Which Gas PistonTo Buy?

Leaving work in 30 minutes to buy one but which to get?

Sig556 Swat for $1754
M&P15T for $1500
Ruger SR556 for $1499
Sig556 Classic collap stock $1299
M&P15 no sights $999

I'm going to stick with sights and no scope and also have to take into consideration the 5 free mags S&W is giving away.

I would go with the S&W w/o sights, then get a set of your choice.

Solely based on name recognition. I have never had an issue with any of my S&W's

The Sig or the Ruger would be your best choice since the M&P 15T isn't a piston gun. The only M&P piston guns are the PS & PSX. Now if they have the PS or PSX I'd go with those over the Sig or Ruger.

The Sig or the Ruger would be your best choice since the M&P 15T isn't a piston gun. The only M&P piston guns are the PS & PSX. Now if they have the PS or PSX I'd go with those over the Sig or Ruger.

Good point. I assumed he was referring to the M&P15's with the AA piston kit installed. (PS & PSX) [smile]

None of the above. Wait a little bit and buy an XCR from Robinson Arms. Well made. Reliable. Good ergonomics. Crappy trigger, but they're working on an upgrade. And you have the option of subsequently buying a conversion unit, swapping out the barrel and the bolt and shooting 7.62 x 39 or 6.5 rounds.[grin]

One thing to keep in mind is the Ruger has a 1 in 9 twist barrel. So if you want to lob 75 or 77 grainers downrange, they're probably gonna come out of the muzzle sideways. [laugh]

-Mike

I went with the Ruger SR-556. The M&P15 they had was the 15R which I wasn't interested in.

The Sig weighed a pound more then the Ruger, felt & sounded cheaply made, had a horrible trigger and was not a standard AR reciever.

Now if I could get the Troy rail covers on it I would be happy.

And ever more happy if I found a buyer for the Troy folding front sight so I can put a Troy folding tritium sight on it.

If you look on Ruger's website, They have a MA compliant version. Four Seasons informed me that it will be available any day now. I'll be one of the first in line to but one![smile]

I have an Adams piston and it functions beautifully. My next build will use one of the new ops-416 piston kits. I think they really have something there. From osprey defense. After a couple hundred rounds through the Adams equipped AR, the bolt was just a bit warmer than ambient and only a tiny bit of residue on the bolt face which I removed with my pinky finger. I like!

I'm partial to the Adams Arms kit, a licensed reproduction of which is offered on the S&W M&P 15's.

I've beaten the crap out of mine (>4,000 rounds), and it's still ticking.

The nice thing about the S&W version is that the gas block is PINNED, and not held in place by set screws like the Adam Arms retrofit version is.

On the M&P 15's, it would be advisable to have a barrel with no permanently attached muzzle break (or a pre-ban, if you have one). Rationale: It will be much easier to remove the gas block for cleaning/maintenance if needed.

-slut

I have the POF upper and can tell you it is awesome. But I don't see a problem saving yourself some money and getting an Adams arms conversion kit. Anyone that gives you crap about getting a piston driven AR has never had the pleasure of cleaning one [wink].

Back
Top Bottom