Which Knot is the Knotiest?

I'm not a knot guy. I've seen people that know 30 different knots off the top of their head and their different uses, which amazes me.
What's my best knot for this use: kids boogy board. The handle pulled off. Two strings from the board to attach to. Never have to untie.

If you don't have input on this particular problem, post your favorite knot.

20220220_135719.jpg

Bowline for the win. You can even tie two lines of different diameters by connecting them through the loops of the bowline.

This is advice from a sailor, I'm sure some mountain or cliff climber will have other suggestions. I had to be able to tie one behind one behind my back before one captain would let me crew for him. It's a bowline that Hooper was tying to the barrel on Jaws.

Last edited:
Bowline for the win. You can even tie two lines of different diameters by connecting them through the loops of the bowline.

This is advice from a sailor, I'm sure some mountain or cliff climber will have other suggestions

You can't tie a Bowline unless you have a rabbit with you to go around the tree and into the hole. Jack.

This is advice from a sailor, I'm sure some mountain or cliff climber will have other suggestions

Yup, haven't tied one in years. I think I need some retraining

If you were tying fishing lures, use a uni-to-uni knot to tie main line to leader. There's a new FG knot that people like for this.

For terminal tackle you can't beat a palomar knot, but it's difficult if the lure or rig is big. In that case a Trilene knot is preferred.

Loop knot if you want your crank or jerkbait to have better action.

In your case, you might try that Trilene Knot. Key will be tying it without having your tag end really long (wasted)

Attachments

• trilene_knot.jpg
    trilene_knot.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 22
The bowline is the most useful knot I know, bar none.

I can't tell what you're trying to secure that line to on the boogie board, OP. If you need a loop, a bowline or a wireman's knot will work. If you're securing it TO something, a square knot is fine too; just make sure you secure each end with a half-hitch.

This is advice from a sailor, I'm sure some mountain or cliff climber will have other suggestions. I had to be able to tie one behind one behind my back before one captain would let me crew for him. It's a bowline that Hooper was tying to the barrel on Jaws.

I used to know a lot. I forgot many. I won't step onto the deck of a ship with a person responsible for holding a line or being an active player unless they know how to tie a bowline.

When I first learned it. I was told "it's the knot you need to know to be pulled out of a hole in the ground. ".

Son is still struggling with tieing his shoes, but he can do a bowline.

We use it on all of our sled tow ropes and that plus a half hitch will sort on any tarp.

I'm not a knot guy. I've seen people that know 30 different knots off the top of their head and their different uses, which amazes me.
What's my best knot for this use: kids boogy board. The handle pulled off. Two strings from the board to attach to. Never have to untie.

If you don't have input on this particular problem, post your favorite knot.

View attachment 579808
I can't quite see what you're trying to reattach in this photo. But you probably want either a follow through figure 8 loop, or a follow through figure 8 bend, depending on what you're trying to do here.

Bowline is only good for something that stays under tension. Repeated slack and tension cycles will undo a bowline. A reef knot is always an abomination and is almost never the answer for anything remotely important.

Bowline and trucker's hitch are two I use frequently, but there are several others I use occasionally.
It's not uncommon for me to have a 4 foot piece of rope in my hands to practice knots while I watch a movie or while having a cigar in my shop.
I put knot skills way up on the list of things you should be practicing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom