a movie where they looked cool, etc. If you're already in, it's hard to change the rules. Kind of like signing a mortgage on a house in MA/NY/CA/MD/IL before you got into guns...I'm sure there's some here in that boat as well.

We have to be careful though...many times the "bitchy" girlfriend/wife is not mad about a gun...she's mad about a $1200 purchase, etc.

One more thing; I refuse to cheat on my (future) wife with guns, lying and sneaking around to cover things up. If that's not a danger sign then I don't know what is. Honesty is key in a relationship.

Before we were even married I bought my wife a 243. She asked what it was for so I told her it was hers and she needed to do her part and help put food on the table. She never batted an eye.

Guns are a part of me. Always have been and always will be. That being said if you want your wife or girlfriend to strip away who you are I don't feel bad for you. Try putting the shoe on the other foot and tell her you don't approve of something she likes. It's a two way street. The minute it's not you lose and guess who's fault it is.

I've never told a woman that she could or couldn't do something or have something. Never. Either I can live with something, or I can't. If I can't, I leave.

A woman telling me I can't do or have something is one of the things I can't live with.

I'd say on a weekly basis around here someone posts about how their wife or girlfriend doesn't like guns and won't let them in the house. Aside from that fact that everyone thinks that they are the first person to have this problem, why is it even a big deal? Can't you just secure the firearms in accordance with MA storage laws and leave them in ANY friend's house? IIRC, the friend doesn't even need an FID/LTC since the guns are properly secured and they do not belong to him. Couldn't I just trigger lock a bunch of rifles and leave them at a non-licensed person's house? Couldn't I leave all the ammo there as well as long as it was locked in a safe? I don't understand how this is confusing.

Is this a joke or are you serious?

I'd say on a weekly basis around here someone posts about how their wife or girlfriend doesn't like guns and won't let them in the house. Aside from that fact that everyone thinks that they are the first person to have this problem, why is it even a big deal? Can't you just secure the firearms in accordance with MA storage laws and leave them in ANY friend's house? IIRC, the friend doesn't even need an FID/LTC since the guns are properly secured and they do not belong to him. Couldn't I just trigger lock a bunch of rifles and leave them at a non-licensed person's house? Couldn't I leave all the ammo there as well as long as it was locked in a safe? I don't understand how this is confusing.

I own firearms for defensive purposes. Bump in the night turns into a drugged up burglar downstairs?
To be said to burglar in loud clear voice so he understands
"HOLD ON....Let me go to my friends house and get my gun!
In the meantime just a few things: please don't attack/kill/rape my girlfriend, if you get a drink please use a coaster, and bup bup bup! shoes OFF mister! Sorry but house rules![/I]"

To all you guys out there that suffer with this teach them or just become european.

This sort of touches on a question I've been asking myself lately. My old flame from Ireland may actually move here in the near future to be with me. She is completely against anybody carrying guns. Understandable because of the culture in her country of course, but I don't feel that I should stop carrying a pistol every day of my life (which I've been doing for almost 10 years) because of her views. I love her very much and would be thrilled to have her move here and get a house together, but I wonder if this would become a big issue between us. She's never known anyone who carries a firearm. Even law enforcement in Ireland do not carry. She'll be here in a month to visit for 10 days and I've already told her that I have no problem going unarmed at least while we're staying on the Cape. I'm kicking myself now for offering that up because why should I even give her an inch? (no jokes please ;0) I plan on taking her up to Salem, MA and maybe to VT to see Burlington and I will be carrying then.

Long story short, I guess my best plan of action is to explain that if she does move here, it will not change my carrying a firearm. So for all you other members who followed my threads about her and told me something along the lines of: "Do whatever it takes to be with her! Life is too short and true love only comes once!", what would you suggest if she refuses to live with a man who carries a gun?

Last edited:
find a Georgia Peach (or other Southern Belle) like I did. Though she doesn't shoot, she has absolutely no objections to my gun enthusiasm - and doesn't seem to mind when I leave gun parts all over the place.

I'm no Archie Bunker - I have a profound respect for the fairer sex. I do however have a stock answer for the "Wife/Girlfriend Won't Let Me Have Guns" threads: Man the hell up.... The pussification of the American male is sadly alive and well...The day any woman tells me what I can and can't have in my home is the day I launch myself into space....

or...
it is the day that she has something that you want, more than what she says you can't have. [laugh] [popcorn][slap]

stage a "fake robbery" ??? -just saying [wink]

all BS aside, i don't know IF i would have done that....

it's too easy to armchair quarterback for those with pro-2A flames, mistresses, wives, girlfriends ect... that's a tough one.

i don't think i'd get rid of my guns for anyone. if i did, you'd know i was truly in [STRIKE]love[/STRIKE] whipped... [laugh] i think there are men who want to be controlled, usually mama's boys, and then there are plenty of women out there who will gladly fill that role in those mens lives...

for the rest of us, it's give and take... be it jealousy, lack of understanding, lack of trust, fear ect. ect. ect.

some people just like power, they don't get their "control" high at work so they outlet it to their children, husbands, girlfriends ect.... big ego's, lack of self confidence....

i'd go to counseling if were any of those guys (or girls) in this situation.... [grin]

This sort of touches on a question I've been asking myself lately. My old flame from Ireland may actually move here in the near future to be with me. She is completely against anybody carrying guns. Understandable because of the culture in her country of course, but I don't feel that I should stop carrying a pistol every day of my life (which I've been doing for almost 10 years) because of her views. I love her very much and would be thrilled to have her move here and get a house together, but I wonder if this would become a big issue between us. She's never known anyone who carries a firearm. Even law enforcement in Ireland do not carry. She'll be here in a month to visit for 10 days and I've already told her that I have no problem going unarmed at least while we're staying on the Cape. I'm kicking myself now for offering that up because why should I even give her an inch? (no jokes please ;0) I plan on taking her up to Salem, MA and maybe to VT to see Burlington and I will be carrying then.

Long story short, I guess my best plan of action is to explain that if she does move here, it will not change my carrying a firearm. So for all you other members who followed my threads about her and told me something along the lines of: "Do whatever it takes to be with her! Life is too short and true love only comes once!", what would you suggest if she refuses to live with a man who carries a gun?

Back
Top Bottom