• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Knot is the Knotiest?

All of the above are useful but the knot that has bettered civilization the most and rid the world of more evil is the standard hangman's noose.
Meh.

If I was planning on hanging anyone? I'd use a bowline for that, too. Just tie the thing, put the standing end through the loop, and toss it over a tree. Done.

Got a picture of the handle?

Sailor here, there are a few more that might be applied depending on how the handle was tied initially.

Bowline, square knot/reef knot, two half hitches, figure 8 (a stopper type knot), Clove Hitch, Sheet Bend.

The Halyard Hitch might be the one you want.

Trucker’s Hitch and related Sheepshank are more specialized but very useful.

Meh.

If I was planning on hanging anyone? I'd use a bowline for that, too. Just tie the thing, put the standing end through the loop, and toss it over a tree. Done.
...or a simple noose knot, not the more complex hangman's knot. The bowline won't slip like the noose knot. You don't want the hangee to suffer too much......I think.

...or a simple noose knot, not the more complex hangman's knot. The bowline won't slip like the noose knot. You don't want the hangee to suffer too much......I think.

Oh. No, that’s why I’d put the standing end back through the loop, to make a slip knot.

In the westerns they always give the guy a short ride on a horse. Jack.

Use a bowline and look like you know what you’re doing. Don’t be one of those guys running the tieAlotknot.

Was just going to post this. Two knots that every handy fella ought-ta know. I learned them when I worked in a kayak shop for a summer and we had to tie the boats to the trailer. The alpine butterfly can be useful too.

I like alpine butterfly for my tarp shelters, to hang my battery lantern from the roof line. I actually have a quick deploy shelter, tarp and 550 cord. Figure-8 and caribiner with tree strap on one side comes out of the bag first, 14' of 550 cord with the alpine butterfly in the middle, then a bowline for the base of a trucker's hitch and another tree strap on the other side. 4 tent stakes with trucker's hitch tiedowns and 6' leads for each corner in the bottom of the bag. Recently switched to bright orange paracord leaders so I stop tripping in the dark. Can put up an 8x10 tarp in about a minute, and practice regularly in bad conditions. It's great, bad weather comes in and all the dayladies run to starbucks while I get the mountain all to myself.

Last edited:
I didn't love the durability of the FG when traveling through guides the few times I used it. It's also a bit of a pain in the ass to when underway, IMO. I love the crazy Alberto for consistent solid performance, durability and ease of retying for braid to leader knots.

For the OP, definitely bowline.

Bowline for the win. You can even tie two lines of different diameters by connecting them through the loops of the bowline.

This is advice from a sailor, I'm sure some mountain or cliff climber will have other suggestions. I had to be able to tie one behind one behind my back before one captain would let me crew for him. It's a bowline that Hooper was tying to the barrel on Jaws.

the bowline I tied on the front of our boat in 2004 is still holding. its only tied up 4 months out of the year tho

Bowline when I want a loop that will untie after a hard pull.
Tautline hitch for when I want a loop that will slide but not slip when under (some) tension. In the Scouts it's all we used for lines to tent stakes because we could slide to adjust the length.
Fisherman's knot when I want to connect 2 ropes.
Square knot (reef knot): almost never. Only when I feel lazy and a crappy knot will do.

ETA: @CoastieRon, please report to the training deck.

Back
Top Bottom