• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who carries a .380?

Who carries a .380

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 59 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 183 47.9%
  • I don't own one

Votes: 96 25.1%
  • I would never carry a .380

Votes: 44 11.5%

• Total voters
.380 is a popular round in FL.
I have friends in AZ who also swear by it and carry it regularly
If you are in an area where lightweight clothing is the norm, .380 will punch thru it and do the job as long as you are using a quality self defense round IMHO
My neighbor has two Bursa Thunder .380's and he swears by them....
Can you define the words in red?

Is it popular because light clothing or is it popular because people are wearing shorts all day and it is lighter / easier to conceal?
I'm thinking most certainly the latter.

If you can easily carry something better its 110% laze. I am guilty as anyone else here btw but at least ill admit it.
OK, but what is better? Smaller? Larger caliber? I'd say, and I think you admitted the Kahr PM9 is about the smallest, lightest semi auto 9mm. The only 9mm as small might be the LCR 9mm. The 365 is a great gun, but it isn't a pocket gun, especially with light weight summer shorts with a drawstring and no belt. It comes down to weight and pocketability, and .380 seems to win up until the PM9. I just need to try one out, or I would have one right now based on that fact alone, plus they are good quality, and known for having a good trigger.

Last edited:
.380 is a popular round in FL.

I have friends in AZ who also swear by it and carry it regularly

If you are in an area where lightweight clothing is the norm, .380 will punch thru it and do the job as long as you are using a quality self defense round IMHO

My neighbor has two Bursa Thunder .380's and he swears by them....

A 7+1 Bersa Thunder in .380 is still a physically larger and heavier gun than a 10+1 P365. I think I'd stick with the P365.

Untitled-1.jpg

Made a few minor edits. Got rid of the bulk (useless plastic) under the barrel/slide, and at the back.

This is clearly some type of advanced humor that is going way over my head.

But if it isn't, I use that part to hold me TLR6. So not completely useless. Just stupid because it is proprietary.

OK, but what is better? Smaller? Larger caliber? I'd say, and I think you admitted the Kahr PM9 is about the smallest, lightest semi auto 9mm. The only 9mm as small might be the LCR 9mm. The 365 is a great gun, but it isn't a pocket gun, especially with light weight summer shorts with a drawstring and no belt. It comes down to weight and pocketability, and .380 seems to win up until the PM9. I just need to try one out, or I would have one right now based on that fact alone, plus they are good quality, and known for having a good trigger.

I made this point because you've been dancing around your chosen carry method. If you're on a beltline carrying a compromise gun is stupid unless its a deep cover deal or you're forced to wear some shitty belt thats less than ideal for carry, etc. Compromise guns are for things like pocket/ankle carry that kind of thing.

Also WTF are "lightweight summer shorts"? I spent years carrying a G19 in the middle of the summer and I usually just had cargo shorts with a belt. Wear a belt. [rofl]

I guess its a perspective thing. Shorts without a belt = made up problem that makes carrying a gun more annoying than it needs to be because of a shitty clothing choice. [rofl]

Or frankly instead of all this dancing you could have just bought something and seen whether it worked or not. That's what everyone else does in the rest of the world. "willt his do what I want it to do? probably. OK fine. " this isnt a 10K rolex or something its a cheap handgun we're talking about here.

because you've been dancing around your chosen carry method.
Ever consider I want both? Yes, people wear more than one type of clothing in New England throughout the year.

During the Summer, I'd absolutely LOVE a 9mm 365, but just a little smaller, to fit in a pocket, like the size of a LCP II or a small revolver and not much else does. A "regular" 365 will do for "belt carry" on pants with belts, as would many other guns. The 365 would also be OK for Spring and Fall most likely. But this time of year until around April, a full sized .357 will work under a big sweatshirt.

... you could have just bought something and seen whether it worked or not. ...
I guess you never considered that maybe I did, quite a while ago, and it does work for now, though I feel limited by not being a larger caliber I would prefer. You've got to learn to move on. I'm trying for the next thing now. Also planning for Spring.

Last edited:
@Coyote33 I must've bought at least a half dozen compromise guns like that in my life.. You know what happens with all of them? they usually end up collecting dust most of the
time because I find normal guns more shootable and easier to deal with. Everyone is different obviously. But when I had shit like the Seecamp 32, or my LCP? It only ever got used on weird occasions. Like "oh I have a hoodie with a gutter in it, and im too lazy to get the shit together for gun ex, so ill just throw my LCP in the hoodie and go wherever and come home" etc but thats like a 2% use case. Most of the time when I'm carrying a gun I am going to go with something that comes off a belt because the whole affair is less retarded than the other options are.

I carry the same gun in the same place year round. It's simpler that way. In the summer, the outfit is usually shorts and a T shirt. The gun is a .45auto. No problem. The only time anyone will see it is when they're looking at the wrong end of it.

Screw .380. I'm only interested in .308 pistols

TC-Encore-Pro-Hunter-308-Pistol.jpg

Kinda looks like a PPK. Is that a licensing thing? Not gonna lie. I still want a PPK despite all the terrible things I hear about them. My childhood Bond fascination dictates that I buy one eventually.
I owned a Bersa 380CC for a while. Utterly reliable but got rid of it cause didn't want to keep 380. Kicked more than a 380 should though prob cause of the straight blow back

Thought about this thread today when I just happened to have my very last remaining .380 handy…

View attachment 698839

Tip-top concealable technology with excellent stopping power… for 1921.

I’d gotten over my desire for a .380. Then I read an article in American Rifkeman recently that makes me want a Browning 10/22. I was resisting well. Now you’ve got me itching again.

Back
Top Bottom