• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Go ahead, make my day. Which 6 inch 44 mag?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
I know that a lot of people have a soft spot in their hearts for S&W revolvers, but who should I look at for a 6 inch, 44 mag revolver?

And blue or stainless?

Thanks

granny%20get%20your%20guns.jpg

If you plan on shooting it a lot, Ruger Redhawk.
And lots of ice packs for your hand. My buddy says it will "Make a grown man cry" when he talks about his.
Now this, does not inflict pain in the shooter, and the cool factor is at least 8 out of 10. And shooting 44 special through her is like shooting a 22.

1678961534824.png

And lots of ice packs for your hand. My buddy says it will "Make a grown man cry" when he talks about his.
Now this, does not inflict pain in the shooter, and the cool factor is at least 8 out of 10. And shooting 44 special through her is like shooting a 22.

View attachment 732285
Not always true, all depends on the grips.
But I’d use any excuse to show that beauty off too. 😉
CCFDBC66-D0A3-40B3-95E4-530F17B2C681.jpeg

Last edited:
Ohhh, a subtle flex thread. I’m down!

I respect a classic blued .44 but I really like the look of a full lug and agree that stainless is easy to maintain, though getting it super clean is a task. The weighted barrel makes that thing downright pleasant to shoot even spicy spice loads.
7630DB2C-6E45-4A82-B5B7-59B5F175A8A7.jpeg

View attachment 732285
I found it to be the exact opposite: shooting a 29 really pounds me in the web of the hand. The Redhawk grip distributes the recoil over the entire hand in my experience.

I like blued handguns, but after pistol-whipping someone who deserves it, you'll find blood and little bits of face can be cleaned out much easier with stainless.

smith and wesson 29 stainless 4 inch barrel will conceal in a good shoulder rig or belt holster using a heavy steel reenforced belt; i use a rob leamy simply rugged pancake holster. mine is early stainless 4" with pinned barrel and recessed cylinder: love it

Last edited:
If you plan on shooting it a lot, Ruger Redhawk.
As usual PatMcD is correct. I have 2 629's a 4" and 6" and they are fine guns but the Redhawk is built tougher. It weighs more which is good (recoil reduction) and bad (not going to CC it anyway) but has 3 points of lock up allowing you to shoot blazing hot rounds. Reloading is the best way to enjoy a 44 mag with loading comfortable range rounds to crazy 270 gn loads for pig hunting (with a buddy backing you up with a shotgun!)

Oh and be careful when you are learing to shoot the thing. My 4" with full loads wants to tatoo your forhead with the S&W hammer and YouTube is full of videos where people "double fire". The first round forces the gun up in the air and the natural reaction is to accidenly pull the trigger again. I only let people shoot 1 round at a time to start.

Have fun, and this is one of the rare times where I'll say RELOAD your own ammo for it.

Watch this first before firing, this man knows what he is talking about

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU

As usual PatMcD is correct. I have 2 629's a 4" and 6" and they are fine guns but the Redhawk is built tougher. It weighs more which is good (recoil reduction) and bad (not going to CC it anyway) but has 3 points of lock up allowing you to shoot blazing hot rounds. Reloading is the best way to enjoy a 44 mag with loading comfortable range rounds to crazy 270 gn loads for pig hunting (with a buddy backing you up with a shotgun!)

Oh and be careful when you are learing to shoot the thing. My 4" with full loads wants to tatoo your forhead with the S&W hammer and YouTube is full of videos where people "double fire". The first round forces the gun up in the air and the natural reaction is to accidenly pull the trigger again. I only let people shoot 1 round at a time to start.

Have fun, and this is one of the rare times where I'll say RELOAD your own ammo for it.

Watch this first before firing, this man knows what he is talking about

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU

Holy sheep shit. I had no idea. And no one ever mentioned this.

Damn!!!

All good answers above. I'm partial to the blued S&W model 29 myself. Harry Callahan carried a 6 1/2" blued model in a Bucheimer-Clark shoulder holster. (not the 8 3/8")

Ref: An Official Journal Of The NRA | Dirty Harry's Model 29: America's Shooting Star

“I know what you’re thinking. ‘Did he fire six shots or only five?’ Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom