Which Knot is the Knotiest?

A bit off topic but when I was a boy, a friend handed out a rag called the daily shopper. He rolled them up and put an elastic band on each one. One day he made a rubber ball with the bands and I wanted to do one as well. He gave me a bag of elastics and after supper I started to make a ball. Taking two bands to start the ball, I tried to tie them together and when I pulled them tight they came undone. To my shock and amazement the were looped together. I showed everyone in the house and nobody believed that it happened. It was pretty cool to me.

There are some very good specialty knots, like the bowline. I started thinking about the best knot to know to avoid memorizing a bunch of knots and drew my own conclusion. It's hasn't been peer reviewed, but I did stay at a Hoilday Inn last night. There might be a discussion on it in some knot forum online, but not that I know.

If you only learn one knot, you should learn the Strangle Knot. AKA The Double Overhand.

Why?
  1. It's easy to tie and remember.
  2. It's already in popular use, so many knot people know it. e.g.:
    1. Two of the most popular knots are the Bowline and Double Fisherman's. Since the latter uses a Strangle Knot, many already know it.
    2. Climbers tie into their harness with it
  3. You can apply it to a lot of different knot types
    1. Stopper: Strangle is a stopper
    2. Permanent slip loop: Poacher's knot. This is a good spot to admit a strangle knot can't do all things. A Running Bowline is a very useful alternative to the Poacher's knot, but see below*!
    3. Bend: Double Fisherman's
    4. Fixed loop by tying a Double Fisherman's Loop.
      View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyvEk8y5g_k
      1. We're assuming one knot, but I think most will agree Bowline wins over a Double Fisherman's Loop.
    5. Securing/finishing another knot. *Bowline fans (if you read this far, you probably are) should secure the end with a strangle knot unless it's always under load.

My personal favorites: Strangle knot, Bowline, Running Bowline, Alpine butterfly/bend, Clove hitch, Trucker's hitch, and Ian's knot. (Yes, I have tied my shoelaces this way for more than 10 years.) I climb and boat so Figure 8 Loop and Cleat get a lot of mileage.

Balloon knot.

The fact it took 38 post for someone to say this, disappoints me.

And I’ll add my fave. A Bowline. Mainly because that’s the first knot I learned to tie.

Been attempting to learn a bunch of new skills the past year. Knots, foraging, small game hunting, deer hunting, archery, to list a few.

Since I don't know what I'm looking at in the photo, I'll go further afield with the Eldritch (Eldridge) Knot
iu

or, dressed another way
iu

Wow. how long does that tie need to be to tie that???

and do they make a clip-on...???

Wow. how long does that tie need to be to tie that???

and do they make a clip-on...???
Normal length. It doesn't slip, so you set the length of the face, then bury the tail under your collar. If the tail is too long, you could stack another layer...

Never seen a clip on for it, but there might be a market...

You can't tie a Bowline unless you have a rabbit with you to go around the tree and into the hole. Jack.
I was "first make the loop blah blah blah" for 30-35 years
(although I didn't descend to the level of
"the rabbit and the tree and the hole" even in the Scouts).

And then I saw my Tuesday night boat's captain's brother make a bowline
while holding on in chop one night,
and realized it's simpler than they let on.

He sort of punched the standing line,
his hands flashed briefly,
and it was made.

Gross Motor Skills Bowline​

1-1.jpg

You hold the standing part in your left hand,
hold the bitter end in your right hand,
punch the bitter end against the standing part,
and follow through with your wrist to point the bitter end
towards you like you're gonna get gut-shot;
then bring the bitter end up through the Big Loop.

Viola, you're already at the middle picture,
and you didn't screw around "making" the Little Loop -
you just punched the rope with the rope.

When you keep flipping and the bitter end is pointing
away from you, parallel to the standing part,
you've made the Little Loop and the bitter end is all set
for the final bight around the standing part ("tree")
and going home into the Little Loop ("down the hole").

Not sure what is the knotiest, but when I need a knot I find this resource incredibly helpful ‎Knots 3D "Knots3d". (I have no pecuniary interest in this app.)
You must be a ham radio guy 😂
WRTC2014 volunteers who knew how to tie a bowline and a tautline hitch
got to erect antenna towers.

WRTC2014 volunteers who didn't know how to tie a bowline and a tautline hitch
got to erect tents and toilets.

Maybe not a knot, but in the scouts we tied this thing called a Turks Head. Jack.
Sounds dirty.

Meh.

If I was planning on hanging anyone? I'd use a bowline for that, too. Just tie the thing, put the standing end through the loop, and toss it over a tree. Done.
Running bowline.
Running-Bowline.jpg

Ever see Saddam Hussein's cat?
Saddams+Cat.gif

In the westerns they always give the guy a short ride on a horse. Jack.
2kindpeople-goodbandugly-rope.gif

Bowline and taught line are my go to knots
Where were you when we needed you?

i think both spellings are ok. i assumed you were a salt guy because bowline on a bite is often used for mooring.
I sail a little but not for that. Sometimes you need a loop in the middle of the rope.
Bowline on a bite is a good way to tie into the middle of a rope without using the ends. GOOD for search and rescue to tie into.
I used to be able to do it one handed, I dont I even remember how to do now just thinking about it

One thing about knots is a perishable skill, ie it goes bad unless you practice.

I was "first make the loop blah blah blah" for 30-35 years
(although I didn't descend to the level of
"the rabbit and the tree and the hole" even in the Scouts).

And then I saw my Tuesday night boat's captain's brother make a bowline
while holding on in chop one night,
and realized it's simpler than they let on.

He sort of punched the standing line,
his hands flashed briefly,
and it was made.

Gross Motor Skills Bowline​

1-1.jpg

You hold the standing part in your left hand,
hold the bitter end in your right hand,
punch the bitter end against the standing part,
and follow through with your wrist to point the bitter end
towards you like you're gonna get gut-shot;
then bring the bitter end up through the Big Loop.

Viola, you're already at the middle picture,
and you didn't screw around "making" the Little Loop -
you just punched the rope with the rope.

When you keep flipping and the bitter end is pointing
away from you, parallel to the standing part,
you've made the Little Loop and the bitter end is all set
for the final bight around the standing part ("tree")
and going home into the Little Loop ("down the hole").

WRTC2014 volunteers who knew how to tie a bowline and a tautline hitch
got to erect antenna towers.

WRTC2014 volunteers who didn't know how to tie a bowline and a tautline hitch
got to erect tents and toilets.

Sounds dirty.

Running bowline.
Running-Bowline.jpg

Ever see Saddam Hussein's cat?
Saddams+Cat.gif

2kindpeople-goodbandugly-rope.gif

Where were you when we needed you?
as a person who can tie a bowline and a tautline, those MFers who can't are welcome to stay away from my tent thankyouverymuch.

Of course, the lines for my tent are eyespliced at one end, with a tautline at the other. And they stay that way, so I can just throw lines at helpers and say "one end on the stake, the other on the pin; pull tight."

Yes the bowline as AHM shows it above. If done by that method or slightly modified it can be done one handed with some practice. No rabbit except in the stew pot. That has confused people for centuries.
The other one I use a lot to create loop points for pulling trees etc. with a winch is the Alpine Butterfly as mentioned by several others. This is a decent video for it that I keep on my phone to remind me how to do it. Not getting it right requires a lot more work getting the knot out than taking the time to review.

View: https://youtu.be/dY33TPXTZN4?t=127

as a person who can tie a bowline and a tautline, those MFers who can't are welcome to stay away from my tent thankyouverymuch.

Of course, the lines for my tent are eyespliced at one end, with a tautline at the other. And they stay that way, so I can just throw lines at helpers and say "one end on the stake, the other on the pin; pull tight."
My tent smells...

When I was in school working on my math degree I took a class in Knot Theory. The professor was a bit of a cutup and his course description was:
“the mathematical study of whether a knot is a knot or not”. Turns out, in the mathematics of knots (which actually is very useful in comparing economic models) any knot that can be untied is not really a knot.

Of course, the lines for my tent are eyespliced at one end, with a tautline at the other. ...
All ours are bowline plus tautline (or bowline plus tensioner).
Antenna raising please :cool:

My tent smells...
Wow; how big is it?
Portable-Play-Kids-Tent-Animal-Bee-Elephant-Long-nose-tunnel-tent-Children-Indoor-Outdoor-Ocean-Ball.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

When I was in school working on my math degree I took a class in Knot Theory. The professor was a bit of a cutup and his course description was:
“the mathematical study of whether a knot is a knot or not”. Turns out, in the mathematics of knots (which actually is very useful in comparing economic models) any knot that can be untied is not really a knot.
Meh, weak.
Harvard Math21a: No knots in 4D

Thanks for the vid AHM.

One of my local clubs is planning a raising a new antenna this spring with dedicated direction towards Europe, using the same technique as in your video. We plan to use this donated anchor. Of course, to keep in spirit with this thread, we will be using many of the knotiest knots ;)

IMG_0667.jpg

get a 2 ft section of 3/8 line (hint it is not rope) and practice while watching TV. I taught sailing lessons for a couple of seasons and you need to have something to teach on rainy days.....

get a 2 ft section of 3/8 line (hint it is not rope) and practice while watching TV. I taught sailing lessons for a couple of seasons and you need to have something to teach on rainy days.....
It’s rope until it’s on a boat and then it becomes line.

The only rope on a boat is on the ship’s bell.

The only rope on a boat is on the ship’s bell.
I will take your comments under advisement and wait for a ruling from @CoastieRon

All ours are bowline plus tautline (or bowline plus tensioner).

Wow; how big is it?
Portable-Play-Kids-Tent-Animal-Bee-Elephant-Long-nose-tunnel-tent-Children-Indoor-Outdoor-Ocean-Ball.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Meh, weak.
Harvard Math21a: No knots in 4D

In a past life, I bought one of these; so I decided it deserved the time to make myself some fancy lines after building the poles.
wall_tents.jpg
For everyone else, I use a bowline and a tautline (though many prefer the tensioner)

Thanks for the vid AHM.
De nada. More importantly...

One of my local clubs is planning a raising a new antenna this spring ...
(Like the sellers say at NEAR-Fest), You Need This:

Get everyone who is in on the design and construction
studying Jim/K1IR's resource now - not the night before the erection.

In particular, I expect that there are multiple club/hamfest videos
of Jim giving his talk, and I don't know which is best. Might as well
pick the most recent - whichever that is. He's squared away,
so it's not like I'd expect him to accidentally omit something crucial.

There is an another exception.
4d37cc7c8ca97784070e30c9ae220812.jpg

In a past life, I bought one of these; so I decided it deserved the time to make myself some fancy lines after building the poles.
wall_tents.jpg
Seems so formal.
4c207455a47a9326729e562f97977c7b.jpg

For everyone else, I use a bowline and a tautline (though many prefer the tensioner)
If a tent's lines come with tensioners attached,
I'm not going to remove them just to use a knot instead.

I do a magic trick where I swallow a piece of string and it comes out tied...I shit you knot
tumblr_nd3hjd8wGq1r8swmoo4_500.gifv

Back
Top Bottom